Help! I’m addicted to crisps!!! 😫

Options
carriediamond00
carriediamond00 Posts: 7 Member
edited June 2019 in Food and Nutrition
I think I’m addicted to crisps! I always do so well with my diet and exercise during the day then ruin it when the salty buggars call to me from the cupboard in the evening when I’m tired. I can’t not have them in the house as have two sporty kids who are both a healthy weight and like them as a treat. I’ve ruined my diet just before bed the last few nights by eating two or three bags. So frustrated with myself 🤬 Anyone else cursed with this affliction??

Replies

• carriediamond00
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I’m eating enough and so not necessarily hungry at that point just craving them so much I give in. I can take or leave sweet things these days. It’s weird.

I like the kids bin idea! Think I’ll try that. 😃
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Is it the salt? And crunch? When I start craving stuff like that I try thinly sliced cucumber that I lightly salt. Or sliced radishes. Or some other crisp vegetable.

It's not perfect and may not work every time, but it's working often enough 😄

There is also air popped popcorn that is a lot less calories as long as there is no butter or at least a very low amount of it.

I would say having them in a cupboard or somewhere you don't always get into daily helps too. They won't always be in your face.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I think the kid's jar is a good idea, but some other ideas:

Can you try eating some with dinner? I find it easier personally to just not eat after dinner or between meals, since snacking is harder for me to control. (I would consider a dessert immediately after dinner to be a continuation of dinner.)

Or, can you save calories for a bag and then have that as an evening treat? If one of the issues is feeling like you shouldn't have them, then that approach might make it easier and if you wanted more you could tell yourself that you can have it tomorrow.

Also, for me treating my calories as a hard limit was helpful. Tell yourself you can have the crisps if they fit in your remaining cals.

One more: try eating something else -- if I want salty often a pickle will work, or salted radishes as someone else mentioned.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Popcorn or rice cakes with a flavour shaker is what I use to try to avoid the crisps. It's not quite the same experience, but at least gives me the crunchy salt and vinegar hit. I can't have crisps in the house, or I will eat them until I am sick.

Is there a flavour you can buy for the kids that is less tempting to you? My husband loves sour cream and onion, but they're one of my least favourite. If he buys those for himself, I'll never touch the bag.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    You can make a fat free facsimile of potato chips in the microwave. But keep in mind there are calories in potatoes too.

Thiny slice a potato on a mandolin or in the food processor. Line a large plate with silicon baking paper or re-usable silicon mesh. Place the potato slices in a single layer on the plate and season. I like to use vinegar salt. Zap at full power 6 minutes. Remove any that are golden brown to cool on another plate. Continue to zap stragglers at 1 minute intervals being careful because the margin of error between golden brown and burnt is quite small. As these cool, they turn very crisp.

You might consider portioning out crispy salty fatty snacks that take longer to eat, such unshelled pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds.
  • carriediamond00
    Options
    Thanks so much for the recipe! Going to try it.. and still count the calories of course.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I think I’m addicted to crisps! I always do so well with my diet and exercise during the day then ruin it when the salty buggars call to me from the cupboard in the evening when I’m tired. I can’t not have them in the house as have two sporty kids who are both a healthy weight and like them as a treat. I’ve ruined my diet just before bed the last few nights by eating two or three bags. So frustrated with myself 🤬 Anyone else cursed with this affliction??

They are actually a nightmare. I am not even that keen on crisps as I dont really like crunchy or crispy food but if I am around them or someone brings them into the house I will eat them.

And as for 'sharing bag', I dont understand that concept??!!

Why dont you keep them in the car or the shed? (if you have either)
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Crisps are one thing I absolutely cannot keep in the house. I'm fine with having a small portion (put in a plate or bowl never straight from the bag because it is easy to lose track of portion sizes) if we are at a party or someone's house but if it's in the pantry I keep going back for "just 1 more" It's actually happened this week, we brought home a leftover bag from a party and I thought I could portion it off but I kept going back for more so I gave the bag to my husband and told him to either hide it or bring it to work.

I can't tell myself I will NEVER have certain foods again or that leads me to binge on that food but I can make sure to keep some stuff out of the house and only have it on special occasions. The kids don't NEED chips so they'll be fine, if they really want some and get to whining maybe you can give them a bit of money and send them to buy themselves individual bags? Sometimes if they have to put in a bit of work to get something they change their minds pretty quickly!
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Can't you just factor them in to your daily calorie allowance?
  • nooboots
    Options
    sefajane1 wrote: »

I dont know about the OP but if you just cant stop eating them, then you could easily work your way through a bag for about 1500 calories which doesnt really leave a lot of room.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to bread - really bad trigger food for me. So I avoid the local bakeries - problem solved for me...
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful to brush my teeth ready for bed earlier than usual which means then I don’t fancy snacking later in the evening as I’ve got that minty taste in my mouth and also can’t be bothered to re-brush again after snacking.
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    nooboots wrote: »

I dont know about the OP but if you just cant stop eating them, then you could easily work your way through a bag for about 1500 calories which doesnt really leave a lot of room.

1500 calories per bag! What size bags are they? We have 130-150g bags at around 500 calories / 100g so, maximum of 750 calories. If, like the OP, you know you like crisps in the evening then just set aside some calories (maybe 150-200) for them and portion that amount out into a bowl or plate.

I've eaten next to nothing (daily) over the years (ex ED) but still managed to fit some crisps into my calories 😊
  • nooboots
    Options
    nooboots wrote: »

1500 calories per bag! What size bags are they? We have 130-150g bags at around 500 calories / 100g so, maximum of 750 calories. If, like the OP, you know you like crisps in the evening then just set aside some calories (maybe 150-200) for them and portion that amount out into a bowl or plate.

I've eaten next to nothing (daily) over the years (ex ED) but still managed to fit some crisps into my calories 😊

Yes you're correct 750 calories! (Kettle chips or equivalent)

A bargain!

I used to try the bowl trick but then you know the rest of them are there in the cupboard, already open, waiting for you to come and finish them.