Help! I am in TWO weddings!

Options
Looking for motivation and support to tone up and drop a few lbs before the TWO big weddings I am part of this upcoming April and June 2012. Both are 200+ people weddings, and I am not about to be the "fat" bridesmaid. I have had success with p90x and will be using that along with cardio, zumba fitness, and planning my diet....and let's not forget the Cheat Day. :) Join if you are in the same shoes or have already worn them. Thanks MFP!

Replies

• jkincaid0202
    Options
    I'm getting married in 15 days and this site has helped me sooooo much. The big test is picking up my dress from the shop today! Good luck!
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I was a bridesmaid in two weddings this summer and one of those weddings had a Vegas bachelorettenparty! I know the pressure not to be the big bridesmaid lol! That was one of the big factors that got me on MFP at the beginning of the year!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I didn't exactly get in shape for weddings, but I've been in a few recently. If you want to add me as a friend for support, feel free. Good luck! P.S. I'm an avid believer in the Cheat Day.
  • Ruchell
    Options
    I'm getting married in 15 days and this site has helped me sooooo much. The big test is picking up my dress from the shop today! Good luck!

Good luck! That's such an exciting thing! Congrats!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Why is it that women have to "one up" each other at weddings if they are in the entourage? I see this all the time.
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I was just in a wedding August 13th, for my sister. I actually started my journey 2 years before she asked me to be in her wedding as a bridesmaid. You will achieve your goal if you stay consistent with your food and your exercises. I had lost up to 34.4 lbs before the wedding. It was the most beautiful I have ever felt in my life. It kind of makes me want to wear dresses more now. I went from a size 12 to size 4 in pants. I had a few cheat days, but they were usually occasions that I gave into. My dress was a size 14 but it was too big so they had to take in about an inch on both sides i think.
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Why is it that women have to "one up" each other at weddings if they are in the entourage? I see this all the time.

Because there are so few eligible bachelors in this world, and they are usually friends of the groom. And since weddings make people long for togetherness, females feel the need to be THE BEST looking one there to attract better mates
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Because there are so few eligible bachelors in this world, and they are usually friends of the groom. And since weddings make people long for togetherness, females feel the need to be THE BEST looking one there to attract better mates
    I might buy that if there were statistics to show it. But, it seems that it's just about vanity. Not that it's not important to look your best, but I find (since I train many women for "events") that more women put more effort to look better at a wedding than any other time even if it's not their own. I would think they would want to look good all the time and not just for an event.
  • megsr09
    megsr09 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is not very supportive. I am not trying to "one up" anyone at the weddings. Simply put, I want to be my best self and confident while I stand up there to support two of my best friends. Quit sterotyping please :)
  • jkincaid0202
    Options

I might buy that if there were statistics to show it. But, it seems that it's just about vanity. Not that it's not important to look your best, but I find (since I train many women for "events") that more women put more effort to look better at a wedding than any other time even if it's not their own. I would think they would want to look good all the time and not just for an event.

Since weddings are such highly photographed events, I know I wouldn't want a double chin and back boobs in someone's pictures of their special day.
  • megsr09
    Options
    Exactly! The last thing I want is to look back at all the pictures and think to myself "wow, I really wasn't that happy with how I looked!" My friend's have asked me to support them on their big day, I should be courteous enough to present my best self...perhaps how they met me 5 years ago when we were all freshmen in college together?
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options

Since weddings are such highly photographed events, I know I wouldn't want a double chin and back boobs in someone's pictures of their special day.

This^. It's definitely because of the pictures. But I was never able to lose weight based on a wedding alone. I had to do it because I was finally generally motivated, but I know the feeling of the pressure. Plus if they are close, you probably want some pictures of the day, and you don't want to have a bad feeling every time you look at them.
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options

I don't feel I have to one up anyone. I lost weight for my own personal reasons. I couldn't walk very well 3-4 years ago, and it was really hard on me, it took me a long time to wake up to it though... I woke up to it 2 months after my ex fiance and I broke off the engagement and he went off to prison...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm sure they are more grateful for you being there then if you weren't in your best shape. Personally I think that most wedding photos end up depressing most women because that's how they used to look compared to after. If I polled today how many could actually fit into their wedding dresses now, how many would say yes?
    My point is that many women overly fret being criticized for not looking good on a wedding day. If your friend were concerned about her entourage being fat, then she would only have skinny friends on it.
  • megsr09
    Options
    @Ninerbuff - you obvisously cannot relate to this topic. Your "advice" and personal thoughts on the entire scenario are not appreciated. I am going to ask you politely to please not comment on this topic and bring in your negative energy. Whatever you were trying to accomplish with your posts is not being conveyed properly. Please stop. :)
  • Ruchell
    Options
    @Ninerbuff - you obvisously cannot relate to this topic. Your "advice" and personal thoughts on the entire scenario are not appreciated. I am going to ask you politely to please not comment on this topic and bring in your negative energy. Whatever you were trying to accomplish with your posts is not being conveyed properly. Please stop. :)

Like!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Hey..ask any woman who has been there, we all know how HORRIBLE some of those bridesmaid dresses can be, and is it just me, or do they run smaller than your regular sizes in everything else? Most of the time they are unflattering in the first place (hope the ones you have to wear are better than some of the monstrosities some of us have encountered!), which makes us want to lose beforehand, and we all want to look our best when we see all of the friends, family, etc. who we don't see all of the time.

Anyway, good luck with your efforts, and with 2 to get ready for, I'm sure you have all the motivation you need - you will look fantastic!
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options

Well, we do all want to look our best all the time... but a huge event with a fancy dress is just extra motivation.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You asked politely and I will oblige.