Can't afford to go to the Gym...

Options
As the title says it all, for the people that lost 50+ pounds is it essential to have a gym membership or is cardio and eating right going to do the trick. I"m currently 265 and have a long ways to go (180) I can not afford to go to the gym I can barely afford gas in the truck. Is there any trick for those who are also struggling with money and wanting to lose weight?

Replies

• erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    You DO NOT need a gym to lose weight! WALK! it works! Im proof.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    You don't need a gym to move. Take walks, dance in your living room. Buy some fitness DVDs if you want, or you don't have to. Just move. :)
  • princesshaylo
    princesshaylo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    No gym needed... some of the most difficult workouts I have done require no gym equipment :)
  • BigMamaDiva
    Options
    I agree! Walk! Or if you like to dance, I LOVE Richard Simmons Sweatin' to the Oldies!!
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    walking or running is the way to go...create your own gym for ab workouts, etc. to tone up if that's what your into. Also, not sure if you have cable, but my cable service provides exercise videos On Demand.
  • FoxCarter
    FoxCarter Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    No gym membership here, either. Just need some shoes and some and weights. I do aerobics at home (30DS) and walk/jog the dog.
    All you need to bring is:
    1. Commitment
    2. Desire
    3. Internal Strength
    4. Willpower

You got all of those?
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    The world is your gym, and most parts of it are free to get into. Walk/run in your own neighborhood, work out in your living room. Eat right, walk/run, and keep moving wherever you are, and you don't need to worry about no stinkin' gym.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    it is AMAZING what you can do at home, or in a hotel room, etc.. with just body weight exercises. All you need to do is get moving, tip the calorie balance in the right direction and do it consistently.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    youtube fitness videos
    hulu
    hundredpushups.com
    www.c25k.com

and I'm sure there's many more. all the above are free stuff you can do.

cheap
    walmart fitness DVDs
    craigslist exercise equipment (possibly free)
    bike to work
  • courtneylwatson
    courtneylwatson Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If you want it bad enough and are willing to put in the work then I doubt it matters where you are when you burn those calories, but if you are interested in going to the gym and just can't afford it I would suggest asking your local gym if they do trade-outs. I Trade-Out at a local gym. I work for 5 hours a month and get a full free family membership. It is worth it for me if I only get to workout the two days that I work in a month but most of the time I use it way more.
  • redtalent
    redtalent Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Luckily I live in a college town and they have free exercise classes along with a pool that you can use for free! Saying that, I've never used those resources. I'm going to start next week but up until now I've just been making sure I get off my butt and do something and just eating right! Losing weight does not need to equal spending loads of cash!
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership either. I have done lots of walking/jogging in my neighborhood (started C25K). You can RENT fitness DVDs from most libraries, and you can go online for lots of free strength circuit workouts! No extra cash needed!
  • ShoeGal81
    ShoeGal81 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a membership and barely use it. I feel more comfortable working out at home where no one is watching me! I do Work out DVD's and I go walking/Jogging...Only 3 weeks in but i feel a huge improvment. I'm not sure what kind of cable you have, But ON-Demand through Comcast has great FREE work-outs no equipment needed. Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is Awesome!

Good Luck!!
  • Sballard418
    Sballard418 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I walk at the very least 5 times a week. I also am eating right I've never done anything like it and it seems to be working. I go to the dog park. Walk 2 miles a day at least. Just see all these people with personal trainers losing so much weight! Thanks for the input it really makes me feel better about not being able to afford a Gym Membership. I love those cheesy work out videos :P
  • missphoenix
    Options
    I dont spend any money on exercise, I just run or power-walk and do strength training at home (from DVD or book)
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Find an awesome workout DVD and do all the exercising at home. Walking is also great!
    I am super lucky because the gym I go to is free because I work on an Army installation. You can do it without the fancy gym membership. Good luck!
  • Connie_TN
    Options
    I can't afford a gym either and have 175 lbs to lose. I take advantage of the track at the local school...and my stairs in the house. I just keep going up and down them till i can't do it anymore. Check and see if there is a local track in your area usually there are bleachers...you could climb them..or Hike even.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    If you have digital cable, there are exercise programs on demand... Is there a park or something nearby you can walk to? or a school with a running track? you can do things inside is the weather's bad... jumping jacks, pushups, just get jiggy wid it!
  • MotherOfTwins2010
    MotherOfTwins2010 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You can rent work out DVD's from the Library and do them in your living room! Totally free and in the comfort of your own home. Or a lot of cable companies now have ON Demand exercise video/routines. If you have cable check out the ON Demand section. Some of the comcast ON Demand videos are as short as 10 minutes or as long as 60!
  • Dottie27
    Dottie27 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    One of MFPs gave me ideas from the Prevention magazine website. I did buy a kettlebell to do strength traininhttp://www.prevention.com/health/fitness/cardiog at home. Good luck! You'll do it!