Intermittent Fasting and meds

Options
combsshan
combsshan Posts: 47 Member
Hi, I started intermittent fasting 3 weeks ago and I really like it. Here's my issue. I have meds that I have to take twice a day 12 hours apart. When I take them without food they make me woosie and lightheaded. I'm currently doing an 16:8 fast. I fast from 7pm to 11am. Since I take my meds with lunch I can't take them again till 11pm. I go to bed about 9:30, but my husband usually comes to bed around midnight and it always wakes me up so I take my nighttime dose then. I would really like to shorten my eating window because I finding that I'm not really even hungry for lunch anymore, but I need the food to take my meds. Any ideas.

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Definitely ask your doctor. Some meds are ok with a small amount of food, others need more food. Also the food itself can affect the absorption of the meds.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    My only question would be about what you hope to accomplish with the IF? Why are you choosing IF?

Also second and third what was suggested above - talk to your Dr.
  • combsshan
    Options
    I've asked my doctor and of course she says, "Well you'll just have to eat". None of my meds require food, but I just feel weird when I don't eat with them.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    combsshan wrote: »
    I've asked my doctor and of course she says, "Well you'll just have to eat". None of my meds require food, but I just feel weird when I don't eat with them.

Unfortunately, sometimes prescriptions or even just personal quirks make some dietary strategies unworkable for some people.

Perhaps eat the smallest amount of calories that will keep you from feeling bad with your meds, and see if that doesn't stoke your appetite as if you hadn't eaten at all?
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to shorten the eating window?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Consider modifying the 16:8 fast to a 12:12 plan so that you can take the medicine with food.
  • cynthiaheim7956
    cynthiaheim7956 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Where can I find information on intermittent fasting?
  • combsshan
    Options

There's ton's on the internet. Just look up intermittent fasting. There are also several threads here that you can search for.

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Consider modifying the 16:8 fast to a 12:12 plan so that you can take the medicine with food.

Agree. A 16:8 fasting window is incompatible with a 12:12 med schedule if you need to take them with food to feel OK. Since there's no inherent benefit in eating in any particular window, perhaps experiment with eating the bulk of your calories within whatever window you choose, but save a small, set number of calories to take with your meds. For myself, I would pick something simple and stick with that one snack as a routine.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Run it past your doctor. IF is only an eating schedule. You still need the proper amount of calories and nutrients to stay healthy, but you determine when you eat. If 16:8 isn't working just right, then modify as you need to. Eating a 250-300 calorie snack in order to take your meds will not destroy your day or your progress. Just keep the doc aware of what you're doing so he/she may be able to answer to any other side effects etc you might want to be aware of.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

Google.
  • CarleyMarie83
    CarleyMarie83 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    May I ask what medication you are on? For me I have a diet cordial for meds that need food and have had no ill side effects :)