Disney

We leave for Disney in the coming days. I have lost 23 pounds in the last five months, and I am only about 8 pounds from my final ultimate goal weight. Part of me doesn’t want to worry about the calories for our five days on vacation and enjoy the meals we’ve already paid for. But I am also paranoid to gain all the weight back. I know I can’t possibly gain ALL 23 pounds back but you know what I mean! Please give me some peace of mind!!! I’m hoping the extra walking helps.

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited June 2019
    I would not worry. stick to water during the day and remember, you'll be constantly moving and standing around and burning plenty off there. There's no point 'limiting' yourself otherwise you'll likely over eat in hunger with the limited food options available (I don't recall anything other than, burger and chips being an option unless you booked a sit down restaurant) We often skipped breakfast when we went to disneyland (we're not used to large portions) and had a decent lunch (burger and chips) and dinner (buffet style, all you can eat, and boy, did we eat!) . I actually lost weight.

Yeah I typically lose weight at Disney too. I don't eat breakfast and when I am moving that much I can't stand heavy meals so I end up going lighter on most meals. It is usually only the day we don't go to the parks that I eat more.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    It's actually pretty hard to put on weight at Disney because you are constantly walking and on the go all the time. Stay active, enjoy the food, and make smart substitutions where it will help you reduce calories while still keeping up the enjoyment.
  • lovelylosses
    lovelylosses Posts: 27 Member
    brittlb07 wrote: »
    We leave for Disney in the coming days. I have lost 23 pounds in the last five months, and I am only about 8 pounds from my final ultimate goal weight. Part of me doesn’t want to worry about the calories for our five days on vacation and enjoy the meals we’ve already paid for. But I am also paranoid to gain all the weight back. I know I can’t possibly gain ALL 23 pounds back but you know what I mean! Please give me some peace of mind!!! I’m hoping the extra walking helps.

YOU'RE GOING TO DISNEY. (I am so jealous). Don't worry about your weight. You'll never gain all 23 pounds back regardless, and part of having a healthy relationship with weight loss - imo - is being cool with some fluctuations when life gets in the way.

When we go to Disney, I'm vigilant about walking like crazy - ie: walking the World Showcase loop twice if we're in Epcot, really exploring lots of different areas - you can burn so much just being on the move constantly. I also don't eat junk just for the sake of it (a burger and fries at every meal) but try to take advantage of all the different cuisines Disney offers. But I still indulge. It's a foodie paradise in a lot of ways. Not to mention, the margaritas!!!

Enjoy yourself, girl! And CONGRATS on the 23 lb weight loss, btw. Huge achievement. :)
  • dagrees
    dagrees Posts: 32 Member
    Congrats on your weight loss!
    I am headed to Disney in 10 days!!
    With almost the same weight loss stats: 25 lbs in 6 months. Yay us!!
    My plan is to eat sensibly, drink just water, try to log as best I can, and walk alot.
    We have been going to Disney for many years a few times a year. This is the first time I have gone after losing weight.having put weight on over the last 20 years.
    I will attest to the fact that it is easy to eat too much there( having done just that).
    I have to keep reminding myself that I will feel better physically if I am mindful of much I eat while I am there.
    Have a great trip and don’t worry !

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    I always lose or stay the same weight when I am at Disney... and I normally go during Food and Wine so you know I am not being picky about what I eat. That said, I also stick to water 99% of the time (mostly because I get dehydrated easily) and don't eat just to eat. You can find great meals at both quick service or table service... I never have had a quick service burger for example (I did have a hot dog but that was because I WANTED one, not because they lacked other options). My favorite place at Magic Kingdom is Columbia Harbor House. Epcot I usually eat around the World. Animal Kingdom you have both Flame Tree BBQ and Satuli. Hollywood Studios is harder so either I don't eat there at all (until Batuu opens it is strictly a part day park for me) or I go to Hollywood Brown Derby for a table service lunch.
  • trbp72
    trbp72 Posts: 33 Member
    edited June 2019
    Like RelCanonical says...with all the walking you'll do at Disney that will go a long way to offsetting any "holiday feeding"...don't worry about it...enjoy the magical atmosphere and relax for those 5 days!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    Lol, for the AMOUNT of money you spend at Disney, I'd enjoy whatever I could. Now personally when I go on vacation, I ALWAYS workout anyway. I don't change my routine just because I'm on vacation, I just change where I workout.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Go enjoy yourself IMO. There are definitely ways to eat healthier at disney but IMO... just go have fun. Go eat everything and once you're back home, get back to your healthier life. You dropped the weight, it will come back off again.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    You'll also be doing a ton of walking so please just enjoy your trip!
  • dm01234_1
    dm01234_1 Posts: 31 Member
    Ummmm.. Dole Whips... Agreed with the others - just have fun.
  • TheRealSlim_Shelly
    TheRealSlim_Shelly Posts: 66 Member
    I’m not sure if you’ve ever been to Disney but you will easily walk an average of 10-12 miles per day. I frequent Disney and I think the least I’ve EVER walked was about 8 miles in a day. If you bring a backpack, factor in now you’re walking while weighted. Depending on what hotel you are staying at, there are plenty of walking/running paths on the property - and many parks you may be able to walk to right from your hotel instead of the bus or tram (again, depending on where you are staying). There are also plenty of healthier choices to still indulge in at restaurants and quick service, if you so choose. Disney is VERY accommodating to how you would like your food prepared, just ask.

Just my opinion, don’t worry so much about that aspect. Enjoy yourself, eat the Mickey waffles. No regrets. Enjoy!
  • TheRealSlim_Shelly
    TheRealSlim_Shelly Posts: 66 Member
    Also this may be helpful — I learned my lesson that the only meal of the day I let myself “indulge” in while in Disney was dinner. I ate sensible for breakfast and lunch because I personally could not walk around all day having overstuffed myself. Ive never been able to process foods made with a lot of oils and it would only made me sluggish and crampy while in the park - not a great feeling on vacation 😫. If you’re the same way, that may give you some motivation for making better choices for some parts of the day.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Remember to keep water so as to fill hydration spaces and.....you are gonna be active with all that walking!
    I think the thought process should also be is to be conscious of what your feeling the need to eat. Alot of the stuff you can have any day of the week cause its nuthin' special. But....if it is out of the norm....take advantage!