Binging Help?

Options
I just 800 calories over my daily budget. I felt out of control. Has anyone overcome binging? How did you do it? Thanks!

Replies

• ErikaGirl1
    ErikaGirl1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just 800 calories over my daily budget. I felt out of control. Has anyone overcome binging? How did you do it? Thanks!
    I am totally with you on this, I have no idea how to prevent it sometimes!
  • jemarsh32
    jemarsh32 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. You are not alone and you can do this!
  • Naturally_Monica
    Naturally_Monica Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Do you know why you are binging? I have BED and I have to really figure out what’s going on that’s making me binge, because it usually has a trigger that sets me off. I used to be so ashamed of it that I would hide food in my room and eat in secret. It’s very hard and not something you can overcome in one day, but I would suggest getting down to the root of why you binge. Are you stressed, did something happen, is something going on in your life, or are you over restricting, etc. Good luck. Wish I had better advice. Binging was a coping mechanism for me and I had to find other things to replace that. You can do it.
  • AphroditesBrat
    AphroditesBrat Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if you under eat calories by too much it might trigger you to overeat. Too many carbs will also make your cravings more powerful.
    Forgive yourself for today and think about what you been feelings, how realistic are your calorie goals.
    If you are new to dieting, you might overeat a few times in the first month till you get used to it and learn to adjust your diet to your new lifestyle.
    Try looking for protein to get your cals instead of carbs to help curb cravings.
    If you want to get snacky treats sometimes (which is fine, we all deserve tasty snacks sometimes) maybe buy the smaller pack or ones that are low cal per realistic serving (like actually check, sometimes the suggested servings are like 4 crackers and you know you will eat more than 4 :0)
    Could also get a little bit of exercise in, something simple like 20-60 min walk will help you earn extra calories later in the day, then you can eat more while staying in your goals.
  • forestfreek
    forestfreek Posts: 5,770 Member
    Options
    Kowoolo wrote: »
    Do you know why you are binging? I have BED and I have to really figure out what’s going on that’s making me binge, because it usually has a trigger that sets me off. I used to be so ashamed of it that I would hide food in my room and eat in secret. It’s very hard and not something you can overcome in one day, but I would suggest getting down to the root of why you binge. Are you stressed, did something happen, is something going on in your life, or are you over restricting, etc. Good luck. Wish I had better advice. Binging was a coping mechanism for me and I had to find other things to replace that. You can do it.
    Exactly this.
    There are usually underlying emotional reasons as to why you’re binging. You need to address that first.
    And yes - as always stated, eating enough calories throughout the day is vital to not binging at night.
    Good luck. You can overcome this!!
    There are lots of tips and pointers as to how to stop binging if you google it💜
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    After (hopefully my last) huge binge I sat down and tried to establish what kind of food triggers it. Bread - lots of it and whatever fits in between the slices and on top. Over the months I have cut down on bread consumption drastically and replaced it with fruits and vegetables. So far, so good - by now I don't have to have bread any longer, even when I walk near a bakery and I can smell the bread baking. There are also emotional reasons why I used to binge - mental health is so important when trying to lose weight.
  • forestfreek
    forestfreek Posts: 5,770 Member
    Options
    After (hopefully my last) huge binge I sat down and tried to establish what kind of food triggers it. Bread - lots of it and whatever fits in between the slices and on top. Over the months I have cut down on bread consumption drastically and replaced it with fruits and vegetables. So far, so good - by now I don't have to have bread any longer, even when I walk near a bakery and I can smell the bread baking. There are also emotional reasons why I used to binge - mental health is so important when trying to lose weight.
    @neugebauer52 - that last line.....SO true and yet many people neglect that part of it 💜

• stella_dancer1
    stella_dancer1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You guys all seem so strong so proud of everyone! I don’t think there is an easy fix and I think it takes time. The best thing I think is to remove any junk food out of you house. If you do how ever live with other people this can be harder just try to keep it out of sight maby put something a little healthier in front so that if you do find your self leaning for it you can stop your self
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I do this too. I sometimes see what my maintenance calories are and think about it that way. Like I just ate at maintenance for a day it’s okay and not get too hard on myself.

Another tip, this may sound odd and likely not do-able but just something I have notice. My worse time was night time. Now that I live in a 2 story vs 1 story house I just tell myself don’t bother going downstairs to get something. And I never keep food in my bedroom. So I guess my recommendation would be see when you are doing and try to fix/change it.

Also what you are overeating? Ice cream in the freezer calls my name. At the store I never get more than one at a time, even if it’s a better price for multiple or on sale. I don’t care, it’s a treat and I don’t mind spending extra when I pick to treat myself.

One last tip that has worked for me, is when I first started my journey I was focused on healthy “meals.” Which is great but I love snacks or smaller meals, so I found some healthy snacks to have in-house. Also some things I can eat as much as I want of, one being mini sweet bell peppers.

Good luck, you got this :)
  • Lucille_StarChild
    Lucille_StarChild Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I never thought about maintenance calories. That’s helpful.