Question about heartrate x running

Options
I am aware that for training, I should be shooting for about 70-80 percent of my maximum heart rate. For me, that should be about 164 beats per minute. (my max should be around 205 according to standard formulas) My problem is this, while my resting heart rate is quite low (60bpm) my working heart rate appears to be very high (about 180 bpm) and always has been. I run comfortably at a 9:40 min mile, no huffing, no puffing, but I will ALWAYS reach 180 by the end of my runs- usually in the first mile.

Am I training too hard? I really don't feel like I'm killing myself at this pace. I can hold a conversation but I know I'm working like crazy not only from my heart rate but also the amount of sweat that pours off me.

I use a polar hrm btw. Thanks for your thoughts!

Replies

• gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am also curious....my heart rate is usually around 180, and that is for a slow and steady 6mph pace.....but my resting is super high as well. Maybe we are just SO EXCITED ABOUT RUNNING that it raises our heart rate?? :D
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    no... My HR is usually around 180-185 when I finish my runs... If you are a competetive athlete you can workout at almost your max heart rate... I am 19, and I think we are pretty close in age, so our stats for HR are probably very close. I think you are fine :P !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Exercise_zones.png
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Im not an expert, but when I'm running or working out hard, I'm over my max HR, too...I too, can talk to others but I sweat and i've always got a higher HR. I don't feel like I'm working out "too" hard, so I don't let it bother me too much!
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    Bumping to see other responses. My HR has always been this way for any physical exercise.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I used to have the same issue. I decided to try to run while keeping my HR at a lower level (I was running at about 175, I now try to keep it below 150 unless I am doing tempo runs or speed work), especially on my long runs. It has made a HUGE difference in my running and actually has hardly made a difference in my mile times. I liked to run before, now I LOVE to run. It feels great and I have been able to increase my long runs by a mile a week with no trouble at all.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    The standard equation for Max heart rate is not accurate. I'll dig around for the link to do a field test to determine your lactate threshold and post it up.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=633
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You don't have to worry about it being too high. Perceived exertion is sometimes a better reflection of effort than heart rate--at least until you learn your personal heart rate response. You can try field tests to determine a more accurate HRmax, but, in my experience, most beginners (and many regular exercisers) cannot push themselves hard enough to get a true max effort. So, you end up doing a lot of work and discomfort, incurring a certain level of risk--and you still end up with an estimate. Just pay attention to your heart rate at different levels of exertion and learn your own "zones".
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I am aware that for training, I should be shooting for about 70-80 percent of my maximum heart rate. For me, that should be about 164 beats per minute. (my max should be around 205 according to standard formulas) My problem is this, while my resting heart rate is quite low (60bpm) my working heart rate appears to be very high (about 180 bpm) and always has been. I run comfortably at a 9:40 min mile, no huffing, no puffing, but I will ALWAYS reach 180 by the end of my runs- usually in the first mile.

Am I training too hard? I really don't feel like I'm killing myself at this pace. I can hold a conversation but I know I'm working like crazy not only from my heart rate but also the amount of sweat that pours off me.

I use a polar hrm btw. Thanks for your thoughts!

Overall, no, you are not "training too hard". I believe most people should train for fitness, not specifically for weight loss. That means including longer, easier workouts, medium 'tempo" workouts and shorter, high-intensity interval workouts. Make the "easy" days easy, and the hard days hard.
  • Floobaloob
    Floobaloob Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My heart rate also goes really high when I run despite a resting heart rate of about 65.
    On a longer steady run I average 175bpm for the entire run. Not huffing or puffing and running at a comfortable 10min mile. On shorter runs when I'm running at my 5km pace my heart rate is usually 185bpm average.
    The max heart rate I've recorded on my HRM is 203 and I suspect that my MaxHR is higher than this (which makes it quite a bit higher than the age estimate formula). My HRM starts beeping at me if I hit 195 or higher, I believe it thinks I'm about to drop down dead. Quite reassuring to find out that this isn't the case