Running - Pain below knee

Options
Hello!
Just looking for someone who can point me in the right direction. Googling doesn’t seem to be getting me anywhere!

I started running a few weeks ago but have been getting a pain below my knee - it’s definitely not my knee joint itself, it feels like the top of my tibia (inner side)
I always start my runs by walking a mile or so (no pain) as soon as I’d start running, the pain would appear... nothing too bad, and after half a mile or so, it would fade, but I’d get a dull ache (the same pain you’d get after you’d banged your leg just below the knee) afterwards, which I just assumed was because I’d started running! Things sometimes grumble!
Today, I started running and felt great when I set off, however when I took a short recovery break at my halfway point, running was suddenly too painful! Walking was still fine, just the dull ache initially.
It doesn’t seem to match the common running/lower leg issues... knee cap feels fine, too high for shin splints, inner side so not iliotibial band... what could it be?

Thanks!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    If it's inner knee just at the joint, it may be a meniscus tear. It's hard to diagnose, and sometimes can be treated with physical therapy, but sometimes needs surgery.

Start looking at that online and also YouTube has strengthening exercises for meniscus problems. I had surgery on one and I'm babying the other knee right now along with PT. Good luck.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I’ve actually had pain in the area you describe when I have IT band issues. No, that’s not where the IT band is, but I think I was experiencing some tightening of other areas as compensation for the IT band issue. (No scientific evidence for this—just speculation on my part.). However, when that has happened to me, I’m also feeling it along the outer thigh and IT band insertion point at the knee.

As a new runner, shoes are always the first thing to check. Did you get fitted for shoes at a running store? If not, do that.

Overuse is also a common cause of injury in newbies. Are you following a structured running plan like C25K?

Some people swear by foam rolling and some say it doesn’t do anything. I personally think it’s worth a try. If it’s anything like the pain I’ve had, I’d try foam rolling the quad/IT band on that side.

I would stop running for a few days and ice the area. If there’s sharp pain, it interferes with your other activities, and/or it doesn’t go away with ice and rest, get it checked out.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    how fast have you been adding millage? it is suggested to only increase by 10% per week, you may have added too much too fast.

I suggest taking a week off, then starting slow again, and adding distance/time slower
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for proper running shoes? If not, I would start there. I got terrible shin pain when I first started running, got fitted and once I started wearing the proper shoes I had no more issues. You just need to go in to a local running store and they will work with you to find the perfect shoe for you. Some people, like myself, just aren't fortunate enough to be able to go out and grab any old pair of Nikes and start running.
  • chrishelms31
    chrishelms31 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Everything everyone else has said..plus look at your form, cadence, and pace. Easy to over do it early...or anytime really if u r older.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I will echo the suggestion of being fitted for shoes and follow a structured program like c25k. I personally started c25k in February and although I had been fitted for proper shoes I did have the knee pain you describe along with hip pain on my 3rd week. IMO this was due to overtraining. After doing some reading I did two things that helped. 1. I increased my rest days until recovered. 2. I SLOWED DOWN. To the point where I was barely jogging. This was a game changer. I was able to complete the program without any additional issues and am now regularly running 30+ continuous minutes 4 times per week. Your body needs time to build endurance and adjust to the impact. Take it slow.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    And if none of the above work, see an orthopedic surgeon and attempt to get a diagnosis and ask for physical therapy if they don't bring it up. That may involve getting an MRI done as an xray won't be especially useful for most soft tissue injuries. Note that despite the fact that "surgeon" is in the name, most orthos prefer to go the conservative non-surgical route and reserve surgery until all non or minimally invasive options have run out.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    My experience: After a healed broken ankle, I noticed my foot rolling inward (over pronating) as I was performing farmers walks barefoot. My knee and my hip started getting little pains and tightness. Weakness. Sports doctor suggested focus on glute/core. Physical therapist suggested quad and hamstring stretches as well as strengthening. And keep your fitted shoes/insoles updated. My tennis court shoes last about three months (the new lightweight rubber wears quickly).
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I had the same feeling when I started running the first time. Doc thought it was a torn meniscus, after an MRI and 2 x-rays turns out it was hairline fracture in my tibial plateau. Had to take 6 weeks off and start again.
  • JesNotJen
    JesNotJen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the shoe fitting. Shoes matter.

If it’s not that, it could be any number of things as you can see from all the responses. I had the same kind of pain a while back. It turned out to be a cyst that had popped. It was in an unusual place so it took a minute and a bunch of tests before diagnosis (They typically show up behind the knee).
  • sammiejroo
    sammiejroo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies!

I’ll get my shoes/gait checked... last time I did, I wasn’t a runner (used to cycle, so I’d guess I wasn’t running as I do now) and it was 10 years ago! :#

I do use my foam roller after every workout, so I will focus on my IB - can’t be a bad thing!

I’m not doing a C25K... I did it last summer and struggled with my lungs (turned out I had a problem with my breathing, I wasn’t doing it properly!) so this time I focused on my breathing rather than time intervals or distance... and my lungs have been feeling great, but I guess it’s been too much for my legs. I do run slowly (I think my average pace is around the 12/13 minute mark) but it definitely looks like it’s definitely been too much too soon.
    I’m doing 4-5 miles 5 days a week, usually running about 70-75% of the overall distance, walking the rest.

As walking doesn’t hurt, would it be ok to still walk the same distance and run less within the distance? (after some rest!)

Thanks again all :smile:
  • RhinoSaurusRex75
    RhinoSaurusRex75 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    By the proper insoles for running and jogging. No shoe comes with the proper support. Improper support cause severe schin splints as well as knee and back pain. $75 at the walking company will buy proper arch support that'll change your life.