i ate half a jar of peanut butter

Options
I have been doing so well with healthy eating lately, logging everything for almost two months straight, lost a good amount of weight and only went over my calorie count significantly about twice in that time and then today i'm in a really bad mood and i just kept going back to the cupboard for spoons of peanut butter (which I didn't think i even liked enough to eat by itself???) and now half a jar and about 900 calories later i feel sick and really angry with myself

i know this isn't a massive deal but my head is telling me i just erased two months worth of progress

someone make me feel better about this please haha

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    well i really can't see how it ruined TWO MONTHS of progress. depending on how big your deficit is you may not gain at all. just not lose/lose slower this week.

i would suggest taking a moment to review if maybe your deficit is too large to maintain without risking binges, or if maybe you are being too limiting in your food options. Maybe fitting in PB once a week would help avoid this sorta thing (maybe, maybe not). Sometimes when we try to eat too "clean" or too "diet food only" we only end up creating more and more cravings that become increasingly hard to avoid. Everything in moderation.

Today is a new day. We all have over eating days, it's normal.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    I would be in so much pain!!!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    900 calories isn't that much food at all. How much did you eat for the day? You probably at worst, at maintence for the day. So you didn't reverse any progress, let alone 2 months of it.

I've had days where I've eaten entire large Domino's pizzas during my weight loss journey and been fine. I didn't lost any progress, and once I got back on track I kept losing. I am sure you will be the same with some peanut butter.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Please don't beat yourself up: this is a journey, not a race.

We've all had those binge days, and, agree with @Panini911 , this one instance isn't going to blow everything. (Though, I would prepare for a stomachache--that's a lot of peanut butter.)

Tomorrow's a new day. :smile:
  • TonnnnUK
    TonnnnUK Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Good advice so far. Make sensible changes and chalk it up as a blip. And on the bright side it's a good protein hit, at least :smile:
  • peachvine29
    peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Great advice above, love what kimny72 had to say, and I would emphasize that you don't try to restrict yourself further tomorrow to try and make up for this! That could just lead to another episode of overeating. Just get right back on your plan and have your normal meals and calories.

I have had many days where I've gone 1,000+ over my goal calories (I have tried to restrict only 250-500 from maintenance) and have lost 63 pounds in 1.5 years! Slow and steady. It's what you do 90% of the time that counts. This is just a little slip, no big deal! It's okay :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    I've done that more times than I can tell you with peanut butter!

When I started buying fresh-ground peanut butter from the Natural Food section, it got worse.

Peanut butter is a trigger food for me. You're not alone, lots of people have peanut butter problems. I have to be super mindful about peanut butter or I can easily eat that much.

Just move on. Eat your normal calories today and keep going. No harm done. You learned that peanut butter is too delicious.
  • forestfreek
    forestfreek Posts: 5,770 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that you've done so well for 2 months is what you should be focusing on, not the one time you slipped up and were human. It happens. At least it wasn't the whole jar, which is the other positive.....lol.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    shw112 wrote: »
    I have been doing so well with healthy eating lately, logging everything for almost two months straight, lost a good amount of weight and only went over my calorie count significantly about twice in that time and then today i'm in a really bad mood and i just kept going back to the cupboard for spoons of peanut butter (which I didn't think i even liked enough to eat by itself???) and now half a jar and about 900 calories later i feel sick and really angry with myself

i know this isn't a massive deal but my head is telling me i just erased two months worth of progress

someone make me feel better about this please haha

It's really really easy to eat that much peanut butter. Don't feel bad. The average peanut butter sandwich people make has between 2 and 3 servings of peanut butter anyway. A couple of those, which I can easily eat, and you'd be at 4-6 servings x 180+ calories per serving. 6 servings = 1000+ calories. That's not a half a jar, unless it's a really small jar, so don't feel like you've done anything anyone else wouldn't do.

I have to stay away from peanut butter most of the time because it's too tempting. I keep it in the house for the grand kids, but try not to allow myself to start on it, because once I do.. I'm gonna blow up my calories for the day.

Then there's the honey I like to put on the sandwiches.. now add more calories.

If you really like it you can try some peanut butter powder which has the fat removed, it'll be about half the calories but won't taste as good, nor will it be the same consistency. I like the PB2 chocolate stuff the most, but it's expensive as well.
  • SugaSugaNooo
    SugaSugaNooo Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about it, you got it out of your system now, ready to move on. You'll be fine.
  • floofyschmoofer
    floofyschmoofer Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Honestly, of all the thing you could have binged on, you picked a good one. A body in motion stays in motion-- just keep moving forward and put it behind you! Just a speed bump is all!
  • cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    peanut butter is definitely my nemesis as well. i cannot control myself around it!!
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Log it, move on. Peanut butter is delicious, it happens. To all of us.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    2 months in, you needed a break. Nothing wrong with that.

You might not want to keep peanut butter in the house, though.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    Log it. Move on.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I don't have peanut butter in my cupboard because.... Why would I put something so calorie dense and something that tastes so good, one sensible tablespoon is never ever enough in my house? My fridge and cupboards feed me well... but no binge trigger traps allowed in my house. It has worked for me.