Help Exercise is bringing me down

Options
I started going to a gym I do 20 min walking on the treadmill, 5 min row machine, 10 min elliptical and then to have a cool down I do 3 miles on the bike so almost 1 hour total and 3 to 4 times a week the problem is I feel good at first but then I just dont feel good for the rest of the day I just dont know what is wrong any suggestions? Has anyone else had this problem? Also the scale is not moving I am staying the same weight

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight, you're not on a calorie deficit.

That's as certain as if there's no gas in my car I can't drive it. Just a fact of nature. What that means is if you want to lose weight, track your calories, and it becomes simple. If you're already doing this, your numbers are off, find out where.

You didn't tell us what kind of feel bad, so it's not possible to give decent advice. Sore, tired, depressed, they're all "bad" and mean different things.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    You may be dehydrated, which can affect your energy. The new exercise regime may cause your body to hold on to water, which will show up on the scale. Your workout isn't actually burning a lot of calories, so if you aren't tracking carefully, you may be eating more than you are burning.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    With regard to the scale ‘not moving’ it’s unlikely that the workout you describe would burn many calories, obviously it completely depends on your height and weight, but for me, I’d maybe burn 300cal doing this routine I expect. So doing this session 3 x per week it would take me about 12weeks before I lost a single pound! And that assumes that I don’t have any extra calories as a result of being more hungry or taking a drink to the gym that has calories in it.

Now granted you may be significantly heavier/taller/male and thus have a somewhat greater calorie burn but essentially my point is that it would take a long time to see the scales drop from what is essentially not a massive calorie burning level of activity. Do not get me wrong, it is absolutely SUPER that you’ve increased your activity level and I’m sure you’ll see fitness gains almost immediately, so when you do, keep pushing yourself out of your comfort zone - to add another 5 minutes on the rower or put some jog intervals into the walk or increase the time you spend on each machine by 10% etc.

Just be patient - it’s much easier to reduce the calories that you eat than it is to burn them off hence many people you’ll hear saying that weight loss is ‘80% diet / 20% exercise’
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your calorie intake and weighing all solid food?

What proportion of your exercise calories are you eating back, and how are you calculating them?

How long have you been exercising at this level?

How long has it been since you’ve seen any change on the scale at all?

My first guesses are that you are doing too much too soon, and/or not eating enough to fuel your exercise. Lack of change on the scale may be due to normal water weight fluctuation as part of the muscle repair process if this level of activity is new for you.
  • Sunflowerinbloom
    Sunflowerinbloom Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Only 2 1/2 weeks and this is more exercise than I have done in a while and I just feel drug down and sore all over my son thinks I am not drinking enough water which he is right I slowed down on the dr pepper for a while but i have drank more than I should since last month I have lost every month since Oct except for last month makes me wonder if this is my slow down since I have lost for so long and I need to shock my body,
  • Sunflowerinbloom
    Options
    And a lot of times I eat more than 1500 a day but less than 2000
  • apullum
    Options
    Your body does not need to be “shocked” unless you are in cardiac arrest.

At the beginning of a new workout plan, you will likely retain water as part of the normal muscle repair process. This could explain why the scale has not gone down.

Doing an hour of exercise 3-4 times per week may be too much for your body at this time. Try doing shorter workouts and gradually increasing the time.

We would need to know your current weight, goal weight, and height to make any suggestions about your calorie intake. It’s okay to eat different amounts on different days as long as you are in a calorie deficit for the week.. If you follow your MFP calorie goal consistently, you will be in a calorie deficit. However, if you aren’t weighing all solid food with a food scale, then you don’t know how many calories you’re eating.
  • Sunflowerinbloom
    Options
    264 lbs and my goal weight is 165 and I am 5'7
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It is perfectly normal to feel tired the rest of the day when you are first started an hour of cardio.
    It is going to take your body some time to increase your mitochondria. Once it does that, your overall energy will increase.
    Give it a few more weeks. I agree that you are probably retaining water because you are building muscle. I returned to the gym in March after a six month absence. I was sore and tired for over a month. Now I feel fantastic.
  • apullum
    Options
    264 lbs and my goal weight is 165 and I am 5'7

Depending on exactly how your calorie intake fluctuates and how active you are, you may be undereating. As a ballpark estimate, TDEE for a lightly active 39 year old woman with your height and weight is about 2620. (I got your age from your profile, but I don't know when you updated that. If you're older now, your TDEE will be a little less.)

If that TDEE were correct for you--which it may not be, since I'm making some assumptions--that would put you at about 1620 total calories per day to lose 2 lb/week. That number would include your exercise. If you have a lot of 1500 calorie days, or if you're more active than I estimated, then you're likely undereating.

Because I made so many assumptions that may not be correct, and because I used a TDEE calculator instead of MFP's NEAT method, your MFP calorie goal is probably not 1620. However, the logic of whether or not you're undereating still works the same way.

You need to consistently eat the number of calories MFP gives you, plus half your estimated exercise calories. Use a food scale for all solid food to make sure you are eating the correct number of calories.
  • Sunflowerinbloom
    Options
    Thanks guys all this info has really helped!! I need to weigh my food more and I will continue to workout I might have to tweek here and there but most important for me is not to give up i just have to figure out what's best and what works for me and keep going because my motivation is my son who is in the navy and will be home for Christmas, I want to make him proud when he sees me for the first time!!!!
  • bro1622
    bro1622 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello Sunflower, good for you for having such a goal! (And thank your son from me for serving our great country.)
    I noticed that you mentioned drinking Dr. Pepper? Maybe you should cut out all sugary drinks and just drink water for a month and see those results. If you absolutely must have a carbonated/sweet beverage try 'Dr. Sevia'. It's an all natural caffeinated beverage sweetened with Stevia Leaf Extract, but I'd only drink one a day or less. (My son's friend lost almost 40 pounds in a year just by stopping the sodas!) Also since muscle burns more calories I would recommend doing 20-30 minutes of cardio a day rather than an hour and adding 30 minutes of weight training alternating muscle groups to give your body time to recuperate. If you don't allow your body to rebuild the torn down muscles you are not doing yourself much good.
  • Sunflowerinbloom
    Options
    Thank u i will!! Yes i agree i know it's crazy but food is not my addiction it's more the dr pepper so I agree totally on that, and the months leading to last month I drank water water water and I was losing great until I started to drink to much dr pepper so I really do think it is what caused me to stall on my weight loss which I will be changing!! I will try what u suggested on 20 to 30 min cardo, what do u suggest on what I should use at the gym for weight training?
  • apullum
    Options
    bro1622 wrote: »
    Hello Sunflower, good for you for having such a goal! (And thank your son from me for serving our great country.)
    I noticed that you mentioned drinking Dr. Pepper? Maybe you should cut out all sugary drinks and just drink water for a month and see those results. If you absolutely must have a carbonated/sweet beverage try 'Dr. Sevia'. It's an all natural caffeinated beverage sweetened with Stevia Leaf Extract, but I'd only drink one a day or less. (My son's friend lost almost 40 pounds in a year just by stopping the sodas!) Also since muscle burns more calories I would recommend doing 20-30 minutes of cardio a day rather than an hour and adding 30 minutes of weight training alternating muscle groups to give your body time to recuperate. If you don't allow your body to rebuild the torn down muscles you are not doing yourself much good.

Sugary drinks have nothing to do with weight loss unless you drink them when you don’t have the calories for them.