Newly diagnosed diabetic. Need friends of all sorts

Options
wrensong27
wrensong27 Posts: 33 Member
The family curse has struck. Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Now losing weight and watching my diet isn't just something I should do, it is something I MUST do. My grandfather died from complications of diabetes and he was physically fit. My mother almost died from it, and she too is not overweight.

I am fat. If I do not lose weight, and control my diet, I could lose my eyesight, a leg or even my life. So, now I am learning a whole new way to live, and eat. This won't be easy. I am from the deep south, food is comfort; especially high carb food.

HELP! I need friends and encouragement!

Replies

• smkraus2013
    smkraus2013 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent :)
    I'm being tested for Diabetes right now as well.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hello OP and well done on not ignoring the diagnosis. Has your Dr recommended any drug regime or have they suggested weight loss first ? Here in the UK, its becoming more common to go for diet first, and even a very low calorie one at that - there's a theory that a sharp shock to the pancreas of losing the internal fat can get it back to functioning properly. Some reading material here for you:

https://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal/#overview

Anything like this must be done with the support of your doctor but I wanted to share this with you so you can see that this it is not necessarily a done deal that you have this for life.

I was hitting the prediabetic markers in February and was just about touching T2 criteria - I am 40lb down now and apart from still being fat :) all my other markers are back in the normal zone (not even hitting the prediabetic markers now).

Like you, I needed the health markers to tell me to lose weight - up until that point, being fat hadnt stopped me from doing anything.

Good luck girl - you can do this !
  • tzujana33
    tzujana33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all!!! I am new to MyFitness Pal and am also a Type 2 diabetic for 9 years now. I have struggled with high blood sugars this whole time and am trying to work on diet and exercise as well as taking my meds. I am open to suggestions and ideas to help in my journey. Nice to meet you all!!! :)
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Welcome wrensong27. I have had diabetes about 5 years, but just started taking it seriously in April when my doctor put the fear into me. I am now diligently logging my food, testing my blood sugar, and was exercising until I injured my knee (a few weeks off should do it). Two recommendations are to check your blood glucose often, and to see a dietitian. Many diabetics are very successful on a low carb diet. I, however, love my carbs and my dietitian and I have come up with a moderate carb plan that is working for me. You will need to find what works for you and your health. I searched 'diabetes' and 'diabetic' in the message board to read previous messages about diabetes. There is also a diabetes support group on MFP. From Community, click on 'Groups' in the upper bar. Search for "Type 2 Diabetes Support Group" and ask to join. We can do this!!
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    you'd be surprised how quickly you can lower your a1c just by losing weight. when i was diagnosed as type 2, i was never told to limit my carb intake, just to eat 'quality carbs', whatever the f that means. so i paid no attention to carbs at all, lost 46 lbs, and my a1c dropped from 10.7 to 5.9.

you'll find plenty of support here. the friend thing isn't for me, but it works for many. best of luck!
  • youcan31
    youcan31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Send me a friend request girl
  • sosmer1
    sosmer1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm right in there with all of you. I am eating the wrong things constantly (sugary food) and need to lose weight. Do you guys use the basic My Fitness Pal or is the Premium better to follow everything?
  • gnoble1001
    gnoble1001 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    T2D for 6 months, I think I found my peeps! I need to up my game and looking for support community! I'm on metformin, which was increased yesterday, and need to get back in track with daily walks and food log! Emotional eatting has been my biggest struggle as of late. Hope we can support each other!
  • gnoble1001
    gnoble1001 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs after initial diagnosis by walking away from carbs and started light exercise. I was in the honeymoon stage they say... I feel much better, and excercise is easier after you start. I struggle to find food balance in my day. One day at a time!
  • morganjw1
    morganjw1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed over a year ago. It's scary for sure but you can beat it. I'm down to just metformin and 1 Trulicity shot per week. No insulin! It took me almost a year to get really serious about my diet but now I'm down 17lbs in the past 3 months and A1c that started at 11.9 is down to 6.9. Not much further to go.
  • SunflowerW10
    SunflowerW10 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I’m terrified that I have diabetes right now and refuse to go to the doctor to find out. (I know that’s not a good thing lol) It rubs in my family and I’m from the south, too...know all about that comfort food! I have 100+ pounds to lose and am just starting out. Let’s be friends!
  • Amy4President
    Amy4President Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Diagnosed about a week ago. So far medication and diet have lowered my blood sugar but it’s still pretty new to me. Most likely type 2 but not confirmed yet. Feel free to add me!