What works for you?

Options
I'll give a little bit of my story first.
I had a baby back in April and have lost half the weight so far. Pre-pregnancy I was 125, delivery day I weighed 192. HUGE weight gain.. Had a very hard time accepting this but I am finally doing something about using this website/app. I am obsessed and I love it!
BUT, I recently quit my job and I get to stay home with my little man now.. Which I am thrilled about! So obviously my work-out schedule has opened up. I do have a treadmill but I guess I'm just curious as to what works for you guys.. Any DVDs or special routines?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity. Loved it
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I lost my job back in February and that's what really kickstarted my journey. I didn't want to sit around and gain more weight. I have a treadmill too...and an ab lounger. I also did some DVD's (Hip Hop Abs!) and I took the kids to the park and walked alot. Once I plateaued though and went back to work I decided I needed to switch it up. I belong to a new gym now so I can keep changing up my workouts. Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The trick to doing something consistantly is find something you enjoy doing. Rememer we are working toward lifestyle changes here.

If you are super motivated - you can do something (effective) that you hate - for awhile. That doesn't work for me. So, I found something I enjoyed doing walking, pilates, and yoga DVDs. Now these workouts will not whip you into shape super fast, but they are effective for me because I DO them regularly.

I own a treadmill - but I got terribly bored. Cardio recommendations: Leslie Sansone 3 Mile Weight Loss Walk or Walk Weight Loss Bootcamp (also 3 miles). Walking videos are not for everybody - they are repetative - and no brainier. For me, no brainer is a good thing (I'm a klutz).

Pilates (toning) DVDs - Ana Caban has several Gaiam workouts (be careful with Gaiam .... they rename stuff a lot). Pilates Body Band Workout is fun. 10 Minute Solutions has several also - nice to program 2 or 3 sections at a time - and go.

Yoga - (flexibility & balance) Sara Ivanhoe Yoga Body Makeover is wonderfull. Rodney AM Yoga for Your Week is great.

collagevideo.com has video clips and reviews - you can get a feel for the DVD before buying.
  • rjwood62
    rjwood62 Posts: 10
    Options
    I enjoy running and do decently well with it and my apartments have a gym in their office that is nice too. Just harder to find the time to leave since I have my son here.
    I do actually have the hip hop abs, but haven't done it yet. Maybe I should alternate running one day and hip hop abs the next. I am very determined and although I realize my body will not look the same after having a child if I can get close I think I'd be happier!

Thank you!
  • tradrick
    Options
    I could not agree with TeaBea more. Find routines that you enjoy doing. Were you will do them with regularity. I enjoy walking (were I can clear my head) at a moderate pase. Usually around 3 - 3.5 mph. I do this for 1 - 1.5 hrs. I also like doing strength training with dumbbells. I can work every muscle group and have a set from 5# - 30#. And plan on buying more soon. I also like the ideal of cycling. I have a stationary bike that I use some. But I believe I would like doing it outdoors more. So, I'm saving my pennies and plan on buying myself a road bike for Christmas. This gives me enough variety not to get to bored. And I am always looking for new things to try. So far I enjoy all of the above. Which means I will continue to do them. Good Luck.
  • rjwood62
    rjwood62 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you all so much!