10k steps...what should my activity level be?

Options
Hi, sorry if this has been answered I couldnt find it in the search bar. I am a female and My activity level is set at sedentary because I have a desk job and i dont walk alot. Recently I got a fitbit and its been around 4-5 weeks where i am meeting my 10k step target. I am on a 1200 calories diet do I have to change my activity level to active as i feel my body is used to doing 10k steps and doesnt feel its a form of workout? Should I eat back half the exercise calories or leave them as it is.

Replies

• sumayaiphone
    sumayaiphone Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your very helpful advice!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I have mine as lightly active; I also have a desk job, but tend to have to walk to get to meetings, and like to be up and about whenever I can. I don't log anything as exercise unless my fitbit picks up on it and it's either something substantial I did, or it's a planned workout/walk I'm doing. I found that this has worked well for me!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Hi, sorry if this has been answered I couldnt find it in the search bar. I am a female and My activity level is set at sedentary because I have a desk job and i dont walk alot. Recently I got a fitbit and its been around 4-5 weeks where i am meeting my 10k step target. I am on a 1200 calories diet do I have to change my activity level to active as i feel my body is used to doing 10k steps and doesnt feel its a form of workout? Should I eat back half the exercise calories or leave them as it is.

Your body may be "used to it" but that's nothing to do with burning calories - it takes energy to move mass over distance. A super fit individual and a couch potato who weigh the same and walk the same distance with one person finding it easy and the other finding it hard would burn virtually the same calories.

Whether it feels like exercise or a workout doesn't change the fact that you are burning a lot of calories with that high step count. Not really seeing the point in using a tracker and then not using the data it gives you.

When I had a sedentary desk job and walked about 6,000 steps I set myself to Lightly Active. When I retired and moved more and sat down less I had to bump it up to Active.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at lightly active, get in 10,000 - 15,000 steps a day (more some days). I don't add it as extra exercise, just let MFP and Fitbit talk to each other, eat a percentage of the exercise calories back. Try to make sure minimum net is 1200 (most days more) and am losing an average of .5 a week.