Trying to get off the meds!

Options
Hello all. I got a serious wake up call in February 2019. A1c came in at 7.6. I got serious and have dropped 31 pounds since. My last blood test came back and my A1c was down to 5.4. That's the very top end before you go pre-diabetic. My goal is to keep my A1c in check, get off my cholesterol and blood pressure meds and be able to keep up with my 3 1/2 year old and my 6 week old! So far so good, but it's always good to have people in your corner keeping you focused.
Feel free to join me, add me and or share me.

Replies

• ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations. All that hard work is paying off! I'm down from 8.1 to 6 and hoping to be off meds this year too.
  • requiemcrow
    requiemcrow Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That's admirable, and I hope that you succeed!
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Great news for you! My last A1C was 8.5, so I am also working on getting my weight down and my numbers in check. Am also on cholesterol meds - hope to get off those one of these days. Keep up the great success!!
  • brettossman2
    brettossman2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Are there any tools on this app to assist with A1C or Type II Diabetes? I didn't see any. I know losing weight and exercise will help, so maybe don't need anything in this app, but thought I'd ask.
  • Oldestdadever
    Oldestdadever Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I’ve gotten my A1c in check using this ap by keeping a close eye on my macros daily. I took the number of carbs and sugar they’ve allowed and cut them in half for my own guideline. Worked for me. Best wishes.
  • Roy1C
    Roy1C Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss and getting you numbers down. I’m right there with you. I hope to get off BP meds and I’ve lived too long to have it end in a stoke or heart attack. Let’s keep it going!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Are there any tools on this app to assist with A1C or Type II Diabetes? I didn't see any. I know losing weight and exercise will help, so maybe don't need anything in this app, but thought I'd ask.

The main thing with diabetes is limiting net carbs per meal to what your body can tolerate. Add a fiber column next to the carbs column on what you track using settings, and you can more easily calculate net carbs.

My recommendation, which allowed me to get me a1c from 11 at diagnosis to consistently under 5, is to buy an inexpensive blood sugar meter with inexpensive strips, and test after every meal until you learn your own limits. Different diabetics handle different foods differently. For example, I have friends who have trouble with fruit, and I can eat a pleasantly large amount of fruit with no problems, but I can’t eat even a small amount of rice or flour tortillas without a spike. On paper, flour and corn tortillas look similar in terms of carbs and fiber, but one spikes me and the other doesn’t. Other people are the opposite. Having the information is freeing - instead of hoping I’m doing it right and waiting three months for a doctor, I know from moment to moment what my glucose is. Not to mention that post prandial (after meals) blood glucose is a better predictor of complications than a1c is. Don’t mess about trying to get your insurance to pay for a meter and strips - most won’t cover more than one strip a day unless you are on insulin, and you really need to be testing several times a day to benefit, plus, the brands of meters which insurance companies tend to push are less accurate according to consumer testing and have strips which may cost more than a dollar apiece! Buy either the Walmart brand or the Bayer contour next, and strips are pennies apiece.