Uk Obesity epidemic discuss

Options

Replies

• sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I live in Scotland, which is second only to America in obesity. Also the drugs capital of Europe, not even the party drugs, just because of all the heroin...and we have the UK's poorest city...yay. Lmao. We win. But nah our government do so much to try and get people to be healthy, I remember in primary 3 we had this brilliant month long healthy eating program at school where these people came in and we learned all about healthy food, and got to cook a new healthy recipe every day. I still remember the yummy veg soup and wholegrain pizza we made! We also got to mash up a banana and put it on our teachers face, as they were telling us about natural face masks :P
    More schemes like this, CONSISTENT ones, like once or twice a year, would really help.

I think they've changed it now, but when I was at primary school we didn't have PE - We had use of the PE hall. This was usually for PE, and we had a rota with other schools where we got to use a PE teacher some weeks, but use of the PE hall didn't always mean actual PE - often we had to use our one hour time slot a week for drama!
    On top of that, we only ever got a couple of months of swimming lessons. And we got the bus there, despite it being a 20 minute walk! The swimming lessons were rubbish too, as they didn't teach the non swimmers how to swim, just shoved arm bands on them and threw them in the shallow end. And this was for like 6 weeks. In the entire 7 years of primary school. If they started earlier and made it annual, maybe more kids would go swimming!

Then in Secondary school, although PE was compulsary 1st/2nd and 5th year, it was too easy to skive. I know because I did - and now I'm fat!
    What doesn't help though with PE is that it can be very embarassing - especially the whole cliche of being picked last for sports. The best PE classes we had were swimming and the fitness gym, as we pretty much worked on our own. Also, I understand why a lot of girls skive due to hair etc, you get 50 mins of gym and ten mins to get ready for your next class - even if you're not that vain it's still quite tough to make yourself look halfway presentable in this time! Especially when you sweat as much as I do.

I think another reason we're such fatties is because of the way the higher education system works - in a lot of countries you need extra curricular to get into college/uni - here you just need the grades, which is good in one way but in other countries people will often take up sport to help with uni.
    And of course, food in Scotland, is bigger, cheaper, greasier and a lot more deep fried than in England! My English friends don't believe how big our portions are compared to theirs!

Scotland:national dish, deep fried mars bar!

Also our drink and drugs culture - pretty much everyone these days drinks and smokes weed from like the age of 14, so they come home with the munchies and tan a maccy ds or chippy or whatever - again we have a lot more selection in our chippys than england.

Though one tiny excuse - IT'S SO ****ING WET UP HERE! ALL YOU WANNA DO IS STAY INSIDE AND EAT WARM FOOD!

LOL.
    anyway.
    ramblings.
    over.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Also, in reply to the fat tax, why make unhealthy food more expensive?! A lot of people buy it because it's cheaper than healthier, if you make it more expensive people just won't be able to eat. Eg A mcdonalds is like 3 quid - one of those salad boxes from a supermarket is like a fiver, if they really wanna help people be healthy they should reduce the prices of healthy food!
  • jagoochie
    jagoochie Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    also - we are all soooooooooooooooooooo busy
    i know it may be seen as a poor excuse - but if you and your partner both work and are out of the house from 7am to 6pm and sometimes 9pm - and then want to work out to be fit - then cooking from scratch is the last thing alot of people want to do at the end of a long day travelling to and from a busy stressful job
    i say give my man a payrise then i can stop working and then can cook healthy meals and be a housewife!
    id love to do that
    in todays age there is so much pressure to work and get good pay and be healthy and have children etc etc etc..... no wonder somethng gives!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Part of the problem is the word "obesity" itself. Once we stopped using the word "fat" we medicalised the condition and looked for causes other than our own behaviour. It's no wonder people look instantly for a medical solution such as surgery or pills without first trying to eat less and move more.
  • jagoochie
    Options
    Part of the problem is the word "obesity" itself. Once we stopped using the word "fat" we medicalised the condition and looked for causes other than our own behaviour. It's no wonder people look instantly for a medical solution such as surgery or pills without first trying to eat less and move more.

good point!

i guess if some one is called obese it is medical and they have a reason

if they get labbelled fat it isnt nice - so maybe that would motivate to do something about it
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options

'Tis very true.

Is it not a fact that there are very few verified medical reasons for someone to be hugely overweight?

I was fat because I ate too much, I ate the wrong things, I drank too much wine and did not take enough exercise. I got myself into the situation and there is no excuse for it.
  • jagoochie
    Options
    i am not saying that there are no clinical reasons why people are obese (i work in medicine i know some medical conditions and medicines can cause weight gain) but i think too many people use it as an excuse
  • Judas_Queen
    Judas_Queen Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I was just reading an Independent article on this subject. Sounds to me like the UK is starting to develop all the same problems that the US has.

IMO this is because we (the government.. current AND previous..)spend so much time glued to the USA's backside following them round like a lost puppy that they start to develop policies in line with theirs...

not only that but the americanization (<< see what i did theere, i used a ZEE!:tongue: ) resulting from SO MANY tv programmes, magazines, even books.. young (and old) people will pick up habits from these things! Especially when you watch a regular tv programme e.g. How I Met Your Mother, and they're constantly sat in a bar drinking beer, eating junk food (everyday and staying bizzarely skinny...) and sadly our susceptible brains only take in the fact that theyre having a good time and eating yummy, greasy food and swigging a few buds, and.. in time.. (a short time).. it becomes the norm!

Now i'm not blaming america, i don't like to generalise.. we have to take responsibility for ourselves, and OUR government needs to take responsibility for ITS PEOPLE (they wanted us so badly after all...) and introduce policies that will help this!

I went to a secondary school that gained sports college status, which.. was great! They got grants and the like and the facilities at the school now are amazing.. proper gym, astro turf, massive sports arena.. but I was never sporty, I only liked swimming really, but only used the pool 3 times in the 5 years I was there.... all football and rugby sadly! But they've had grants and funding taken away now.. so how can they carry on and improve the facilities and keep them up to date, safe and ultimiately USED without funding! Makes me MAD!

I'm lucky that where I live there is a whole variety of sports centres to go to, but not everyone has that, and the stinking government should cough up some of that cash we keep paying them and build some centres! BIG ONES that can cover large areas, with connections with public transport so people that live a little further can get there without paying £100 to get on 10 different buses!

thats all :)
  • Judas_Queen
    Options
    there should be better use of the school curriculum instead of the subjects such as humanities and media studies and the like.

you are aware Humanities includes History and Geography.. and we need geologists so that we can predict things like the weather, earthquakes etc and know how to prepare ourselves.. and i think History is a very important subject..

however... couldn't agree MORE about media studies! i remember having to take a compulsory media studies module as part of my english gcse ooh about six/seven years ago now, and it was just an excuse to watch four/five movies and pretend to write something about them.. (i didn't like it much.. but know my teacher and classmates thought it was great, fob off education for thelma and louise!)
  • MrsT99
    MrsT99 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I was never overweight at school I walked and rode my bike a lot but 12 minute runs and the like had me dying at the end so I was never fit to the extent I'm feeling now. I hated PE passionately.

I got sooooooo red it was just embarrassing and I couldn't run properly (my feet used to kick outwards a bit but it got better over time and now don't feel so self conscious when jogging). I have no coordination in terms of almost anything involving a ball and I am a horrific dancer so don't really like that in public where it can be avoided (unless I've had a few drinks).

I would have much preferred things like aerobics, step classes etc. If those alternatives were at school starting everyone off at their own pace it would have been much more fun. Just more choice in the exercise done. I also agree I can understand girls not wanting to get all horrible - my redness if brought on would have never been stopped by next lessons so it was embarrassing.

I think building fitness slowly rather than just throwing the whole class into fitness tests would have helped. When we used to do the bleep test at my school we used to deliberately come out early and chat sitting on the sidelines and watch the boys.....
  • Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    A few people have mentioned that healthy eating etc should be covered in school. I teach in high sschool and through citizenship I teach about healthy eating, being active and the importance of a healthy heart and how to have a healthy heart. Now i cannot comment on all the school in the UK, but I just wanted to mention that most schools, like mine, will cover the basics. But i think that this shouldnt just be left to citizenship, it should also be included in food tec (i have noticed that all the things that the kids seem to make in food are unhealthy desserts...... not a great message and things that kids should be learning how to cook) and PE, to hightlight the importance of this subject, bringing in as many cross curricular links as possible
  • dids01
    dids01 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    A few people have mentioned that healthy eating etc should be covered in school. I teach in high sschool and through citizenship I teach about healthy eating, being active and the importance of a healthy heart and how to have a healthy heart. Now i cannot comment on all the school in the UK, but I just wanted to mention that most schools, like mine, will cover the basics. But i think that this shouldnt just be left to citizenship, it should also be included in food tec and PE, to hightlight the importance of this subject, bringing in as many cross curricular links as possible

I teach science to secondary school children and at KS3 there is a unit on diet but more to do with waht diet should include and about btheir building blocks . My small contribution to get kids thinking healthily on this topic is to compare two different diets and explain the concequences of following each (use a good nutritional one and a poor diet full of fast food). this usually turns into a debate and is useful for the students.

Doesn't have to be PE food tech or citizenship we can all do something in what ever subject healthy eating even in maths you could price up eating at Mcd all day or making something.

Luckily my school has healthy school status so that the chef makes good choices for the kids.
  • Judas_Queen
    Options
    A few people have mentioned that healthy eating etc should be covered in school. I teach in high sschool and through citizenship I teach about healthy eating, being active and the importance of a healthy heart and how to have a healthy heart. Now i cannot comment on all the school in the UK, but I just wanted to mention that most schools, like mine, will cover the basics. But i think that this shouldnt just be left to citizenship, it should also be included in food tec (i have noticed that all the things that the kids seem to make in food are unhealthy desserts...... not a great message and things that kids should be learning how to cook) and PE, to hightlight the importance of this subject, bringing in as many cross curricular links as possible

I loved food tec at school! But we always made healthy stuff.. which was quite annoying at the time.. i only made one cake! Haha.. I made lots of vegetable curries, bolognese type foods, but i don't ever remember using oils, butter etc. Lots of vegetables, and taught how a balanced meal would look on a plate with pie charts etc.. clever! But not now.. my little sister in law is on about making cakes, and desserts and that type of thing.. not good!
  • Loonymoon
    Options
    I think we have to be careful with the BMI scale too. A lady at work was told her child was obese, there's nothing to him, he's fit, skinny and very active. But the nurse who told her that didn't use common sense and started saying he shouldn't eat this and that etc etc. The poor child is 7 years old and went home thinking he was fat which by far he is not and it gave him a real complex about the way he was and of course it made my colleage feel awful. Next time she took him in it turned out the nurse had read the scale wrong and infact he was in the healthy range! If she'd took one look at him and applied some sense she'd have known something wasn't right there.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Making healthy options cheaper might help but I doubt it. I didn't find it any more expensive to buy healthy foods than unhealthy, if anything it worked out cheaper because I didn't have all the rubbish in my basket. Organic is another matter, I can't afford that lol. Cooking from scratch is so much more time consuming than sticking a frozen meal in the oven or microwave and I think that's a big part of the problem. A lot of people just don't have the time to do it. Or the inclination after a long day at work.

People also don't know HOW to cook. I'm one of the generation who was never taught to cook at school. I was absolutely lost when I moved out and relied on things that came with cooking instructions such as frozen chicken nuggets, frozen chips, microwave meals etc. I've graduated to cooking meals from scratch but it's taken a lot of searching the internet for instructions and recipes. I'm all for bringing in life lessons in school, things such as shopping on a budget, cooking healthy meals, changing plugs etc. Personally I think it would make much more sense to teach things like this than to teach some of the things I had to learn!

Getting people off their backsides and exercising would help but how do you do it? Again, people don't have the time or the inclination after a day at work to go out and get some exercise. And for those struggling to put food on the table joining a gym or taking up a sport isn't an option, it's too expensive. Walking is free but most people seem to hate doing it.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I loved food tec at school! But we always made healthy stuff.. which was quite annoying at the time.. i only made one cake! Haha.. I made lots of vegetable curries, bolognese type foods, but i don't ever remember using oils, butter etc. Lots of vegetables, and taught how a balanced meal would look on a plate with pie charts etc.. clever! But not now.. my little sister in law is on about making cakes, and desserts and that type of thing.. not good!
    You MADE things in food tech? At my school we bought a chocolate log at Christmas and decorated it. We didn't cook anything ever. And all the teacher did was threaten to throw us out of windows and accuse us of being racist so we didn't learn anything either.
  • ziggy67
    ziggy67 Posts: 351
    Options
    I saw this on the breakfast news on TV this morning too...some reference was made to the fact that half the population in the UK would be classified as obese by 2030 if the government doesn't do something now..clearly this has to start with children being fed healthier diets and being encouraged to do more exercise and sport than they currently do both during and after school hours..I remember a while back when Jamie Oliver desperately tried to tackle this problem by encouraging schools to provide healthier school lunches....yet parents were shown on TV in some areas handing bags of chips from the local chip shop through the school railings at lunchtimes because their kids did not like the new food....I don't know how children can ever be expected to adopt a healthy attitude to food when their parents think it is clever to take this line of action.
  • climbingpanda
    climbingpanda Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    In school we have to be very careful about what we teach kids (or so it seems) I decided to use BMI to teach students to rearrange formula and be able to substitute values into formulae (we have to make everything practical, no chalk and talk even in maths!). As it would be insensitive to get students to work out their own BMI data was given to them on fictional people and they worked with this ... parents still complained to the school about the lesson ... unbelievable!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Fat is a feminist issue... or so we were told in the pre-PC 80s. :embarassed:

But Berry is right... we need to reclaim the word FAT and stop trying to make an excuse for our overeating. I affectionately call MFP "Facebook for fatties" when I talk to my real-life friends and family about it... because for me that's the best way to describe it. Of course MFP is much better than Facebook (the attraction for which I personally don't understand... but let's not go there :laugh: ) and it is most definitely a term of endearment :smooched:

I'm Kyle, I'm FAT... I want to stand up and be counted :bigsmile:
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I lived in Japan for 3 years, and I wonder if it might help to look at a country that's rich, has a lot of processed food, but actually isn't fat.

1) Kids learn about food by eating it. School dinners are compulsory while education is (up to 15), and at the schools where i worked, everyone was given a chart showing what today's protein, carbs, veg etc were, and their advantages. Cake was for dessert about once a month. My huSband, who is Japanese, looks at his plate to find the protein, complex carbs and veg. He can't stand it when my parents have scones for tea! Children who know why they are eating what they are eating are better equipped to make good choices later in life.

2) Parents expect children to make their own way to school. Where I lived, that mainly meant cycling.

3) Most kids love PE because it's the only time they don't have to think! PE is not sport (there are after school clubs for that), but focuses more on whether you can swing round a bar, make human towers, run a reasonable distance. Sports day can include piggy back fights, whole class skipping (jump rope) and other things our litigious society could never condone. It is fun though, and builds on group loyalty.

3) Snack food portions are smaller. The kids I worked with loved chocolate, etc, but I realised later, the pieces were tiny.

4) Restaurant portions are reasonable too.

I'm not suggesting that Britain can become Japan, but rather than taking tax pot-shots, maybe we should be trying to emulate somewhere where things seem to be better.