Scales not moving.. advice?

Options
I'm so annoyed and frustrated. I can't seem to make any real progress despite doing everything right.. low calories.. yesterday I only had between 1300 and 1400 calories.. and was more active.. I am not lifting weights or anything but the body composition scales seem to say that I lost body fat while gaining muscle. I know that's not a bad thing if that's the case but that's not the results I want.. I dont want more muscle.. i just want to lose the fat and see progress.. especially since i can't eat what i want... it's been days.. same exact weight.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at it? It sounds from your post like maybe it's only been a few days? And you've added new/more workouts? Is that right? If so, give your body some time. It takes some people a few weeks to see the scale go down after starting more exercise because of the inevitable water retention that comes with muscle repair.

I'm sure people would be happy to give you more detailed advice if you want to set your diary to public for a bit or give us more details, but it sounds like time is the biggest factor missing so far.

And body composition scales have a high margin of error so I wouldn't worry about those numbers too much.
  • CherokeeTopaz
    CherokeeTopaz Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I started.. (re-started) a few weeks ago and the first 4 to 6 lbs just came right off.. not sure exactly how much it was because I only had an analog scale when I started... but now I've had a digital for almost 2 weeks now.. and i seem to have hit a wall.
  • CherokeeTopaz
    CherokeeTopaz Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My cycle is due next week.. idk if that's what's throwing me off.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If it's only been two weeks, then yeah water weight from your monthly cycle or the increased exercise would be my first guess. Drink plenty of fluids and see if you can wait it out.

Otherwise, again, we don't have a lot of details. Your diary is closed. You haven't said how well you track, what kind of exercise or how often, whether or not you're eating exercise calories or using any kind of activity tracker, do you scan barcodes, use a food scale, use the recipe builder, trust outside websites, etc. We don't have a lot of information to help troubleshoot this. If you want to give us more details or set your diary to public temporarily, it might help.

Otherwise, this would be my generic advice:

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one and use it for everything. Everything. For a couple of weeks to see what kind of discrepancies you're running into. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries. Don't trust the barcode scanner or restaurant entries 100%.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight, happy scale, or libra to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • stephiea88
    stephiea88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sound like it could be a mix of starting your cycle and beginning to workout! Your muscles are contracting and holding onto as much water in your system as possible! Try to drink more water and keep doing what you're doing. Muscle weighs more than fat, so even if the scale doesnt change, it doesnt mean you arent making progress! Good luck!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice here already but I wanted to comment on one more thing. You said the first 4 to 6 pounds came off right away. That always catches my attention because likely much of that was water. If that had been fat lost in two weeks you would have to be eating at a deficit of 1500 calories per day. It is unlikely you were that low so what has probably happened is the water level in your body has rebalanced now and you are in fact losing fat but some of the initial water loss has been regained. Believe it or not this is a good thing. On top of your cycle and increased exercise you are likely just seeing a rebalancing and although it appears you have lost no "weight" you in fact have lost fat which is likely what you were shooting for. Keep going and don't quit you are on the right track.
  • mstarks01
    mstarks01 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Most women really don't need to worry about gaining too much muscle. Without taking testosterone or having a hormonal imbalance, you are quite unlikely to get bulky from muscle. Remember, muscle allows you to *do* more things, and fat takes up much more volume. You will get smaller while losing fat even if you gain some muscle. Stay with it.