Breastfeeding mama's

Options
Any breastfeeding moms trying to shed pounds without tanking their milk supply?? Its a challenge! You're hungry 24/7 and don't want to make the wrong dieting move that can mess with how much milk you make! Cutting out carbs fat sugar or just making sure you get just the right amount? What do you do?? You read so many different conflicting answers so its hard to know.

Replies

• monicauebbing7
    monicauebbing7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm currently breastfeeding a five-month-old. I think for me what helped was eating small amounts throughout the day. If I went a long period of not eating anything or skipped a meal then my milk supply started to be affected That being said I am blessed with a raging milk supply and not much seems to tank it. I would definitely try consistent smaller meals throughout the day, eating every 3 to 4 hours. Tracking what you eat to make sure it's enough. I've read a lot and it says you shouldn't try to consume less than 1500 calories when you're exclusively breastfeeding and every ounce you pump is worth 20 calories so if you know how much you're producing then you can minus that from your calorie intake and keep to your goal. I'm looking for an accountability partner if you're interested message me.
  • Iheartalaric
    Iheartalaric Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat. Mom to an 11 week old and exclusively bf'ing. I definitely don't want to affect my supply but it's been a real struggle to not eat constantly. Some places say the keto diet is the way to go but that seems drastic and impractical for my life right now. I found this calculator page

https://www.freedieting.com/breastfeeding-calorie-calculator

With this, i've been sticking to a 300 calorie decrease a day since we need 300-500 extra a day. I don't want to go below too far. Maybe it can help you too? I can't say if the decrease has worked just yet since it's only been 4 days.
    I've cut out dairy for the most part and I'm eating way less processed food and I think that will help alot. I'm still doing 3 meals and two snacks but eating as whole, fresh and varied with less processed alternatives.
  • andrea_rhea
    andrea_rhea Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I'm gonna use this link! Thank you