For those using HRMs...

Options
For those that use HRM: is your burned calorie total on HRM ever higher than the one given on MFP? I thought MFP was overestimating, but after my almost 60 min run/walk this morning the HRM gave me a reading almost 100 calories higher than MFP estimate... (BTW, just got the HRM yesterday, Polar FT4, settings seem fine)

Replies

• sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Yes. sometimes. I go with my HRM. Make sure your user settings have been set to your details, though. And as you lose you will need to go in and update them on your watch. I have a FT4 and I absolutely love it!
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    My calories almost always seem to be higher than what is on MFP.
  • LChabot86
    LChabot86 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I find the same thing. I worked out yesterday for 50 minutes on the treadmill said 350, MFP said 450 but my HRM said 678. :S
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Does your walk/run incorporate any hills? MFPs calorie burn estimates are for running/walking on flat, hard terrain. I live in the mountains and have killer uphill climbs on my walks (actually hikes... because I use trails rather than sidewalks or roads). My calorie burn is always way higher than MFP's estimate.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Remember MFP takes out what you would have burned anyway during that time, I'm fairly certain that HRMs don't. I'm always 100-ish over MFP, which makes sense.
  • jagoochie
    jagoochie Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    normally higher - but then everybody's body is different so go with your own results
  • MakinMoves
    MakinMoves Posts: 364
    Options
    Agreed...definitely go with the HRM readings...and you'll see after about a week...your burn will match your level. (When you read the instructions, it says it initially goes off your body weight/height/etc...but then after about a week, it adjusts to your actual output, etc.

I have the same HRM...love love love it!!!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'm over, sometimes I'm under. If I am exercising without pushing myself (kinda like going for a walk) then I'm exercising at a slower pace. If I'm wearing the HRM, it's usually because I want to keep my HR elevated for a good amount of time so that's when I burn more than what's on MFP.
  • Lahdidahdah
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE my Polar FT4. I always wear it when I am working out, and when I feel like I want to quit, I can check my calorie burn, and that makes me want to do more! I have decided though, that I want to wear it one day all day to see what I truly burn in my sedentary work environment!
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Does your walk/run incorporate any hills? MFPs calorie burn estimates are for running/walking on flat, hard terrain. I live in the mountains and have killer uphill climbs on my walks (actually hikes... because I use trails rather than sidewalks or roads). My calorie burn is always way higher than MFP's estimate.

Yes, I run in my subdivision, and it's quite hill-y. I was actually wondering if that made a big difference (I sure feel it when I'm running uphill vs flat or downhill!!!). So that makes sense.

Thanks so much for your input!
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    This is really interesting to me because I always, always put in less time than I've done on MFP because I think it overestimates calories. I need to get a heart rate monitor that's for sure.
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE my Polar FT4. I always wear it when I am working out, and when I feel like I want to quit, I can check my calorie burn, and that makes me want to do more!

This is so true. I always look at my HRM (polar FT4 also) and say to myself 'nah I will stay on here til I burn that extra 50 calories' or whatever. Gives me the motivation to do more.

My HRM says I burn more doing circuit training but less for walking than MFP. Depends but I trust the HRM more.
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    This is really interesting to me because I always, always put in less time than I've done on MFP because I think it overestimates calories. I need to get a heart rate monitor that's for sure.

I totally think HRM is the way to go. It looks like it depends on the activity level. For example, last night I was on our compact elliptical, and the calories on HRM were way less than what MFP said. But it was a very low impact workout, my heart rate didnt' get very high at all.

This morning I was running outside and as I mentioned the area I run in is very hilly. My heart rate got way high, even over my target

I'm so glad I got the HRM, to give me the most accurate reading.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I do cardio and weights at the same time. I just keep my heart rate elevated while doing something like upright rows and lunges. I'll take a break between reps but my breaks include agility leg raises over an exercise ball so my hear rate never goes down. Even when I'm just doing weights, my breaks are spent doing crunches. Shoot, when I'm on a stationary bike, I am using rubber bands to do curls and shoulder presses. I have very tiny windows to exercise before the kids barge in.

You'll never find that stuff on MFP so I just go by the calories burned on the HRM. I just select a cardio activity, like calisthenics, and then enter an amount of time that gets me close to the calories that I burned.
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I find the same thing. I worked out yesterday for 50 minutes on the treadmill said 350, MFP said 450 but my HRM said 678. :S

Wow! You must've been running like a bat outta h*ll.
  • batlou
    batlou Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My Garmin logged 1057 Calories burned and MFP logged almost 1300.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    For those that use HRM: is your burned calorie total on HRM ever higher than the one given on MFP?

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. It all depends on how much work I put into the activity.