Night time eating

Options
Hi everyone,

I’m trying to not eat past 8pm but really struggling to. I’m not sure what it is, but I have to eat something before going to bed. If I don’t eat something that makes me feel full before going to sleep it keeps me up at night.It’s really holding me back because it’s putting me over my calories. I try drinking lots of water but that also keeps me up at night because I keep needing to go to the toilet, and only shortly curbs appetite. Has anyone else had this bad habit and how’d you over come it? I’m meant to be eating around 1600 calories but end up by the end of each day consuming 2000-2500... which is more then I need, meaning I’m actually eating enough to be gaining weight. I’m genuinely hungry though for the most part. Has anyone struggled with night time eating and just being always hungry especially later in the day?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    There’s nothing inherently wrong with eating at night. That is a common myth. The problem is just that your eating is putting you outside your calorie goal.

I would first make sure that your calorie goal is appropriate for you. What are your current and goal weights, and what pace of weight loss did you select? If you exercise, how are you calculating your exercise calorie burn, and how many exercise calories are you eating back?
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    If that's when you prefer to eat then save some calories for them. Skip a snack or breakfast or something and eat it at night
  • betsymoomoo
    betsymoomoo Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Try a lower calorie snack at night perhaps? I used to eat sliced apples and peanutbutter as a chip and dip type snack. Now I just arranged my calories so that I can eat until 10pm and then I go to bed.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Can you rearrange your calorie allowancs to allow for something small, like some cottage cheese or a piece of fruit, at night, to better control your hunger?

There is no reason for weight loss you need to avoid eating at night as long as you keep it in your calorie goals. So rather than filling your goal during the day and then overeating at night, I'd suggest budgeting it in.
  • bbbbb11223344
    bbbbb11223344 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do eat apples and carrots at night, but I always end up eating more then just 1 because I still feel hungry. Which is why I’m trying to just set a rule for my self to not eat past 8pm because I end up eating way to much. I usually have a fairly low calorie breakfast since I’m not as hungry in the morning, nothing over 300 calories generally so 2 eggs 1/4 avocado etc. I think I genuinely get really hungry, but also have a really bad habit of needing to feel full before going to sleep and eating at night. Unfortunately this has been really holding me back for 6 months now of trying to lose weight
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I struggle the most with night-time eating, too. Before I really starting sticking with my diet (most days), I was eating fairly well during the day, then just blowing it at night time. Big time. What really helped me break this cycle was during Lent this year. Since I have diabetes and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), I eat frequent meals and snacks throughout the day and can't fast like some people can. So, during my 40 days of 'fasting' for Lent, I chose to forego any foods between dinner and my bedtime snack, my most difficult time. Perhaps because I was doing it for spiritual reasons, I was finally able to commit to those 40 days and break this cycle.

Through that time, I learned that, yes, I am capable of re-training myself over a most difficult habit. I'll be honest, I did not think it was possible. I flat out thought I would never succeed with this issue. It still isn't easy, but I am doing it. Some things that helped me: 1) I plan my bedtime snack into my daily MFP plan (and look forward to it for hours). 2) Don't keep tempting snacks in the house. I just can't limit myself from eating 1/2 a bag of 'healthy' sweet potato chips. I buy snacks I like, but don't love. 3) Personally, I can't snack on carrot sticks, apples, veggies, etc., all night. I had to get away from that 'hand to mouth' action, even with healthy foods. It was a huge trigger for me. 4) I make an event out of my bedtime snack. I used to just eat out of a bag, box, etc., but now I put my snack on a plate and sit down and enjoy it, and make a mini-meal out of it.

As for going to bed hungry, I have no advice. I do have days that I am hungry at night, and I worry my diabetes blood glucose will drop during the night while I am sleeping. But much of that is in my head, as I rationally know that eating my healthy meals and snacks throughout the day and at bedtime will help with that. I wish you the best in finding what works for you, and what you are capable of achieving, which is more than we often realize.