Diet Coke...

Options
2»

Replies

• alondrakar
    alondrakar Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Even if they don't hinder my progress, I can't bring myself to drink sodas like I do water. I only drink one diet soda can a week.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Coke zero has actually helped me so far. I have one every day at work in the afternoon.
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I drink diet soda every single day and I'm losing weight steadily. It doesn't have any impact on my blood sugar.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    Diet soda is made of stuff your body can't recognize or use, so it gets passed as waste. If nothing is used, how can it be bad?

Is it great for you? Not really. But mostly because the acidity is not ideal for your teeth and stomach. There's no influence on weight loss.

Sucralose (Splenda) would be stuff your body can't use. Aspartame, on the other hand, is a peptide and metabolizes to fairly innocuous waste products.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I definitely need to start adding in Diet Coke/Pepsi when I get that need/urge to eat; maybe it will stop my searching for food I do not want to eat; fill me up, I like the taste so I think it will be good for me. Thank you. I was trying to stay away but see no need to. I do try to stay away from the caffeine ones, I don't even know why I do that (I thought that caffeine is bad for you).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,000 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is subjective - but for most people in moderate amounts, not bad.

If you are an individual who has some ill effect from it - sure, avoid it - but it isnt 'bad for you', as in general everybody you.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I drink two Coke Zeros per day and I've lost 100lbs and kept off for almost two years.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 20 oz diet cokes every day as my treat after work. No impact on my weight. I look forward to my 2 sodas.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Sueydwi wrote: »
    Apparently, the sweetness in them kids the body to think it's eating sugar, therefore gives an insulin spike. There's no sugar in the bloodstream, so the blood sugar drops and you get hungry. This encourages eating more.

This is a myth.
    Your body responds to what you actually ingest, not taste. Insulin is secreted according to the amount of sugar actually in your bloodstream, not blindly according to the taste of your food.

I don't think this is entirely correctly. I recall endocrinologists stating your body can secrete insulin in anticipation of foods. People with fairly fixed eating schedules will see their insulin rise ahead of their meal.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,000 Member
    Options
    Pavlov ( was that his name?) dogs response?

Sounds possible - we do get in anticipation physical symptoms. Sometimes, for example, on weekend I glance at the clock and notice it is 2 pm and then I feel hungry because it is past my lunch time.
    Before noticing the time, I wasn't hungry :s

But still, the body isn't tricked into thinking sweeteners are sugar and thus magically causing weight gain from an almost no calorie food.