Eating post workout

Ive been told that people will eat immediately after lifting weights to fuel their body. Curious what to eat? Protien? Carbs? Anyone do this? Like litin the car after they worout?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Realistically you do not need to do this. The gains are minuscule enough that outside of elite athletes pushing their last .01 percent, it doesn't really matter to the average person. Fuel yourself properly throughout the day and your body will use that for muscle recovery regardless of how close to your workout you eat.

Yep. That ^^

Pretty sure I stole a good portion of that verbiage from you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    tamj73 wrote: »
    Ive been told that people will eat immediately after lifting weights to fuel their body.

Only if it just happens to occur that I'm lifting just before lunch or just before dinner.

Strength training is a low calorie burner and you have loads of fuel onboard already.
  • Twice_the_Beast
    Twice_the_Beast Posts: 1 Member
    Personally I have high gi carbs along with a whey protein shake -

Heard that from doing so your body replenishes glycogen stores in the muscle so that when u put protein in ur bodythe amino acids are not used by your muscles needs of glycogen, and the protein can be used for protein synthesis

But thats prob unnecessary just make sure your having an adequate amount of protein during the day and you'll be fine
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    I usually eat right after a tough workout, because I'm starving! There really isn't an issue with timing of nutrition. If you're looking to increase muscle mass just make sure your body has a steady supply of protein, make sure you have enough carbs so you have the energy to do a good workout and make sure you have adequate fat to keep your hormones buzzing along as they should.
  • lukejoycePT
    lukejoycePT Posts: 182 Member
    tamj73 wrote: »
    Ive been told that people will eat immediately after lifting weights to fuel their body. Curious what to eat? Protein? Carbs? Anyone do this? Like litin the car after they worout?

It's a myth my friend. If you want to eat after you have trained because you are hungry then have at it. You will not lose or gain muscle by not eating post workout. Your body doesn't work like that. Like the others say above, if you want to add muscle keep your protein high.