How do you stay motivated?

Options
I know that the scale lies and weight gains while dieting may be water weight or other things, and measuring yourself is important to see true changes, but it’s still frustrating to see the scale going up for a while then down again. During those up moments how do you all stay motivated?

Replies

• smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I remind myself it's not a diet, but rather a lifestyle change... a forever thing. I'll make tweaks along the way, but I just keep repeating to myself, "trust the process, trust the process." I don't freak out and try to remember that the only way I can fail is if I give up.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I've weighed myself daily for so long that I know exactly why the scale is going up. Spaghetti for dinner? Up 2-3 pounds the next morning. Couple days before TOM the scale jumps 2-3 pounds and sticks around until TOM is over. Fly on an airplane? Depending on how long the flight is, that can bump me up EIGHT pounds. Sunburn, sore muscles, etc, etc, etc.

No need for motivation. I know it's water weight, not fat gain.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    i'm a routine person. so once i'm in a routine, i just stick to it. stick to the plan. stick to the routine.

i'm on the last 5lbs. things were going great but the last 6 weeks the weight went up, then stable, then up. it's been a VERY long 6-7 weeks. But this week things seem to be in the right direction. If this current trend continues i'm not terribly far off the original planned loss even though the scale was awful to me for 6-7 weeks.

I also eat foods i enjoy day to day. and on weekends. this keeps it easier to stick to routine because it's one i enjoy.

lastly, knowing that the alternative to sticking to routine (and actually i doubled down on weighing and double checking entries used) was to stop all of this and likely gain weight over time again. so that wasn't an acceptable alternative to me. as bad as the current place was, as upset as I was, the alternative was only going to be worse.

Pretty much this. Motivation will desert you frequently, but routine is incredibly powerful. I weigh myself at the same time on the same day every week. I log everything before I eat it (and eat a lot of the same things, so I have a pretty good idea of where I'll end up even before logging). I have my runs on the same days and schedule around it. There are plenty of days where I don't feel like going for a run after work, but I'll still find myself putting on my running clothes without having made a conscious choice to do so because it's a run day, and muscle memory takes over.
  • squishyjenn
    squishyjenn Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    This is great advice! I love this part best “the only way I fail is if I give up” that’s my new mantra!!
  • iSalemBZ
    iSalemBZ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    none of the mirror 2 hours looking *kitten*, i just listen to piano tracks, and deeply think
    for instance this is a track i would suggest
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8LmvhsgrJY
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I don't stay motivated, but I do it anyway. What's the alternative? Eat the way I used to? I can't do that and lead the life I want to lead. So I do it anyway.
  • clairetomkinson
    clairetomkinson Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If I give up I'll be back where I started and that is not much fun.
  • Sm3018
    Sm3018 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I try new things...I recently started kickboxing and love it.