Weightlifer doing 1 week of cardio ONLY experiment

Options
dpandolfo0928
dpandolfo0928 Posts: 13 Member
edited June 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
So I'm a bigger guy I pack on alot of muscle and unfortunately a decent amount of fat. Just looking at my flabby stomach in the mirrir I was thinking . "should i increase my cardio? How about a entire week, no weights just cardio?" Now I already work out about 5 to 6 times a week weightlifting for an hour and cardio for about 15 to 20s at the end. Do you think I should try a cardio only experiment to see if weight loss increases.

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I’d recommend starting by entering your current stats into myfitnesspal and focus on food first. How much weight do you need to lose? Would you mind sharing your current height and weight?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,442 Member
    Options
    Weight management, especially fat management: It's about calorie balance. If cardio (hate that term!) helps you burn more calories without increasing appetite, you'll win. Also, cardiovascular fitness is a fine thing, for its own sake.

Don't drop the weights completely. Find your most time-efficient productive strength routine. Add "cardio".

Or just eat a little less than you burn via daily life + exercise.

Either one will result in fat loss.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    To lose fat, you need to be in a calorie deficit. Exercise (of any type) can help contribute to that.

I do 8 to 15 hours of what you'd call cardio per week, and still have to count calories to lose weight.
  • jenniferanderson3888
    jenniferanderson3888 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    10 minutes of cardio will get you nowhere. 30 minutes three to four days a week. Is awesome for your heart. But I do not exercise right now because it makes me starving all day long even though I only burn 200 for 30 minutes of cardio. Not worth it to me. I eat like a pig when I exercise