Can anyone help with cooking chicken breasts (without the oven)

Options
I am trying to cook more, but always seem to overcook chicken. It never turns out right for me when I use the slow cooker, so I prefer either the stovetop or Instant Pot. I also have an air fryer, though I doubt that's good for it unless they're breaded.

I just need like a dumbed down version for chicken breasts that aren't super tough. Help?!

*Unfortunately, I can't use the oven because we are having a heat wave here and don't have A/C - so I'm not all about that torture.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    If my priorities were not heating up the house and not overcooking the chicken, I would cube the breasts (I'm assuming boness/skinless?) and stir fry them, adding a sauce. Or buy something other than chicken breasts.
  • JustaGirlNamedJenn
    JustaGirlNamedJenn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If my priorities were not heating up the house and not overcooking the chicken, I would cube the breasts (I'm assuming boness/skinless?) and stir fry them, adding a sauce. Or buy something other than chicken breasts.

Ok I could probably do that. Yeah, they're just the boneless skinless chicken breasts. Individually wrapped, so I probably could do just one.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Chicken thighs are better, jmo.
  • JustaGirlNamedJenn
    Options
    Chicken thighs are better, jmo.

I know a lot of people say that, but right now I'm just trying to use what I already have.

• Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    What the previous poster said. You have to pound them out to a consistent thickness so they cook evenly.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    You can butterfly them before pounding them flat. This provides a more uniform thickness w/less (or no) pounding needed.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    In the instant pot, I do whatever liquid, and cook 30 mins and let the pressure release on its own. At that point you can shred it, which I like best for prepared ahead.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Instant pot would be good for good juicy chicken breasts. Maybe I'm not particular but I like chicken breasts a lot and they are fantastic source of protein. I have thighs occasionally but they don't give me as much bang for my caloric buck so to speak.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Key is pounding the breast to even thickness. Season breast with spices/herbs of choice. Heat 1/2 tbsp of oil of choice over medium high heat. When hot , place chicken in hot frying pan. Cook 1 minute without moving. Turn breast over. Reduce heat to low. Cover pan and cook 10 minutes. Do not lift lid! Remove from heat, and leave lid on for 10 minutes. Again, do not lift lid! After this you can check for internal temperature, with an instant read thermometer, but it’s always been done for me so I no longer check it. Juicy and moist every time.

I can relate to no a/c. We don’t have it either. However, I was thinking of starting a fire in the wood stove last night (put a sweatshirt on instead, something wrong about a fire on June 11th). 😳
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,620 Member
    Options
    Use a meat thermometer, and cook to 72C so you don't overcook. An instant read meat thermometer costs less than $10 and takes as much room to store as an extra fork.

For stir fry, slice the chicken against the grain, and toss in cornstarch (which forms a protective barrier to help keep it tender) before frying in a non stick pan. You will need the nonstick pan as otherwise the cornstarch will stick to bottom of the pan unless you use quite a lot of oil.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-moist-tender-chicken-breasts-every-time-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-36891 this has always worked really well for me. I tend to stick to the thighs now as well but sometimes there is just a really good sale. lol

ETA after reading more i see @missysippy930 has posted just about the same thing. Either way the the website has a lot of other how to's that i have learned a lot from if anyone is interested.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    In the instant pot, I do whatever liquid, and cook 30 mins and let the pressure release on its own. At that point you can shred it, which I like best for prepared ahead.

+1 and add a bunch of yummy seasoning! I like Mrs Dash chicken seasoning.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    The best way I've found to cook chicken is to put a little butter or low-fat spread on both sides, cover in a mixture of thyme, garlic powder, paprika and salt, heat a dry pan as hot as it will physically go, and drop 'em in. Once the whiteness has spread most of the way up the edges, turn them over and do the other side. If they're done properly, both sides will be pretty much blackened (and the kitchen may also be full of smoke...)

The result is incredibly juicy and flavourful.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

+1 and add a bunch of yummy seasoning! I like Mrs Dash chicken seasoning.

Yep, easy peasy.
    Sometimes I do plain chicken broth because I'll be able to flavour it as I go as I eat it. Salsa is also great to cook it in.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    The air fryer is about the only way I cook chicken any more. Doesn't need to be breaded, I just season it with whatever, cut the breast into 2-3 roughly equal chunks and air fry for about 7 minutes. Comes out just fine, doesn't heat up the house and I don't have to waste a bunch of time cooking or doing the clean up you have to do with pots and pans.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    ^^

yep, i use the air fryer. i have a big one so i can fit 4 normal sized breasts in there. i don't bread or anything, just season. tastes awesome.
  • JustaGirlNamedJenn
    Options
    Yay so many awesome tips thank you!

I'll be honest.. I'm most excited about trying it in the air fryer. It seems like the easiest way for someone as lazy as I am. What temp?
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Yay so many awesome tips thank you!

I'll be honest.. I'm most excited about trying it in the air fryer. It seems like the easiest way for someone as lazy as I am. What temp?
    With air fryers you're best bet is to test it out and see what the optimum cooking time is. I've done it in mine for about 15mins, turning occasionally.