Binging! Yikes what, why, and how to stop!

Options
tthickens637
tthickens637 Posts: 312 Member
edited June 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Hey All,

I'm curious about binge eating. Every few days I have an insatiable hunger that turns into over-eating. My macros are good 40C/20F/40P and my daily calorie goal is 1350 (60y/o female, 5'8", 160lbs). At least once a week, and sometimes twice, I end up taking in 2000+ calories. It's seriously slowing my progress and I feel like such a failure when it happens. I'd like to know what you consider binging, why you think it happens, and what you do to overcome it!

Replies

• emorrell21
    emorrell21 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    How active are you? Is it possible that 1350 isnt enough? It might be more sustainable if you up your calories a bit.
  • alexandravictoria88
    alexandravictoria88 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I binge when im bored or extremely tired. Ill start off with a small snack i.e. an apricot which later turn to 6 apricots, a kit kat bar and a slice of toast. When im on a binge i am NEVER full. I find it so stressfull and so hard to stop myself!
  • tthickens637
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    I have the same issues. Let me tell you, I think it just SUCKS to be an older woman with the calorie restrictions we are given.

Right now, I'm on 1450 (55 y/o, 5'7") in order to lose .5 lb a week. Yesterday I met my goal and I got the "If you keep all your days like this, you will weigh XXXX in 5 weeks." Wow, that seems like a LONG time to still be overweight.

I think the problem is that we've been given such a low caloric value due to our aging TDEE, but unfortunately, our stomachs have not gotten the message.

You are hungry. That's why you are having these scattered binges. Although, to me, 2000 is hardly a binge. It's just a tough caloric goal to meet every day (1350).

When I read these forums and I see the young people getting to eat 1600-1700 calories a day to lose quite a bit, I am so envious. I remember when I was there!!! Seems like a luxury now. When I see what people are eating on the "healthy breakfast" thread, I know I can't because it would blow too much of my daily calories. No wonder we have these little binges.

Anyway, I was probably no help but just wanted you to know that you're not alone!

That was totally helpful! As I was reading it I was thinking 'damn right' and cheering you on. Guess I'm a little bitter about this. 🤣
  • tthickens637
    Options
    I binge when im bored or extremely tired. Ill start off with a small snack i.e. an apricot which later turn to 6 apricots, a kit kat bar and a slice of toast. When im on a binge i am NEVER full. I find it so stressfull and so hard to stop myself!

You hit the nail on the head for me - both why and what happens. I think boredom plays a huge role for me too. When I'm engaged/enjoying what I'm doing, I don't even think about food. In fact, when I'm busy I'll forget to eat and end up famished - which is also a slippery slope!! Thanks for your insights. 🤗
  • tthickens637
    Options
    Very insightful! I 'usually' won't touch the 'not for me' food. But when binge hunger hits, I might have 'just one' - and really savor it - and maybe 'one' of those too - and deliberately enjoy it - and... oh heck, I guess I'm really hungry! I'll have some of my good food now - and maybe even a little more because I'm sooo hungry. Great, now I've blown my budget for the day. 😞
  • tthickens637
    Options
    emorrell21 wrote: »
    How active are you? Is it possible that 1350 isnt enough? It might be more sustainable if you up your calories a bit.

That is a great question. Thinking about it, my activity level isn't consistent. I'll regularly get my base level in, but on top of that I might work my rear off on some big manual labor project all day or I might lounge around all day. 🤔
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options

That is a great question. Thinking about it, my activity level isn't consistent. I'll regularly get my base level in, but on top of that I might work my rear off on some big manual labor project all day or I might lounge around all day. 🤔

What percentage of the calories that you earn from exercise do you eat back?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Hey All,

I'm curious about binge eating. Every few days I have an insatiable hunger that turns into over-eating. My macros are good 40C/20F/40P and my daily calorie goal is 1350 (60y/o female, 5'8", 160lbs). At least once a week, and sometimes twice, I end up taking in 2000+ calories. It's seriously slowing my progress and I feel like such a failure when it happens. I'd like to know what you consider binging, why you think it happens, and what you do to overcome it!

This sounds like you, only 1350 instead of 1200:

binge-low-calorie-diet.jpg

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

I'm 1.5 inches shorter than you and can't imagine eating a paltry 1350 calories.
  • tthickens637
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I don't count exercise calories.
  • tthickens637
    Options
    Hey All,

This sounds like you, only 1350 instead of 1200:

binge-low-calorie-diet.jpg

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

I'm 1.5 inches shorter than you and can't imagine eating a paltry 1350 calories.

That is a great chart! The visual helps. I was following TLS guidelines, but I'm beginning to think 1350 is too aggressive. Being older, my TDEE is pretty low, so any significant deficit drops me way down there. I'd rather not starve and take it slower. Also I don't want to end up loosing muscle.😬 Thanks!
  • wifeoferp
    wifeoferp Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I find that if I eat less calories in the morning/lunch, then I can eat a larger amount of calories at dinner time and it helps me to feel more satisfied. My brain knows that I’ll get plenty at dinner, so it helps make eating less earlier easier.
  • tthickens637
    Options
    wifeoferp wrote: »
    I find that if I eat less calories in the morning/lunch, then I can eat a larger amount of calories at dinner time and it helps me to feel more satisfied. My brain knows that I’ll get plenty at dinner, so it helps make eating less earlier easier.
    Thanks for sharing. I'm starting to realize I need to be more strategic like that too. The past two days I logged a evening snack first thing in the morning. And believe it or not, I forgot both days that it was there until evening when I realized I had room left in my budget for a decent snack. I was so excited!!🤣
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    My experience has been that binging has been associated with not eating enough. When I do eat my budgeted calories I rarely have a problem.

I had very few problems with binging during my active weight loss phase. It started happening more frequently as I got close to goal and early in maintenance (maybe because I had less "in storage" to sustain myself at that point??) As soon as I made sure to eat all of my daily calories, the binging went away.
  • pontious11349
    pontious11349 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    wifeoferp wrote: »

THIS!!!!!!!!!

I eat very frugally all day (keep macros perfect) knowing I can have a big dinner with my family in the evening eating what they eat.

I then workout (with a lot of fuel from dinner) in the evening and have a small snack after.

Bed. Go again the next day.
  • Dazzabean
    Dazzabean Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hey All,

Hey theres nothing wrong with having a few cheeky chocs etc from time to time. It does me no harm and I still manage to lose weight
  • Dazzabean
    Dazzabean Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    And I lost 2 kg last week😁
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    i think kshama hit the nail on the head. you are under eating on days you are active thus under-fueling leading to binges (and less control around them).

On the busy days log the exercise and eat more. or sorta average it all on the week and eat a bit more daily.

• kshama2001
    Options

I don't count exercise calories.

Good news! Sounds like there is a simple cause for the binging - undereating in general for your height and the amount of weight you want to lose plus not fueling your exercise - and thus a simple solution: eating a little more on a regular basis :)

If you use MFP to set your calorie goal, exercise, but don't eat back any exercise calories, you are not using MFP the way it was designed.

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1