Forever Rollercoaster Ride

Options
I feel like I've taken a stab at a healthy lifestyle more times than I can count. But how many times do I have to start over before I actually stick to it? Looking for some tips for how you maintain your lifestyle changes! 💪🏻🥦

Replies

• Iamsimpleguy
    Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Hello, @aeborowski you are on the right platform. Welcome to MFP, Enter your food diary daily and keep tracking your calories, try to do small exercises. Keep active yourself. All the best!! Feel free to add me :)

For a Newbie check this link http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • AphroditesBrat
    AphroditesBrat Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Well, first off what sort of things did you try in the past? The best way to figure out where it went wrong is to analyze how you ended up flopping it in the past. Sometimes it can be a bad meal, that turns into bad meals, that turns into days, weeks or months. The idea is, if you flop a day, you flop a day, but just think of the next day with a clean slate and forget that you overate the day before and don't let it bring you down.
    Another thing is, some people might set unrealistic calorie goals. If you put the goal really low and don't exercise to "earn" the extra calories, you very low calorie intake is gonna make you extremely drained and fatigued which will either make you sick or make you start overeating again. Set them more realistic to your lifestyle and safely. When buying from stores always read the nutrition facts on the back of the packages before you buy (including the serving size), try to avoid things that you think might set off binge eating (like I have a habit of overeating perogies, I love those) Get used to making smaller portions (which can be hard if its something you really like) Protein is pretty important for cutting or gaining, so make sure you have enough of that in your diet, it will help you build or maintain muscle. Since when you are cutting you will also sometimes lose some of your muscle a long with the fat. Some protein and strength training(try to hit each muscle group in the week) can help with that.
    And one of the biggest things I already kinda mentioned, forgive yourself if you have a bad eating day. A lot of the time people will get depressed from it, but just don't let it get you down. Think about why you it happened and adjust your diet as needed.
    Thats all just off the top of my head for now, but I wish you luck in your endeavors!
  • aeborowski
    aeborowski Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Truly great advice! Thank you!
  • beatthereaper2016
    beatthereaper2016 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Ive had the same issue for years and to be frank, i had to just be honest with myself and make a conscious decision to get healthy. It starts with doing a full accounting of where you are REALLY at not what you tell yourself. From that point one can make changes. Add me if you like. I have a small but effective and willong to help group of friends. JIM
  • nomasexcuses
    nomasexcuses Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add! I've been a serial quitter for a long time but not this time!
  • oceanreadygirl
    oceanreadygirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the start again cycle. I'm here again and already see the discipline it gives. It made me want to do my exercise last night even though I was tired and would otherwise have skipped it, because I didn't want to end the day in the red! Please feel free to add me as a friend and maybe we can encourage each other to keep going! Have a great day :-)