Following the recommended 2000 calorie intake.

Options
Hi all,
Nutrition labels are designed at a 2000 calorie intake. Does anyone have any insight to how the nutrition changes if you consume more or less than 2000? I've always wondered about that. Why do the labels need to specify based on 2000 calories unless the nutritional info changes depending on you calorie intake. Just thought I would pose this topic out to the forums to see what people have to say on it. Thanks!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Nutrition labels are designed at a 2000 calorie intake. Does anyone have any insight to how the nutrition changes if you consume more or less than 2000? I've always wondered about that. Why do the labels need to specify based on 2000 calories unless the nutritional info changes depending on you calorie intake. Just thought I would pose this topic out to the forums to see what people have to say on it. Thanks!

2,000 cals is just what they consider the recommended calorie consumption for the "average" sized person. They picked a number to determine the RDA %s for. How many calories you eat doesn't affect the grams of something it's recommended you get, just the % of your calories it will be.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

If you eat more of something you get more nutrition from it. If you eat less of something you get less.
  • starpoweractivate
    starpoweractivate Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. Very informative! 😊
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    The only thing that would change is the percent of RDA a particular micro is. All hard numbers would remain the same.

Actually, it's the macro percentages (fat, protein, carbs, sugar, total calories, maybe fiber) that would change. Micronutrient RDAs aren't based on your calorie intake.