Calories when food is deep fried

Options
Hi, thank you to all for your continuous support. My question is how do we find out the calories for fried food. The frozen food that has the calories written on the pack surely must mean the total calories of the food itself. But if its fried how much of oil calories do I add. How do we measure it. I have tried weighing the item before its fried and after if is but the weight of it doesnt change as such. Thank you so much

Replies

• scribblemoma
    scribblemoma Posts: 115 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I believe you’re going to have to manually add how much batter you’re using (if any for the frozen food) as well as the oil calories that get on the food to make it crisp. There’s no way to do that with 100% accuracy but leaving out the oil, which can add 200 calories easy, will really impact weight loss. I’d guess that 2 Tbsp would be fairly close BUT I haven’t fried food in over 3 years so I can’t really remember how much gets on the food 🤣
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Check against the USDA food database as a general guide but it's near impossible to get it exact.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/

If you're able to invest in an air fryer, I'd highly recommend it. I've got one and it's been an amazing addition to the kitchen.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    Weigh or measure volume of oil both before and after deep frying to calculate amount absorbed?
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I would add 200 calories per fried item. My family eats deep fried foods and they can pack a tonne of oil. I would avoid fried food (since they’re not worth it and not good for you anyway) and invest in a airfryer or shallow fry in small amount of oil in the mean time. Baking is also a good alternative.