what do you think? help please

Options
it seems as I don’t eat the 1200 that they say I should and that if I don’t I may be putting my body through starvation mode I don’t want that but I feel like I eat a lot what should I do try to eat the 1200 or just be fine with where I’m at? like today I ate 820 calories I know its not to far away 400 or so off. I don't want my metabolism to stop working or slow down but I don't really want to eat if I don't feel like it I don't know what do you guys think?

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine, check out this article for some peace of mind from all the cries of starvation mode: http://tinyurl.com/starvationmode

"Recently we discussed the myth that dieting can lead to an eating disorders and saw this common dieting myth was in accurate. Another common dieting myth held by people is that they may not be losing weight because they are in the "starvation mode" from eating to few calories. And, in response to the intake of this low calorie level, their body has gone into "starvation mode" and slowed down their metabolism and is holding on to the weight. The usual recommendation to get out of starvation mode and allow the body to lose more weight, is to consume more calories. Eat more calories, to lose more weight.

Really?

Well, for anyone struggling to lose weight, this may sound sensible, but as you will see, it, like most other dieting myths, it is inaccurate. A few things to consider before we get to the "starvation mode."

First, the human body, as is our world, is governed by the laws of physics. Body weight is a product of energy balance. We can not violate the laws of physics and thermodynamics. The energy we consume must go somewhere and to maintain a certain level of weight, and equivalent amount of energy must be consumed and an equilibrium must be achieved.

Second, in regard to metabolism, about >70% of our base metabolism is driven by our brain and other vital organs and is not really effected by food consumption as I discussed in the metabolism blog. We have little impact on this basal metabolic rate.

Third, most attempts to accurately track food consumption under report (intentionally and/or not intentionally) by about 30 and attempts to tract exercise and activities levels over report by up to 50%. Even professionals can be as much as 30% off or more. This is usually part of the problem tat people are not accurately determining their caloric intake and output.

Now, in regard to the "starvation" mode, someone who has extra body weight and body fat is not in any "starvation mode" where they need to 'kick start" their metabolism by eating more calories. You can not "eat more" calories to force your body to "lose weight".

In regard to metabolism, if you are overweight/overfat, you can not cause your metabolism to decrease below a level needed to lose weight while you have extra weight/fat on you, and you can not "lose more weight by eating more calories/food." This is a misunderstanding of the principles of metabolism that does not apply to overweight people trying to lose weight.

Let's say we look at someone who says they are only eating only 800 calories and not losing weight. A well meaning and good intentioned friend (or professional) has told them they are in starvation mode and in order to lose weight and/or kick-start their metabolism, they need to eat more. But, what if instead of eating more, what do you think would happen if instead they just stopped eating altogether? Would they go further into starvation mode and continue to stay at the same weight or maybe even "gain" weight?

Clearly, they would lose more weight if they stopped eating altogether.

We all know (especially those who are familiar with fasting) that if you were to stop eating completely and just live on pure water, you would start to lose weight almost instantly and would continue to do so.

But according to this theory of the "starvation mode," if you were really in it and you fasted, by its own rational you would lose less weight if any at all, not more. We know this is not accurate.

So, where did this myth come from?

There is a true phenomenon known as the starvation response and it is well documented in the Minnesota Starvation experiments and the Hunger Fasts that have been studied. However, it only happens in humans when they lose enough body fat that they fall below the level of essential fat. In a man, this would be below around 5% fat and in women just above that.

Most humans will look like holocaust survivors at that time. Here is a picture of some of the subjects from the famous Minnesota Starvation experiments from the 1940s. Even at this point, after months of a low calorie diet with heavy exercise, they were not yet in the so-called "starvation mode" where they experienced significant metabolic changes. If you have more weight/fat on you then them, then neither are you

[Picture didn't post, see article]

In addition, when this point is truly reached, the body does make several metabolic shifts to preserve itself and if it is not feed more calories, can cease to exist. It is a matter of life and death. Hence the name.

This is not the same thing that happens when someone who is overweight and has a high percentage of body fat, is not losing weight. Usually it is due to an inaccurate assesment of their energy balance.

Now, it is possible that a medical condition, like hypothyroid could contribute to a slowed metabolism. However, if someone was to have a thyroid problem, it is easy to diagnose and can be easily treated. But, then we are right back to my points above and dealing with an energy balance issue.

So, if you are overweight and/or overfat and not losing weight, the most important thing to do is re-evaluate your energy balance. And the best way to do this is to focus on foods that are low in calorie density (and high in nutrient density) and mantain a healthy level of activity. "
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Honestly. I don't care what any article or "expert" says - when I don't eat enough -- I gain weight. After being on this journey for the last 18 months, I KNOW - without a shred of doubt - that eating too little (for me) makes me gain. I consume 2200-2500 net calories a day and I am happily maintaining 143-145lbs. When I consume close to 3000 net calories - I lose more weight, but since I HATE the way I feel consuming that many calories I choose to maintain where I am. When I go under 2000, I slowly gain weight.

This does not happen to me overnight by any means, but if I keep eating too few calories - I see a slow increase (I will jump back up to 150lbs usually within 10 days to 2 weeks).

Not everyone's body works exactly as an "expert" or article states that it should. In theory, with my weight what it is and my height - I shouldn't have to consume more than 1500-1600 calories a day, but I do.

Everyone needs to figure out what works for THEM. (And I can assure you that there are MANY more people on this website who will tell you that as soon as they started eating more - they saw the scale begin to move again -- that is NOT a myth).
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    eat more calorie dense foods.... nuts/nut butter, dried fruit, avocado, salmon, whole grains - like quinoa or brown rice, etc...
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Honestly. I don't care what any article or "expert" says - when I don't eat enough -- I gain weight. After being on this journey for the last 18 months, I KNOW - without a shred of doubt - that eating too little (for me) makes me gain. I consume 2200-2500 net calories a day and I am happily maintaining 143-145lbs. When I consume close to 3000 net calories - I lose more weight, but since I HATE the way I feel consuming that many calories I choose to maintain where I am. When I go under 2000, I slowly gain weight.

This does not happen to me overnight by any means, but if I keep eating too few calories - I see a slow increase (I will jump back up to 150lbs usually within 10 days to 2 weeks).

Not everyone's body works exactly as an "expert" or article states that it should. In theory, with my weight what it is and my height - I shouldn't have to consume more than 1500-1600 calories a day, but I do.

Everyone needs to figure out what works for THEM. (And I can assure you that there are MANY more people on this website who will tell you that as soon as they started eating more - they saw the scale begin to move again -- that is NOT a myth).

^^^^ I am one of these people! ^^^
  • healthyJenn0915
    Options
    Interesting reading all of this! I am one of those people as well. I worked out 5 days a week before joing this site, and didn't see the scale budge at all! Once I started logging my calories I realized I wasn't eating enough each day. Once I started making sure I hit at least 1200 calories a day the weight started coming off. If I am really far under, I eat some peanut butter with an apple or whole wheat toast to make up for it!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    it seems as I don’t eat the 1200 that they say I should and that if I don’t I may be putting my body through starvation mode I don’t want that but I feel like I eat a lot what should I do try to eat the 1200 or just be fine with where I’m at? like today I ate 820 calories I know its not to far away 400 or so off. I don't want my metabolism to stop working or slow down but I don't really want to eat if I don't feel like it I don't know what do you guys think?

Honestly, I don't know what to think about "starvation mode" - I suspect that the term gets thrown around too much and that we really don't know if that is the situation for people or not. I don't think it kicks in after a week of under eating, our bodies are more robust than that, but if you are undereating for a longer period of time, it makes sense that your body will slow down some "less essential" processes to conserve energy.

It also seems to me that if you are consistently eating very low calorie (and only 800 cals in a day is pretty low for most people) then you are running the risk that you aren't getting good nutrition and are probably missing out on nutrients, vitamins, minerals etc that your body needs. It also doesn't sounds like very many calories to give you energy to do all the things you want to do in a day.

My own opinion is that it is too low and not sustainable and that you would be wise to have a look at your diet and how you can eat more healthy food to give you a good balance of nutrition to keep you healthy. Perhaps a nutritionist could help?
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    I don't even know what to say to this. Please eat at least 1200 calories a day... Lemme put it to you this way.... when you eat less... your body try to preserve every ounce of fat you have left because its thinking there is famine and it wont get any energy from now on...

.... you might lose weight in short term, but you'll gain it back....
  • Gypsy_MerMom
    Gypsy_MerMom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    oh I'm not doing this on purpose I'm not not eating my 1200 calories to try to lose weight it's just lately I've notice I haven't eaten enough and wonder if I'm just like 400 calories away does it hurt me or does it not matter and thanks to everyone for replying and replying so fast this does help me think about what I should do
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Let me be clear, I'm not endorsing purposefully eating under 1200, or under 1000 or whatever other low amounts of calories for extended periods of time. The point that I was trying to make is that people around here throw around the term "starvation mode" so much it's starting to become a total fear factor/go to answer for everything.

Not losing? Starvation Mode!
    Plateau? Starvation Mode!
    Gaining? Starvation Mode!
    Losing too fast? Starvation Mode!
    Ate less than 1200 calories for day? Uh oh, you're going to send your body spiraling into, dun dun dun...Starvation Mode!

Yes, everyone's needs are different, and that's part of makes weight loss so difficult and even more difficult to maintain. But it takes a lot to make a body actually get into "starvation mode" . Here's a another article I found while researching this awhile back, the english is mildly broken, but the point is clear: http://ezine.pk/?The-myths-about-weight-loss&id=683

Here's an excerpt: "2- You are in starvation mode: OK, so this one was my favorite. If you eat more, you gain fat, if you eat less, you get into a so-called ‘starvation mode’. From many forums and users I saw information such as ‘never eat below your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate which is the amount of calories needed for the vital functions only)’, never eat below calorie requirement x or you will be in the dreaded starvation mode. While everyone seems to be throwing around the jargon they know, no one seems to comprehend that starvation mode occurs when the body is starving, not when you provide it a 1000 calories less than usual or when you skip dinner. If our bodies were this weak, we would have become extinct a very long time ago. Plus if you dont move much and keep on eating your bmr, you are not going to lose an ounce, so good luck.
    3- You slowed your metabolism: Related to the dreaded starvation mode. So someone comes in with 1000-1200 calories, the gurus deem it too low, and suddenly the person is in starvation mode and has slowed his/her metabolism, so their body clings to fat. There are so many things wrong with this view point that I dont know where to begin. As mentioned previously, the dreaded starvation mode occurs when you are really starving for days at a stretch. There actually has been scientific evidence that a fast of upto 72 hrs actually causes your body to use more calories than usual. Secondly, metabolism, while having the ability to slow down, cannot slow down infinitely. The body can only change its BMR which, if you are remotely active, counts for 50-70% of your total expenditure anyway. Calories spent while moving or exercising are dependent on your total body weight. Laws of physics are universal and demand that to calculate total work done, you use the body’s mass. Unless you changed that (by losing weight), you will be spending the same amount of calories performing an exercise (given intensity and other factors are constant). Furthermore, even the changes in BMR are small. If the body could shut down your metabolism because it is not getting enough food, no one will ever die of starvation. Humans will just shut off their metabolisms and go on living for years without food. Furthermore, the idea that when you provide body with less food, it clings to fat, is downright stupid. The body stored that extra fat to use in case of food scarcity to begin with. If it is not going to use fat as a preferential energy source when faced with that scarcity, that means there is something terribly wrong with our understanding of why body stores fat to begin with."

I just want people to not be so scared that a few days of calorie mistakes or even a few weeks worth is not going to destroy their bodies like people around here seem to like to try to instill in folks. :(
  • lennykat
    lennykat Posts: 89
    Options

Furthermore, the idea that when you provide body with less food, it clings to fat, is downright stupid. The body stored that extra fat to use in case of food scarcity to begin with.

Okay, so this is a key statement here ^^^^^^, Experts and article writers and even some scientists are forgetting the emotional aspect of being overweight- especially an overweight woman. If we had ever CONSISTANTLY ate correctly and exercised correctly we probably wouldn't be on MFP or even asking for help. Many of these experts are experts without ever "walking a mile in our shoes" to be cliche.

I'm going to assume that the term "starvation mode" is used to generalize a societal problem which is this: You feel good about yourself, you go on about life then....you see a picture of yourself. You freak out, stop eating(that's the scarcity you state), exercise like you're being chased by a dinosaur and all this goes on for about a month you may lose a pound or two but then you start feeling good about yourself you go to a party and eat an entire pizza and drink a 6 pack of beer because "hey you deserve it right?" This scenerio goes on and on and on until low and behold--- you see another picture of yourself and it all starts over again. This doesn't happen once or twice but goes on for years and years and years. So basically you have a 21st century version of indulging and famine-- not caused by a Saber Tooth Tiger but the beast called "SOCIETY."
    I just want people to not be so scared that a few days of calorie mistakes or even a few weeks worth is not going to destroy their bodies like people around here seem to like to try to instill in folks. :(

This right here ^^^^^is underestimating the intelligence of the many people on here who have seen success by eating normally, and nutritionally accurate . They have seen success just by putting themselves out there not for a couple of days or weeks but by months of trusting that consistency.

I know that some on here throw around the "starvation mode" thing quite liberally-- but how do the "experts" know that the person asking hasn't been cycling through not eating and bingeing for years and years? They may just be another victim of the beast, and their body is responding the only way it knows how in order to survive. The answer to those freaking out is probably GIVE IT TIME--LOTS AND LOTS OF TIME!

So before quoting lots of experts and scientists, maybe take a look at some of "unexact science" and statistics of the people on this site-- the success fair outweighs everything else. It is my opinion that this issue of "starvation mode" isn't as much physical science but sociological science. If you take a look at it that way-- the answer becomes a lot clearer.

Me personally- I've been on this starve/binge cycle since I was 30 years old (I'm 39 now) and I've lost 10, gained 10, lost 10, gained 15...because I saw Christmas pictures, I've been working like a fiend since Janurary, joined MFP in April not done anythiing but gain 6lbs- upped my calories and started to trust the system 2 weeks ago and have dropped 10lbs. Now is the time I have to trust consistency and keep going instead of going overboard on a Friday night with pizza/beer/icecream...whatever all in the name of feeling a bit better about myself.

I'm not clinically obese- in fact my body fat % is in the acceptable category when using my measurements and considering I weigh over 190lbs-- I just want to lose the excess and look better.
  • vanny94
    vanny94 Posts: 1
    Options
    Check out this website: eateverythree.com. Never starve yourself. Always be mindful of what you are eating and what you are going to eat. Avoid dairy and peanuts if you can, they cause an inflammatory response to the body. When I decided to skip dairy I immediately lost 5 pounds. Also, try to leave a daily calorie deficit.
    You are doing great, it's not supposed to be easy or quick. Be patient and you will meet and keep your set goals. Do something (stay active) everyday, even on your off day.
    Take care.
    V
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options

Honestly, I don't know what to think about "starvation mode" - I suspect that the term gets thrown around too much and that we really don't know if that is the situation for people or not. I don't think it kicks in after a week of under eating, our bodies are more robust than that, but if you are undereating for a longer period of time, it makes sense that your body will slow down some "less essential" processes to conserve energy.

It also seems to me that if you are consistently eating very low calorie (and only 800 cals in a day is pretty low for most people) then you are running the risk that you aren't getting good nutrition and are probably missing out on nutrients, vitamins, minerals etc that your body needs. It also doesn't sounds like very many calories to give you energy to do all the things you want to do in a day.

My own opinion is that it is too low and not sustainable and that you would be wise to have a look at your diet and how you can eat more healthy food to give you a good balance of nutrition to keep you healthy. Perhaps a nutritionist could help?

^^^^ THIS^^^^

800 calories is very very low, my toddlers eat more then that most days. Eventually it will catch up with you. if you decide to continue eating that low, make sure you are getting all the nutrients/protein etc that you need to function.
  • Gypsy_MerMom
    Options
    thanks wolfchild I feel better I understand what ur saying its ok if once in awhile I go under but not to make it a habit thanks :) it makes me feel better
  • Gypsy_MerMom
    Options
    thanks wolfchild I feel better I understand what ur saying its ok if once in awhile I go under but not to make it a habit thanks :) it makes me feel better
  • Gypsy_MerMom
    Options
    thanks everyone u guys are so helpful and caring I love the people of MFP and I do eat I never starve myself I eat it's just I never eat all the time but like my friend said this morning For breakfast eat like a KING and for lunch eat like a PRINCE and for dinner eat like a pauper which is what I'm gonna do seeing as I don't like eating a lot at night thanks aging to all u guys rock