Logging accurately

dagrees
dagrees Posts: 32 Member
edited June 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I have had good success thus far.
25 pounds since Jan 8.
Things have stalled for the last few weeks.
I inderstand this is typical as one gets nearer to goal weight .
I have 13-14 lbs to get to goal of 140.
I know the advice is to tighten my logging, make sure I weigh everything( which I do). However how do I handle the inaccurate data base?
For example ground beef 95% lean has many entries, all varied, without verification.
Yes, I have managed well this far, but will need to be more accurate in order to continue to lose.
After 6 months I still don't know how to find the accurate entries!
Thanks for any help

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Try the USDA website.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Try the USDA website.

Yep, they have a database: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
  • dagrees
    Thanks for the replies and well wishes.
    Regarding the usda site that was copied and pasted above; lol I must be missing something, as I could not find calorie info.
    I do look up calories on a lot of my foods as I don't trust mfp data base,
    Guess this journey is not an exact science
    and I will come to to terms with that .
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    dagrees wrote: »
    Regarding the usda site that was copied and pasted above; lol I must be missing something, as I could not find calorie info.

They have a ground beef calculator. https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/beef/show

Also, make sure to click on the entry to get detailed info. It is listed as kcal.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

If you're not searching for a brand-name item, select "standard reference" from the drop-down menu in the "filter on database" field. Then type what you're looking for in the "enter one or more keywords" field. When you get a list of results, click on the one that describes the food you're looking for. You'll generally see columns for nutritional information based on different serving units (e.g., per 100 g., per 1 cup, per piece for fruits and veg, etc.). The first row will generally tell you the mass of water in each of those serving sizes. The second row will generally tell you the kilocalories for each of those serving sizes.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Staying patient and consistent is the key. Consider only your weight averaged over several days (at least 4, but 7 is more accurate). It's best to weigh in the morning after the toilet in the same level of dress. Daily fluctuations can be as big as 2 pounds or more and it can be disconcerting. Just keep trucking on and you will be in control of your weight!

Best of luck.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited June 2019
    The line that says energy= calories
    36qlcecdf4ao.png
    349 = calories for 4 oz
    312 = calories for 100 grams
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I also like to use this site, but haven’t seen it discussed on mfp
    wxkczg37b9cb.png
    I like all the extra information it gives you. I used it when I first found out I had some vitamin deficiencies to make sure I was getting more of those particular vitamins.
    gd6ons4szbap.png
    clsr5lt9sdbc.png
  • dagrees
    edited June 2019
    ^^^I took it as a stall occurring after losing for 6-12 months(which I am in ); not a stall that is lasting 6-12 months😳
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    I have had good success thus far.
    25 pounds since Jan 8.
    Things have stalled for the last few weeks.
    I inderstand this is typical as one gets nearer to goal weight .
    I have 13-14 lbs to get to goal of 140.
    I know the advice is to tighten my logging, make sure I weigh everything( which I do). However how do I handle the inaccurate data base?
    For example ground beef 95% lean has many entries, all varied, without verification.
    Yes, I have managed well this far, but will need to be more accurate in order to continue to lose.
    After 6 months I still don't know how to find the accurate entries!
    Thanks for any help

That is an awesome success story. At this point in your success a "stall" of 6-12 months is to be normal. Keep up your good work and give the last 10% some time perhaps.

As to accurate entry numbers they just do not exist the research on the subject identicate. They are ball park figures and are very helpful as you know.

https://berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/nutrition/article/can-you-trust-calorie-counts

A 6-12 month "stall" is not a normal part of weight loss. It's common for people who are close to their goal to go several *weeks*--say, 4-6 weeks--without seeing the scale go down, but not several *months.* If someone's weight has not changed in 6-12 months, they are not in a deficit.

I think you may have misunderstood. I'm sure that @GaleHawkins meant that a stall AFTER 6-12 months is normal. The OP states that it's been a few weeks.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    36qlcecdf4ao.png
    349 = calories for 4 oz

How much fat is in that though, is it 20%, 15%, 10%, 5%?? That will affect the calories a lot.
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    Does the meat you eat have a nutrition label on it? That's usually where I start. For example, if I eat Laura's 96% ground beef I will search for that specifically in the food database. I also have the nutrition label on hand to compare. If I find an entry that doesn't match exactly, I will edit the entry with the information I have on hand. Either that or create a new entry completely.
  • dagrees
    Have used labels, yes.

Thanks to all for the information, advice, and encouragement!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    nooboots wrote: »
    36qlcecdf4ao.png
    349 = calories for 4 oz

How much fat is in that though, is it 20%, 15%, 10%, 5%?? That will affect the calories a lot.

30/112 = about 27%
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,540 Member
    30/112 = about 27%

OK @lynn_glenmont , as long as you promise not to hate me in the morning! :love:

Or 26.79g per 100g which at a guess would tend to be close to 27% :lol: