Rant!

Options
I went to the gym yesterday for the first time in a LONG time and it felt great (woohoo). I have been counting my calories this past week and feel good about this new lifestyle that I plan to have. My rant is about what someone said to me before I went to the gym and it went like this " I hate when skinny people complain about their weight, you're so skinny blah blah blah". I would not consider myself skinny by any means, maybe in comparison to her, but that does not mean I am happy with my body right now so if I want to start eating better and working out that's my choice and I should not have to feel bad about it because this person is almost double my weight and eats like crap!!! I guess my rant is about people who could stand to lose a few, do nothing about it and complain that everyone who is smaller than them should not worry about their weight GRR... Thanks for letting me vent..not that you had a choice :tongue:

Replies

• runslikeagirl
    runslikeagirl Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    OMG I totally agree. And I hate those people who ask me to help them run like me. I get so excited but then when I ask them to go run with me they have an excuse. Everytime I see them they ***** about their weight BUT never do anything about it.
  • spaztastic13
    Options
    To each there own i guess i hate that too but i have a friend that is way skinnier then me but way more out of shape!!!!
  • Leslie2273
    Leslie2273 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You need to keep in mind that eveyone has issues with their bodies which is a reminder that even if you are 'skinny' you want to improve on what you have. Unfortunately it is just that way it is...BUT is the person striving for 'perfection' that doesn't exist or to be healthier like a body builder....everyone's goals are different.

BTW I'm really curious...what type of animal is that in your profile pic? It's really cute.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    In society today skinny=healthy and fat= unhealthy. I have a friend that is very skinny and does not eat right. She has a multitude of health issues from an unhealthy lifestyle. I am fat and I have by far less health issues and have overall better healthy than she has. People also assume that if a skinny person want to be healthy they have some form of eating disorder. It is wrong but it is they way society sees things.
  • brenda_allport
    Options
    I share that rant! I walk in the mornings and the neighbor lady told me that I didn't need to work out and that I should be happy with myself the way I am. I tried to explain to her that I had put on about 40 pounds after a horrible back injury and now that I am able to move without pain I want to get back into my old life style. Her response was I should go see a professional about my low self esteem since I am not happy with myself. I was about to slap her!!! Who do these people think they are? I think it is a misery loves company kind of thing. These people who say stuff like that are just not happy with themselves and want to bring down those who are trying to better themselves. Just my opinion!!1!!
  • ladyerin79
    ladyerin79 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    More than once in my life I've had a tendency to be exactly like that person. I've been a big girl all my life, and it has always bothered me when a skinny girl would go on and on about how they need to lose weight. I would give my right arm to trade places!

I am glad you posted your rant... it has made me realize that everyone has their own personal journey, whether it be losing 5 lbs. or 150. I will learn to keep my comments to myself from now on. Thank you for the wake up call. :wink: And good luck on your journey!
  • cactusjon
    cactusjon Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, its probably just them reflecting their own insecurities. For some reason, they probably feel threatened by the fact that someone who is "thinner" than them is still striving to become healthier whilst they are doing nothing about their own weight.

Best thing to do is to use it as further motivation for yourself, and hope that you can become an inspiration or a catalyst for them to do something about their own weight!

Good luck, and keep going! :)
  • Ally1104
    Ally1104 Posts: 18
    Options
    I agree with you completely. And while it certainly is an ego boost to be called skinny (especially when I do not see myself that way), it is not fair to assume that since I am smaller than someone else, I don't need to watch what I eat or go to the gym. I think people are so focused on size that the healthy stuff is often forgotten. "Skinny" people need to maintain also. It's not like you go to the gym for a year and diet and get to your goal weight and you are done....there is always work to be done!!!
  • lauram_23
    lauram_23 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You need to keep in mind that eveyone has issues with their bodies which is a reminder that even if you are 'skinny' you want to improve on what you have. Unfortunately it is just that way it is...BUT is the person striving for 'perfection' that doesn't exist or to be healthier like a body builder....everyone's goals are different.

BTW I'm really curious...what type of animal is that in your profile pic? It's really cute.

Hedgehog, he passed away two weeks ago and his name was Scooter :(
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    This is coming from someone who HATES it when people, who in my opinion and my eyes have great bodies or are thin complain that they are soooo fat and need to loose weight. So this is the flip side of your rant. I'm 240 lbs and I hate it when ,or maybe hate is too strong a word, it bothers me when I see someone who appears to be a healthy weight complain that they need to loose. I would give anythng to have that body they don't like. I'm not at a healthy weight and it's a kick in the *kitten* when someone is and they aren't continent. I know everyone has body issues even those that are "skinny". But to those of you that are... I'd like to just say ... you look good and look healthy please accept your body. It could be worse-- you could weight 240 pounds and need to drop 100 pounds instead of that pesky 10 pounds that seems to drive you crazy. I'd give almost anything to be your weight so stop and just be happy.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    by the way I'm really sorry to hear about your Scooter-- he was so cute.
  • ShelleyD81
    ShelleyD81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I think that sometimes people just see how slim a person is and cannot believe that they would want to change themselves because in their eyes they already look good.
    I know I have been guilty of thinking this in the past but since have been going to the gym 4-5 times a week (I put on alot of weight as I have had back problems) I can see how rewarding it can be!

Good luck with the gym :smile:
  • lauram_23
    Options
    LadyErin- i am glad that I could show you the other point of view and that you will try to keep your comments to yourself:)

cSpence: I understand where you are coming from but my "beef" is with those who complain about their weight, make me feel bad about not being happy with mine and at the same time not doing ANYTHING to help themselves. Unfortunately, the way you compare your weight to others is the same way someone who isn't overweight would compare to even skinnier people. So while you may envy the bodies of those you believe are "skinny", at the same time they envy those that are "skinnier".

( this part is not directed to anyone, just my opinion) If you are overweight and work your *kitten* off to better yourself, I give you permission to complain about those who are smaller and still not happy with their body, however, if you are overweight and do absolutely nothing for yourself it makes me want to slap you for commenting on my desire to better myself while you sit on your *kitten* and eat junk food like it's going out of style.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    It never really bothers me when skinny-ish people complain about their "fat" bodies in front of me... unless they want to get rid of their muscles to get thinner. That's unhealthy and I personally don't approve of it. But if it's the flab they want gone, I'm fine with that, no matter how small.

One of my cousins sometimes says things like "I wish I could cut off my calf muscles to make my legs more slender." :huh: I don't care whether you're size 20 or 2 (she's a 2 BTW), I can't bring myself to agree with that kind of beauty ideals! But when she points out to her flabby bat wings and says she wants them gone, I understand and would support it 100% if she were ever to actually do something about it.

Edit: this was in response to cspence.
  • Ally1104
    Ally1104 Posts: 18
    Options
    Is there a like button on here I can click for your very last sentence!?!?
  • lauram_23
    Options
    by the way I'm really sorry to hear about your Scooter-- he was so cute.

Thanks:( He lived a good life (spoiled rotten) but I do miss him!
  • potuschris
    Options
    I really try to stay quiet about weight, etc. There are some people I'm comfortable talking about with it, but for the most part, I think it just ends up annoying people. Either the skinny person is annoying the heavier person by complaining they're "fat" or someone is annoying a skinny person by telling them they shouldn't worry about their weight. It's a sensitive area. A lot of times the person talking someone down has insecurities. For example, a friend of mine who is about a size 6 and frequent runner quit her job because the "mean girls" at her office continually told her she was "fat" and could afford to lose some. Clearly, the mean girls had some insecurities...