Giving up smoking and doing Keto

Options
Hi all.

Any advice: I recently hit my target goal Of 10 stone by doing keto for 5 months. I was really empowered by the weight loss I figured I could take the next step in my health journey and give up smoking. I’m on day 10 and am really craving carbs. My calories have crept up a bit but not more than 1600 a day and my carbs are still around 20 net.
Any tips??
TIA
Nicki

Replies

• grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Online smoking cessation support group - really helped when I quit nicotine back in 2006. Many great ideas of how to deal with cravings can usually be found on. Whatever you do, stay away from nuts and seeds, no matter how tempting they may be. Upping your protein and fiber for a bit, so more a 1:1 fat:protein ratio than the normal ketogenic diet 4:1 or 3:1 and more fiber dense low carb vegetables and fruits may help.

The fact is nicotine cessation will drop your metabolism. How much is, of course, the bone of contention. Upping the amount of resistance exercise you do can probably help by working your lean body mass. Plus, good way to work out/off any temper issues that may crop up as a side effect of quitting. ;)

Quitting nicotine can also affect other hormonal cascades for a while as well, including thyroid, so don't be alarmed if you see deranges there on labs for a while; it's only an issue if they continue to worsen vs. just drop and are suboptimal for a while.

• PAULSLIONS
    PAULSLIONS Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Easy snack recipes from Joe duff hun! So good and filling.
  • PAULSLIONS
    PAULSLIONS Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of healthy teas too! GL