Options

Replies

• lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Well.

I was obese. About 34 BMI.

Now I've been at 21 BMI for years.

Set goals, log food, step on the body weight scale regularly. Focus on good nutrition, it makes it easier. Take a walk.

One meal, one day at a time.

Thanks- I'm definitely on the right path. I track my food and go to Pilates daily. It was just a shock to see that. Wow.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Is that table correct? It has different BMIs as being in different categories for different heights? Or am I reading it wrong.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    nooboots wrote: »
    Is that table correct? It has different BMIs as being in different categories for different heights? Or am I reading it wrong.

I don't know. I haven't invested much time in trying to figure out my label or even my BMI as there has been no point. That chart doesn't even go up high enough for where I started.
  • nooboots
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

That's what BMI is...height to weight. I'm 5'10" and 180 Lbs...not obese. My wife is 5'2"...if she weighed 180 lbs, she would be obese. Someone who is taller is going to weigh more and have a higher range of healthy weight.

What I mean is, if my BMI is 32 I would be merely overweight according to that, but if someone who is shorter had a BMI of 32 they would be obese. That cant be right, your BMI indicates the category you are in.

Actually scrap that, I hvae just realised they've made an error on the 5'5 line, it must be wrong
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Nice! I figured I was now in the overweight category but it says I'm in normal range. I have 19 more lbs to go.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    When I started posting here I was morbidly obese (41 BMI), now my BMI is just a few pounds from "Overweight" and then it's full speed on to "Normal"!
    I think numbers like that may freak some out, but maybe it's just a good reminder to you where things can lead and to stay healthy
  • GoobertozTakoz
    GoobertozTakoz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I started with a BMI of 32.7 and after keeping track of my calories for 10 weeks, I'm now in the overweight category at 29.5. This was with very little exercise as my fibromyalgia is still kicking my *kitten* and with 1 week of not counting because I went on vacation. I still have about 23 lbs to go to get to a normal BMI and I'll get there eventually. Losing the weight has helped ease my overall pain levels and I have started using weights to help build muscle slowly. You got this just keep at it.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

Beats me. I just stumbled upon it. I'm sure it's not 100% accurate.
  • nooboots
    Options

Beats me. I just stumbled upon it. I'm sure it's not 100% accurate.

They've just made a couple of typos in the line for the 5'5 height, thats what got me confused, hence my question! Seems to generally be on track with the NHS calculations so its about right.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I use this calculator, I never use charts https://nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm

This one is my favorite, been using it from day 1;

https://webmd.com/diet/body-bmi-calculator

Also in looking at my old files it appears my beginning BMI wasn't 40, it was 45!
  • Clarisse_McClellan
    Clarisse_McClellan Posts: 44 Member
    Options

TFS! I'd forgotten about the waist-hip ratio thing, and my BMI is showing obese, even though I know I'm just overweight. Seriously, I'm 5'1" and a size 10. I'm fat, yes, but not obese. :D
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    The chart is off. Use one from a reputable .gov website.

According to the OP's link, I am in the overweight category now @ 196 lbs. and BMI of 30 since the cutoff for obese according to the chart is 200 lbs. for my height. In reality I am still in the obese category with a BMI right now of 30.7. I won't finally be in the overweight category with a BMI of 29.9 or lower until I am 191 lbs, so still five pounds away.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Ive just calculated mine at my starting point, which was 46.9. The NHS website just calculates as obese but I know that its in the morbidly obese category, Im not sure if there is one above that either which I might be in. Im 6 weeks in and Im now 44.6.
    My aim is in a years time I hope to be in the obese category (rather than morbidly obese). What an aim in life.

Still it is what it is.

Actually, looking at that table, I 'only' have 20 pounds to go, thats not too bad. At 179lbs I will be overweight. I will write that in my plan.

The category above morbidly obese is super morbidly obese, and it starts at a BMI of 0. 50.

Edited to fix typo on that final number.