What is the best way to start...

What is the best way to start..
Every time i start i seem to give up..

What keeps you going?

Hoping to lose about 30-35lbs before thanksgiving.

Replies

• SuperstarSparkle
    SuperstarSparkle Posts: 10 Member
    For me, I start with a plan and my end goal. Then I work my way backwards to acheive my goal. I ask myself lots of questions to determine my true objective. Then I ask for help in helping me get to my goal. IE life/fitness/wellness coaches.
  • SuperstarSparkle
    SuperstarSparkle Posts: 10 Member
    I hope that helps :D
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    The best way to start is to just start. Do something. Do anything. Just start right now.

At first keep it simple. Like stupid simple. I like to advocate a 3 step start.
    1. Put details into MFP and get calorie target.
    2. Get a food scale to accurately measure your food intake and log everything you eat by the gram using accurate database entries.
    3. Eat food you genuinely like in amounts that let you stick to your calorie goal. No judging food as 'junk' or 'healthy' or 'clean' or 'processed' or any of that. To begin with just eat food you like to eat, whatever it may be. (Once you're up and running you can fine tune the foods your eating to be better choices. For now it's about logging accurately and getting into a calorie deficit.

G'luck
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Danp wrote: »
    The best way to start is to just start. Do something. Do anything. Just start right now.

This. Don't wait for the new year, the new week or even tomorrow. Act now. Right this second. I started after dinner two and a half months ago. People put all this fanfare into the first step and then the excitement and honeymoon period of it fades fast and they're left with just the hard work and then they quit. Better to just start normally.

You also don't have to be perfect right off the bat. Get the bare bones of the thing and build from there. Getting hung up on perfection leads to a sense of failure, which is no way to be successful.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Skip the Thanksgiving deadline and just know that this takes time.

Start by recording everything you eat and find the calories for each food. At this point I wouldn't worry about meeting any calorie goals. It's a real eye opener when you see just how much food you're consuming. Once you know where you're coming from, it's easier to make a plan of where you want to go.

Start substituting your usual foods with healthier versions. Have MFP calculate your calories. At first just try to meet your calorie goal. Once you have a handle on that, think about getting enough protein.

Baby steps. Make this a lifestyle change.

Too often people make too many changes at once and they can't keep up and then they quit.