Sore days, what do you do?

Options
I am super sore from the gym. I have worked out pretty hard the last few days. What do you all do when you are so? Take a break, push through it??? I was thinking of just going for a good walk to stretch my legs and body and also make sure I eat really well. Thoughts!

Replies

• merijmaslo
    merijmaslo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try foam rolling/mobility drills. It helps me a lot! I foam roll before every strength workout, and try to do the mobility drills if I have time, and it helps so much! Also, I drink an amino supplement that helps aid in recovery but also gives energy and focus. Good luck!
  • johngsprague
    johngsprague Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    A nice long guided yoga session (pick any youtuber you like) can help with recovery. If you want to burn a few calories a bike ride can be done in a low impact way. Foam rolling in front of the tv is a fave.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Walk, stretch (foam roller) great for this, Hydrate more, mobility stretching
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I walked on treadmill for a while 45 minutes. stretched. Now having a good lunch and hydrating.
  • chrishamilton894
    chrishamilton894 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I tend to push through it, relax after work. Recover the best you can until the next time 👍
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I do something lightly active/recreational to stretch out the muscles - hiking with my dogs, biking with my kids, leisurely swimming, something like that.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Depends on whether it's just soreness type pain or the sharper injury pain.
    If I stopped because of a bit of doms then I'd never do anything, there are days when I get up and everything hurts, but I go for a short run and it eases off a bit and I can do whatever I (or my PT) had planned.
    An actual injury though, that's a different matter and I'd get advice off my physio
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    If I'm scheduled to strength train, that is what I do. My template has auto regulation/load management built in so nothing to be concerned about other than getting stronger.

If I'm not scheduled to train that day, then I continue on my normal life.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I will push through, but I will lower the weights if needed or reduce range of motion if needed...most of the time I can get through just by allowing a slightly longer break between sets.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Fortunately, it's not injury pain just soreness. Yesterday I was a little easier on myself but today I pushed through it. It's all good.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    I am super sore from the gym. I have worked out pretty hard the last few days. What do you all do when you are so? Take a break, push through it??? I was thinking of just going for a good walk to stretch my legs and body and also make sure I eat really well. Thoughts!
    • Increase meat-protein and/or alternative protein
    • Electrolyte
    • Flexibility routines
    • Muscle roller stick
    • Deep tissue full body massage
    • Sleep

ETA: I still push through, only that on the very day I feel any muscle soreness, I'll follow through with the above-protocols. I'm usually fine the morning after, maintaining my increased meat and/or alternative proteins.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    This depends on what's causing the pain. If it's DOMS, I work through it. If I have any suspicion that it might be caused by injury or overuse, I'm either on light activity for the day (walking instead of running, running 5k instead of my usual 5 miles, etc.) or I take a full rest day, whichever seems most appropriate for the problem.

I will say that if you're new to exercise, it can be hard to tell the difference between pain that should be taken seriously and pain that can be worked through. And many of us who know the difference can still be stubborn about not resting when we need it :) If you're unsure, err on the side of caution.
  • ConH12
    ConH12 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Take BCAAs and walk the treadmill.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    conH12 wrote: »
    Take BCAAs and walk the treadmill.

Walking the treadmill is helpful. BCAAs are useless. There is a great deal of research on this topic. Whey protein is more helpful for recovery as it is a complete protein. But BCAAs in the absence of a complete amino acid profile is just flavored water. Expensive flavored water.

For DOMs, rest. For a little soreness? Go workout and go a little less intense.