My scales are erratic, I get different readings within minutes

Options
2»

Replies

• Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I can't leave my scale out right now because my toddler will pick it up and break it/get hurt (it's a Renpho, it's got glass in the top) so I have to hide it in a closet during the day. What I do instead is I have a designated tile in my bathroom which is exactly where I always place it - since the tiles are about 12"x12" the scale fits exactly on 1 tile. This seems to have given me very good consistency.
  • smal48
    smal48 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My digital salter scale was doing this too. I changed the battery (even if new this could be an issue) and make sure I zero it every time I use it (I have to put it away between uses as very cramped house and destructive toddler) and it’s fine now. I check it against my analogue scale (same issue as you - I can’t read the display easily, hence the digital scales) and it’s accurate again.
  • neversaynever_43
    neversaynever_43 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I step on and off 3 times. Sometimes they are the same. Sometimes each reading is different. I take the lowest reading.
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I can't leave my scale out right now because my toddler will pick it up and break it/get hurt (it's a Renpho, it's got glass in the top) so I have to hide it in a closet during the day. What I do instead is I have a designated tile in my bathroom which is exactly where I always place it - since the tiles are about 12"x12" the scale fits exactly on 1 tile. This seems to have given me very good consistency.

I do the same! My scale lives under the bathroom sink cupboard and comes out every morning to be placed in the centre of the same square floor tile 😊
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I step on and off 3 times. Sometimes they are the same. Sometimes each reading is different. I take the lowest reading.

Same here, except I average out the 3 readings 👍
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Floors are unreliable, I move the scales, if the first two weights are the same all good, if not try third and average it.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    My scale always does this too. This morning it said I was down 10 lbs. Would love to have been that weight but knew it wasn't right. Weighed again - down 10 lbs. Weighed again - up 10 lbs. and then weighed two more times. It is just what I have to do to get the correct weight. Annoying - sure. And for me, because the scale is such a problem for me mentally, I had my scale hidden from me for the month. Asked for it to come out of hiding and then I go and weigh myself 3 days short of 1 month and now I am back to being so obsessed about the number. I thought I was now ready to handle the scale but I am sorry to say I am not. So after Monday a.m. the scale will be hidden. (I guess I went off topic a bit, sorry)