Night Time Nibbles and Other Stumbling Blocks

Options
I think about starting dieting daily. I have put on a stone in weight over the past year and I’m struggling to keep on track. My main issue is getting through the evening without having double portions, or a snack, or the glass of wine. I can get through the day fine. Apart from alcohol, my nighttime eating is a habit, and whilst I’m not chomping on sweets or crisps, I still snack. Rather than replacing the snack, I want to stop the habit..., I really need some support and encouragement here. I’m starting Monday 10th June 2019.

Replies

• mscandide
    mscandide Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same struggle. Hopefully we can help each other!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    This is one of the hardest things to do. I try to eat dinner a bit later in the evening (around 7 pm) so I’m not actually hungry later, and then leave room in my calories to have one snack of flavored Greek yogurt (feeds my sweet tooth) after dinner. Doesn’t always work, sometimes I binge on raisins or dry cereal (yeah, I’m weird). If I’m feeling “snacky” in the evening sometimes I’ll try to do something other than reading or watching TV to distract myself.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    First, stop thinking about it and planning to start and just start. Even if your first week is just logging your food and always going over your calorie goal, the habit of logging will help you down the line.

I save 100-200 cals for an evening snack. I weigh out my portion, put the package away, log it, then take it back to the couch to eat (or drink). Then I make myself a cup of mint green tea to sip. If I find myself thinking about more snacks, I dump the tea and go brush my teeth.

I find i need to snack in the evening, it helps me sleep better.

The best way to break a habit is to replace it with another habit. Try thinking of other simple easy things you can do to keep busy in the evening, like a book or video game or knitting or exercise or a crossword or whatever, and leave reminders of it nearby.

Remember that changes like this take time. Don't use the first night you eat too much as an excuse to quit altogether. If you are in a 500 cal deficit, and you eat 200 cals of extra snacking, you're still in a deficit. And if you've done well all week, but have one extra glass of wine one night, it doesn't magically erase the deficit you've built up during the week.

Finding a way of eating that will easily keep you at the right calorie level for the rest of your life can take time, will involve some major screwups, and takes some trial and error, so be patient :smile:
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,304 Member
    Options
    keep sweets..crisps..wine..out of your home/kitchen and any other food or drink that trips you up... buy healthy groceries.. plan your meals and log them. Plan healthy protein snacks late afternoon and eat a sensible dinner loaded with vegetables and lean proteins that provide bulk and keep you full. You most likely know this... you just have to did deep and do the work.
  • shoebarb
    shoebarb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try sitting in a different spot in the house in the evening. I know it sounds weird but you want to change the trigger to eat. Maybe it's not the seat, maybe it's turning on the tv. In that case try reading a book or listening to a podcast.
    Another thought is are you eating enough during the day? Perhaps your body is hungry?
    New habits are hard but it is possible.