Consistency

Options
I guess I’ll start by giving a general introduction. I’m 23, I started off at 300 pounds and have been on a weight loss journey for a year. I’ve been struggling between losing and gaining. In December I was down 50 pounds I was so happy to finally reach my first milestone. But then I let the holidays and family events become an excuse for laziness and not being consistent. I ended up gaining 20 pounds back. So here I am once again trying to get back into the mindset of healthy living and pushing past old habits. I’m writing here because I have zero support at home and have gotten to the point where I just don’t know how to be my own cheerleader. I know how to lose the weight, I know how to plan, I just wish I had someone to check in and really push me. My friends live unhealthy lifestyles because they’re not overweight so they don’t see it as a big deal they think I should eat how I want, my entire family is overweight so trying to be active and encourage healthier gatherings is also quite the challenge, I’m looking for friends, advice, maybe even an accountability partner. I know at the end of the day it’s up to me to make the right decisions and choose my health over my desires but I also know it’s a lot harder to do alone. Also, if anyone knows of any apps that help you find others in your local area who enjoy hiking, biking, swimming etc and can link up please list it in the comments.

Replies

• iSalemBZ
    iSalemBZ Posts: 27 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    "I have zero support at home and have gotten to the point where I just don’t know how to be my own cheerleader." this hits deep :) i have the same issue thats why i've decided to stick to this app since i assume mostly people here have common goals.

consistency is an issue i suffer from too, i only had 20kg of fats left to drop to reach my proper weight, but i kept gaining weight instead, right now im 25kg of fat over my average.

im not the best at being active here atm but feel free to add me
  • elizabethtodd1992
    elizabethtodd1992 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I understand how hard it can be to make healthy choices when everyone else is doing the opposite or even worse - trying to convince you to join them. Maybe it would help for you to explain to your already thin friends that you’re doing this for long term health and to FEEL good, not just look good. Maybe that will help them realize that they should also be prioritizing their health? Either way, stick with it and they will see for themselves how awesome a healthy lifestyle is for you... and then they’ll want to join!

I have used the website Meetup, depending on your area there are probably tons of hiking, biking or other active groups. There is also an app called Nextdoor that is popular in some areas, it connects you with your neighborhood. Maybe you can use it to find a workout buddy? Or if you are able to, joining a gym or going to the same workout class every week can help you form a community and accountability group.

Add me if you want an online accountability partner, I could definitely use one!