What’s The Most Ignorant Thing Said To You?

Options
SammyD242
SammyD242 Posts: 48 Member
edited June 2019 in Motivation and Support
So two weeks ago I was shopping in Costco. I’ve gained a bunch of weight and now wear a lg or xl size. I see a display of lycra capris and reach towards it. I was stopped by a salesgirl who said, “Let me save you some time. Our sizes only go up to 2XL so we have nothing in the store that will fit you”.

It was soul-crushing, I filed a complaint with the store, and I've stuck to my diet/fitness plan faithfully ever since.

But I still hate her and hope she was fired.

Replies

• aroze0928
    aroze0928 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Years ago a girl at Sears told me to go look in the womans section, that I wouldn't find my size in the juniors section.. So I know how that feels.. But more recent I gained a bunch after my last kid in 2011 and I think it was 2015 and a former tenant of mine sent me a weight watchers link in an email!!! With a quick note saying "Hi" Before I could retaliate she had deleted her acct. I was so embarrassed because my husband saw it too. And he really didnt say anything which I think made it worse. People suck. Ive since brought my weight down but still have another 20 to lose at least.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I used to get that kind of thing all the time. Difference is, I’m 5’10”, so pretty big even when I’m in good shape. I had a daughter who was a size 0, and back then, 0s were nearly impossible to find, so I was always looking. I just blew it off. Their problem, not mine.
  • sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I went to see a doctor once for help with weight lost and there was a bit of a wait so he told me to go have a coffee and come back. He then added « now, don’t have a donut with that coffee...just have the coffee ». I felt so embarrassed I didn’t even want to come back.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Ugh, some people have zero tact and/or are just mean. I don't get it.
    This one's definitely not the *worst* I've heard, but years ago I was at work and mentioned to my coworker that I'd dated a guy we both knew. She said, "Oh that makes so much sense. He likes really big girls who have pretty faces!" I could tell she meant it as a compliment, she was always a blunt and straightforward person, but ummm...no.
  • Dorchi22
    Dorchi22 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My grandma said on few occasions throughout my life: Yeah, you don't have to lose the weight because you'll never be skinny. You're big-boned like me.

My reasoning is that she is very old and was growing up in different times so she doesn't know any better.

Then I managed to shed some weight, she got very concerned that my eating habits are unhealthy and that I should better stop, even though my stomach was still pouring out of my pants.

Yes, because god forbid that I enter normal BMI for my heigh. I don't want to be skin and bones, I'm not attracted to that look, but I just want to be fit and lean and slim.

Comments like these still hurt.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I was at a restaurant in Amsterdam with my husband. when I ordered a French onion soup..and an entree.. the older male waiter looked at me.. and he said.. "you should only order one of those.. you don't need both. " haha.. I was thinking... who do you think your are? this must be a cultural thing I just don't get. He was dead serious.

I was more amused than anything. I did order both. I have to say.. I didn't see any heavy women in Amsterdam.
  • labelladaniella
    labelladaniella Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The priest who married me saw me again after 8 years and said that I had gained weight. He also made the hand gestures to emphasis this. Now I am 25+lbs lighter and training for my first bikini comp in 17 weeks. :-)
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've had a coworker say to me, after noticing a large drop in weight, "You're getting so small. You're not gonna go all anorexic and look like a skeleton are you?"

That really stung. I dealt with EDNOS for 5-6 years. I was constantly in a starve-for-several-days-and-binge cycle. That's what made me gain all the weight in the first place.
    I was finally recovered and had committed to doing this the right way, the healthy way.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    It wasn't said but lady's use to cross the street to advoid me. Or if they did pass me they would clutch there purse. It bug me because I'm not a bad guy
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Your Costco store has salesgirls? I've never seen one in any or our Costco stores in my area. Anyway, that unsolicited advice was definitely rude. Shouldn't have let it bother you but good for you for sticking with your diet.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    That was pretty rude, but other people can only affect us as much as we let them. I try to brush of any criticism and just move on with my life.

I certainly don't hate anyone who has been mean to them or wish them bad, no matter what they've said or done.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    WandRsmom wrote: »
    I am for sure top heavy. I carry my weight in my face arms And back. So I tend to look like I am a larger pant size then I actually am.

The other day I was shopping I have been buying size 4 or 6 pants for awhile and I decided to try the 2's just to see.

When I handed them to the lady working she looked it over to give me the tag saying how many items I had And then stopped abruptly sayi g " oh you got couple 2's In here I will get you 12's" laughing a tad she added " we wish right?".

I had to kinda laugh it off and tell her that I did infact mean to grab the 2's.

I was also sure to show her when they fit.

I clicked the 'Hug' button for you, but why isn't there a 'What a B-kitten' button?!
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 983 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    An acquaintance, in a pub, talked for about half an hour about his PhD. Towards the end, I mentioned that I also had one. He looked astonished, and asked "You've got a PhD?", emphasising the "You've".

Then he asked me what it was in, and on being told it was pure maths, he said "Figures". (His was in computer science.)

I guess I don't sound too bright when I talk...