No motivation!!!

My goal is to lose 8kg. I was doing well. I was consistent for 4 weeks. 5th week I messed up. My period cravings happened and I binged 3 days straight. I tried to get back on track but each time I mess it up. It’s like I lost motivation. I tried other strategies but they dnt work. Ugh

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Look at your avatar: “consistency is the key to change.” You have to find the motivation within yourself. How badly do you want it?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    My goal is to lose 8kg. I was doing well. I was consistent for 4 weeks. 5th week I messed up. My period cravings happened and I binged 3 days straight. I tried to get back on track but each time I mess it up. It’s like I lost motivation. I tried other strategies but they dnt work. Ugh

Try to lose the pass or fail mindset. Forget "the track" just keep logging whatever you are eating now and try to cut back in some easy places over time until you are back in any kind of deficit. The better plan is one that feels more normal to you and that would require much less motivation.

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    One thing that can help is take a step back and kind of analyze yourself.

What motivates you?
    Think about the things you have to do and you DO manage. or think about the things that you enjoy doing, and think about what makes you like them and succeed at them.

So things that I've seen listed as motivating others...
    Rewards. Avoiding self-decided punishments. Accountability to someone else. Making charts and getting to fill them out. Thinking of the future. Long term goals, short term goals. Competition, with others or self.

There are things like dietbetters, where you literally bet with others online as you try to lose weight, and you get part of the joint pot if you succeed.

Or people sometimes make it a competition with themselves to see what they can do for the day, or the week, to log X times, or see if they can eat X calories less today than they did yesterday, and so on.

I read about one guy who put money in an envelope and gave it to a friend, and if he hadn't completed his goal in 2 months, his friend donated that money to the political party that he hated. He hated it so much, it would motivate him to keep going. :-)

Or sometimes just going to a movie if you succeed that week, or getting nails done, or going to see a game, and on and on.

I guess what I'm saying is there are SO many ways you can try to motivate yourself, and they don't have to be inside the box. You can get creative and whatever it is, if it works for you, go for it. :-)

For ideas, you could always try to look at articles on ADHD or aspergers, maybe. Both of these groups have challenges with motivation due to brain function, and what helps motivate others often doesn't work for them. So they have to think of different ways to motivate, and some of them can be really creative, and who knows, might work. :-)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,143 Member
    We already covered the fact that you were probably over restricting by deliberately under estimating activity and exercise.

That's not fun.

When you make things too hard and not fun you don't want to keep doing them.

Stop looking for motivation.

Make your goals smaller and easier to achieve.

Or possibly smarter and more appropriate should recomp be more appropriate than weight loss.

In any case, slower progress beats no progress or regression