Beginner runner, some tips? (Chafing, blisters)

Options
nmgu
nmgu Posts: 31 Member
So I started walking/jogging a few weeks ago. I started walking and after my first encounter with blisters on the ball of my foot I bought a pair of Nike’s and an arch support. After another blister (not as bad) I went and bought some proper socks. No more blisters.

I’m going slow because I’m fat, but a new problem is coming up. Namely, chafing. I got a good sports bra and jogging t-shirt, both made of wicking fabric. I’m not sure about my pants, 57% cotton, 38% polyester, 5% spandex. But hey, pockets. Pockets on workout pants are a godsend.

It HURTS to sit down after I run because of the chafing. I’m wondering what I can do about it.

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    To help heal, I recommend diaper rash creme. To prevent, I use compression shorts, making sure to flatten all the seams on my underwear and be certain that there are no places that wrinkle or bunch - for me, that means a higher percentage of cotton seems to work better, regardless that the whole mess is just as wet after a run as if I went swimming. The nylon bunches, no matter how careful I am, and I chafe. Pockets are great and all, but they're secondary to performance. Lately, I can't find an appropriate length of shorts, but capris are easy to get. I just cut them off. I've used the extra leg to make pockets. My sewing machines don't like the stretch fabric, though. I am not satisfied with the aesthetics of the pockets, though they are functional. Back to the chafing: Some people like looser clothes and Body Glide or even Vaseline.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Try body glide or just deodorant.
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you wanted more help than just chaffing but strength training is imperative. Helps keep you injury proof.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    A&D (diaper rash) ointment at the drugstore or Chamois Buttr (original style) at a sports store or Amazon.

Apply either of these to the needed areas liberally before running.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Body Glide or Run Guard can help prevent chaffing. Sunburn cream with lidocaine and aloe will heal it. I wear nylon shorts but compression shorts can be better to prevent chaffing.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Nike's made for your gait? And the arch was recommended by someone who deals with runners?

I ask because shoes are designed for particular feet (at least the good ones are, the cheap junk you buy in the department store are mostly junk). If you get the wrong shoes (and socks) you can have issues like this.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I swear by my running socks. In addition, were you fitted for these shoes at a specialized running store? If not, you need a proper shoe fitting.

For preventing chafing, Body Glide or just petroleum jelly. I’ve had good luck with using petroleum jelly on existing chafing to keep it from getting worse.

I’ve also used hydrocolloid bandages to heal chafed areas when I had really bad chafing. We’re talking underarm sores that refused to heal for months because they kept getting reopened. (TMI?)

If your compression gear bunches, it doesn’t fit properly. Try a different brand and/or size. Compression gear should be snug.

For pockets, I can’t recommend a Flipbelt highly enough. I love my Flipbelt.
  • nmgu
    nmgu Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I went online and searched for ones with a high arch and were helpful for fat people. Then went to REI and asked for running socks. Solved the blister problem.

As to the chafing, I’ve been using baby powder when I can, and it works amazing but it’s hard to apply to some areas. I’ve heard body glide is better.
  • apullum
    Options
    nmgu wrote: »
    I went online and searched for ones with a high arch and were helpful for fat people. Then went to REI and asked for running socks. Solved the blister problem.

As to the chafing, I’ve been using baby powder when I can, and it works amazing but it’s hard to apply to some areas. I’ve heard body glide is better.

You need to get fitted for shoes. Weight is only one part of choosing a shoe that works for your body, and having the wrong shoes can set you up for other injuries that are worse than blisters.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Make sure you’re wearing good socks.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Good socks, dry wicking fabric, body glide. Also, I love compression wear- helps with long runs, etc, but it may help with chafing?

Nike running tights are pretty great.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for getting out there and trying something new. As others have mentioned getting fitted for running shoes is important. I generally wore Nike shoes to exercise for years after trying many brands and finding their shape cradled my foot really well. And they also work great for me for walking and lower intensity exercises. Running is high impact. And everyone runs a bit differently with different feet, legs and bodies. When you go to a running store to be fitted, the sales person will watch you walk barefoot and jog barefoot. They will watch you walk and jog in a variety of different shoes. Some stores will show you video of the difference. They will ask you questions about what surfaces you run on. They will watch your ankles to see if they turn while you run and how. They will use this info about you to get you a personalized fit. It turned out that ASICS had a better fit for me than Nike for the way way I run. The sales person also showed me different lacing techniques to deal with my narrow heels. Runners are prone to injury and your shoes will make a huge impact on preventing injury. I wear my running shoes only for running and have other shoes to wear with jeans when out and about walking around towns out with friends.

If you haven’t got a structured program, I highly recommend c25k. I started it in February barely able to run for 30 seconds. After 9 weeks of the program I am now able to run over 30 minutes without walking. Running slowly is important to build endurance. Run really slowly. I keep having to remind myself to keep it slow.

I also recently found a podcast called Beginner Runner Village by Debbie Voiles that I am finding very helpful.
  • DevonAsmus1987
    DevonAsmus1987 Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    So I guess I'll respond to your question in two parts because it seems to be focused on two different things

1) It sounds to me like you've got the shoe/foot problem generally sorted out but it could use a few tweaks. I know you went to REI already and they gave you a solid recommendation it seems. While that might be OK advice for now, I agree with the others that a proper running shoe would give you the most enjoyment and use. I would recommend to go to a store that specifically focuses on running shoes (this is not to be confused with your average big box athletic store). I used to live in Spokane, and there we have places like Runner's Sole. The workers there typically have an above average understanding of not only the shoes, but how the shoes accommodate a particular runners style and weaknesses. And if its a good store, they may even have a system that will have you show how you run (usually on a treadmill), where the employee will evaluate your running gate and offer shoe recommendations accordingly. Which, helps save you a ton of heartache and body ache, and lessening the overall damage done to your body a long the way. Thus keeping you on your goals longer and happier. While good running shoe can get pretty pricey, especially when you're starting out, sometimes you can find a deal if you look around. I like Brooks. Other people live and die by brands like Salomon and Asics. Once you find a good shoe it'll change your running world.

2) For dealing with chaffing, you're right, body powder and body glide are good. But, don't count out properly fitting exercise clothing. If you're having a lot of chaffing, one solution might be to wear looser fitting clothing, which will help air pass through, keeping you dryer than you normally would be. Think a long the lines of Nike or Under Armor's Loosefit DriFit clothing. Or, if you're in a bit of a bind, Sketchers Athletic Clothing at Wal-Mart will do just fine. Just make sure the clothing is breathable, light weight and, this is important, not cotton-- or at least not predominately cotton.

Next, ice. Be sure to ice down your chaffing areas and pat them dry when done. This cut down on the inflammation and help ease your pain.

Here'a good article to help you deal with some of your problem areas in more specific detail.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/managing-chafing.html

I know that's a lot to take in. I hope it helps you.

Good luck on your new goals. I'm rooting for you!
  • PineAndSalt
    PineAndSalt Posts: 22 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Serious question for the room - anyone have recommendations for chafing nipples? :# Like do bandaids work?
    I’m getting some irritation I think from sweat running down my chest, and it’s very salty. I usually wear cotton sports bras.
  • apullum
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Serious question for the room - anyone have recommendations for chafing nipples? :# Like do bandaids work?
    I’m getting some irritation I think from sweat running down my chest, and it’s very salty. I usually wear cotton sports bras.

Don’t wear cotton anything for running. Cotton is not a moisture wicking material. It keeps sweat close to your skin and contributes to chafing. For bustier people, I like Panache sports bras; for smaller cup sizes, I like Brooks’ “high impact” bra styles. Your running store can recommend other brands, and some do sports bra fittings.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

Don’t wear cotton anything for running. Cotton is not a moisture wicking material. It keeps sweat close to your skin and contributes to chafing. For bustier people, I like Panache sports bras; for smaller cup sizes, I like Brooks’ “high impact” bra styles. Your running store can recommend other brands, and some do sports bra fittings.

I'll be controversial enough to say cotton can be fine for running - but if it's causing you problems, there's no reason not to try a different fiber. My latest batch of sports bras are primarily cotton. They're great! I don't require any special efforts to avoid chafe, but I had an issue with the stiff elastic band on a previous batch of moisture-wicking bras. Truly, I find the fit to be a HUGE issue, and the fiber content to be more of a preference.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Body glide is sovereign for chafing nipples. I used to be so bad I'd bleed after a few weeks of consistent running. With the body glide, it's not a problem anymore.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Anti-blister double layer socks from Runderwear.

Larnacane anti chaffing gel applied before running (it’s lovely, rubs on dry, no goop)

Drapolene nappy rash cream to heal any chaffing afterwards.

(All tried and tested favourites over the last 5years)