George Forman Grill?

Options
sc1572
sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
I have one for my apartment and am a sophomore in college with one roommate. However, she is unhealthy, and I try not to be. I love making grilled chicken...but what else can I make with this?! Preferably cheap and healthy. :)

THANKS <3

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I use it when the weather prevents me from using my real grill, so I do steaks, sausage, chicken, pork...

I don't eat veggies, but I don't see why you couldn't do kabobs too.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I don't use mine to replace charcoal grilling. Not nearly as tasty.

However, I do use it to replace pan-frying. I do:
    fish
    turkey burgers
    chicken
    burgers
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Veggies - you can buy frozen when not in season
  • Txifonly
    Txifonly Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Fish is good in the George Foreman Shrimp is too. And veggies! I sliced a yellow summer squash and put the slices on the George and they were wonderful. Have also grilled mushroom slices on it. Hamburgers (or turkey burgers) work too. Just about anything you can grill in a pan can be cooked on the George.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas
  • KatyRing
    KatyRing Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    everything!
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    What do you all use to spray yours with to keep the foods from sticking or do you need too?

What sizes do you recommend?

Does the lid go all the way down, guess what I'm really asking is when cooking a steak or chicken breast how does it fit in, or does the lid just come down far enough and it cooks any way?

For some reason I can't picture cooking anything in it with bulk but actually never tried so don't know all the secrets:smokin: yet:laugh:

Any down side on the Grill for anyone that used it or all positive experiences?

Thanks for passing along any help:drinker:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    breakfast sandwiches with eggs and veggies and cheese!
  • Txifonly
    Txifonly Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I use Pam to spray, and yes I have found that it needs to be sprayed. The only "cons" I can think of are 1) it's not the easiest thing to clean unless you have one of the newer ones where you can take it apart and put it in the dishwasher and 2) it just isn't big enough to hold enough for 4 people so sometimes it takes a couple of rounds to get enough.

The lid (on mine at least) just sits on the top. It is heated as well as the bottom so it will cook from both sides. I have a large one and 2 small ones. (Blended family and we each had one when we got married.) and some things don't fit as well on the small ones, like a chicken breast that hasn't been butterflied. If it is thicker on one end then the smaller end won't get cooked as well.

We have used parchment paper quite a lot when cooking seafood. Make an envelope out of the paper by folding the edges together, then put the seafood inside and the sauce (ie: lemon dill sauce or teriyaki glaze) and it will keep from making quite as much mess.

Happy grilling!!!
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    I use Pam to spray, and yes I have found that it needs to be sprayed. The only "cons" I can think of are 1) it's not the easiest thing to clean unless you have one of the newer ones where you can take it apart and put it in the dishwasher and 2) it just isn't big enough to hold enough for 4 people so sometimes it takes a couple of rounds to get enough.

The lid (on mine at least) just sits on the top. It is heated as well as the bottom so it will cook from both sides. I have a large one and 2 small ones. (Blended family and we each had one when we got married.) and some things don't fit as well on the small ones, like a chicken breast that hasn't been butterflied. If it is thicker on one end then the smaller end won't get cooked as well.

We have used parchment paper quite a lot when cooking seafood. Make an envelope out of the paper by folding the edges together, then put the seafood inside and the sauce (ie: lemon dill sauce or teriyaki glaze) and it will keep from making quite as much mess.

Happy grilling!!!
    Thank you Thank you! Great tips, so appreciated:happy: :flowerforyou:

Keep em' coming folks, would love more ideas and tips...:drinker: :wink:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I have never sprayed mine with anything and I don't think it's too hard to clean. I just scrape the mess with that little spatula while it is still warmed up, and then wipe it clean with a wet rag after it is cooled down, and it comes clean easily every time. I do have a newer one, though.

I may try to use a spray next time to see if I like it, though.
  • ash1976
    ash1976 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Salmon's good.
  • liza001
    liza001 Posts: 77
    Options
    I have I think the biggest one you can buy... It's got a coating so it's easy to clean and I don't spray it.... I use mine most days.. From toasted sandwiches to mainly grilling veggies... Zucchini (summer squash) , snow peas, asparagus, capsicum, mushrooms, sweet potato, pumpkin (winter squash) corn, Carrot.... I have it at my office, so I've fried eggs on it too... The food is great from it.. You do have to try and cut everything at an even thickness if you want it char grill look on both sides... As well as cooking times...
  • liza001
    Options
    Oh and toasting nuts.... Gosh the list is long! Onions... garlic... Apples, pears, pineapple, bananas... I don't know... ... ... If you can cook it you can put it on the grill... Everything tastes great... :laugh:
  • grandmanita
    grandmanita Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I use mine for all meats and fish and some vegetables, asparagus, potatoes, squash. It's primarily all I cook on, I don't think I could live without one now! It's food in it's most natural state and the awareness of the flavor is amazing.
  • jimmychoo2shoes
    Options
    I use mine to make grilled sandwiches. You have also made quesadillas in mine. I never spray mine and have not had trouble cleaning it. You do have to make sure things are pretty even thickness, as others have mentioned. Also, meats that are marinated have been difficult for me. The sauce kinda burns up and turns to a gooey mess. I've only done it once, because it made a big mess, so not sure if certain marinades would work okay. Like, maybe just some lime or lemon juice on some fish would be okay, but a barbecue sauce wouldn't.
  • routerguy666
    Options
    All the usual stuff mentioned above.

Also kabobs are very easy to make on it. We make them just by cutting chunks up of tomatoes, red/yellow/green peppers and red onions and skewering alongside turkey italian sausage. Works great, very tasty. You can get the kabob skewers for cheap at the grocery store, just soak them in water a while so they don't torch in the Forman.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Thank you so much to each of you, so many wonderful suggestions! I had thought of veggie/fruit kabobs but it's things like that I wasn't sure how it would work in the GF grill. It truly DOES sound like everything can be cooked in one. Fried eggs, for real? Wow!

So for every one cooking in one, you always shut the lid and even an egg etc. doesn't get all gooey on the upper lid? Guess I'll have to pick one up and experiment. A maz ing:love:

Looking forward to not turning the oven on and trying out new ideas from you all! Roasted nuts! I would have never even thought of that one either.:drinker:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I have an older model that can not be taken apart. Easy cleaning tip.... scrape what you can off with the plastic thingy, plug it in and let it warm up a bit (not hot), mist it with water and wipe with a paper towel (repete as needed). I have not had to use any spray or oil on the thing since the first use. I use mine quite often on marinated chicken filets, salmon, burgers (turkey and beef), pork loin and steaks.
  • liza001
    Options
    Fried eggs... It's all I have to cook on at work... I leave the lid up... And I have to hold the slope up (put things under front legs..). and it has to be hot... Tomatoes sticks and cheese I haven't overcome the problem of grilling cheese I've even tried foil etc... But it sticks.. Tomatoes are ok.. They do look that great still taste great and I have to gently open the lid... Sometime as I open a little prior them off the lid... :laugh: