What to eat before and after a workout.

Options
What do you eat before and after a workout? Not sure if I am getting it right.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Varies from lots to nothing as it depends on the workout and the time of day.
    100 mile cycle ride is different to an hour of weights.
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I eat a protein bar before starting my exercise. My favorite is the Kirkland brand from Costco. Chocolate chip cookie dough, yum!
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Depends what kind of exercise you're doing. For me personally, something light like dates and a banana before strength training as I go first thing in the morning, and after is something high carb, high protein.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    t1me wrote: »
    What do you eat before and after a workout? Not sure if I am getting it right.

What do you mean by "getting it right"?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    About an hour before lifting I have a snack with protein and an espresso, then right before/during I have candy. After I have lunch which is usually chicken and vegetables.
  • OGingerBeardMan
    OGingerBeardMan Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I work out at 5 am so typically go right to the gym after waking up. What seems to be working well for me is just to make sure that I get plenty of protein during the day to encourage muscle repair/maintenance.
  • t1me
    t1me Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks, very helpful.
  • tomica13
    tomica13 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5am clubber. I've started having a serving of Heinz BBQ baked beans about 30 minutes before I hit the gym. They're not bad - plus I have many Brit fitness friends and that's a staple in their breakfasts. I have a protein shake made with unsweetened almond milk about 30 minutes after I get home. I'm going to be adding an egg or lean meat to the beans this week. Hope this helps.
  • TodoPoder
    TodoPoder Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I eat 6oz of chicken breast for protein 1 potato for carbs to fuel my workout, lots of water before during and after workout.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I just got back from my afternoon ride...now I'm having lunch.

Outside of being a competitive athlete, this doesn't really matter much. Things aren't really that complicated.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    i have a carby snack about an hour before, and then i eat my typical lunch immediately after. Not for performance or anything. it's just how my schedule is.