PCOS weight loss + carb addict

Options
I want to know your opinions and experiences...

Is it possible for a woman with PCOS (and metabolic syndrome) to lose weight effectively without cutting on carbs? I ask that because every damn site talking about PCOS tells me to cut off carbs, but its simply not possible in my case. Yes, I tried.

I have a very restrictive tolerance to food so if I cut down carbs completely I would just starve or feel nauseous all the time from food I dislike, this is not a matter of preference, just the few foods I'm able to eat are always pasta or meat or something filled with carbs... I'm a chronic pick eater as you can see, I can only eat bland almost tasteless food.

I'm adventuring on some fruits but even so I can't tolerate most stuff people eat.

Even so, I'm trying to eat whole grain pasta and whole grain bread instead of white for the glicemic index thing and it seems to help keep me filled and satisfied in comparison with normal pasta. I'm able to keep it bellow the calorie mark with this regimen, even thought its not a healthy menu, I'm aware.

Would that work? What do you guys think??

I need to lose as much weight as I can because my knees are damned so that's my primary objective.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    While it seems some women with PCOS do better by cutting carbs, there are others who don't do so.

The best way to find out is to start counting calories and logging your food :smile: and be patient.

I can't link to it on my phone, but if someone else doesn't link to it, check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each sub-forum, specifically "sexypants".

I should note, the idea isn't to cut out carbs completely, just to reduce them. If your interested in trying you can aim to first get under 150g, and then under 100. But you can also start out not worrying about it at all and see how it goes. Good luck!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can lose weight without cutting out carbs. At the end of the day, weight loss with PCOS works the same as weight loss without PCOS: eat less calories than your body burns.

Low carb is recommended for PCOS because controlling carbs can help ease some of the symptoms associated with PCOS and can help PCOS women feel less hungry. So it can assist in weight loss in that regards. My wife has PCOS, and what we've found with her weight loss journey is not that her body can't lose weight, but that the symptoms of PCOS can make it more difficult to successfully follow a weight loss plan. If she's tired and in pain a lot, it's hard for her to go to the gym or cook meals. If she gets hungry and starts to get dizzy, it's easier for her to make the quickest food choice, not the best food choice. So low carb can help in that way by improving symptoms that make it easier to stick with a plan.

She does try to control her carb intake somewhat, but she is definitely not what people traditionally think of as low carb, and she has still managed to have some success losing weight. So I don't believe that cutting carbs, certainly not drastically, is required.

If you are able to successfully stay under the amount of calories that your body burns, you will lose weight, regardless of the composition of your diet. However be aware that for some women with PCOS, their BMR is lower than non-PCOS women. So if you have trouble losing, you may need to adjust your goals downwards (although never below an unsafe level, especially with a low nttrition, low protein diet). Give your body some time to see if your current plan is working for you.

My wife's weight loss has been slow, with many stalls and detours off track, but she has been moving downwards by not giving up and sticking with it. I believe you can too, even if you love carbs.
  • savannahs21
    savannahs21 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and i can lose weight without cutting carbs in fact my carbs are pretty high but that's just me,its different for everyone.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I have (or perhaps had?) PCOS and I lost 100 pounds by staying in a calorie deficit. I paid no attention whatsoever to carbs. It’s unclear whether I still have it because I was able to stop all medication and now manage all my insulin and lipid related conditions with exercise and a healthy weight. I haven’t had a period in about 7 years due to my IUD (a normal effect of this IUD), so no clue what my cycle would be like, but I don’t currently have any PCOS symptoms.

Lowering carbs may help some symptoms of PCOS. It’s not required for weight loss. Weight loss requires consistently being in a calorie deficit.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I can't link to it on my phone, but if someone else doesn't link to it, check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each sub-forum, specifically "sexypants".

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

• cowsanddogsarecute
    cowsanddogsarecute Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have lost weight without lowering my carbs. My carbs are all over the place actually. I don't have issues with any symptoms so I don't cut carbs or anything. I have to lose weight for my knees.
  • shaykinhand
    shaykinhand Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and didn't worry too much with carbs. I cut back and started eating healthier meals instead of a lot of fast foods and greasy foods. I cut back on sugar and started exercising like crazy and it seems to be slowly but surely coming off. I didn't know about the carb concern with pcos. I'll have to read up on that.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and have lost weight really well eating all the carbs. I probably eat 250-300 grams of carbs per day. Best yet I am so satiated by my woe.

Even so, I'm trying to eat whole grain pasta and whole grain bread instead of white for the glicemic index thing and it seems to help keep me filled and satisfied in comparison with normal pasta. I'm able to keep it bellow the calorie mark with this regimen, even thought its not a healthy menu, I'm aware. .

Why do you say that whole wheat pasta and bread are unhealthy?