Soba noodles!

Options
I can't believe I've never had these!

My school cafeteria was serving them today, with a bit of shredded scallion, carrot, and a drizzle of oil. I'm always cautious about pasta. but the chef (who knows me) goes "Chill, they're soba--made from buckwheat and whole grain." I take a modest portion. When I logged it, I discovered to my delight that a cooked cup of soba noodles is only around 120 calories. Better yet, the noodle has quite a bit of protein and fiber. It's a really good food!

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options

My school cafeteria was serving them today, with a bit of shredded scallion, carrot, and a drizzle of oil. I'm always cautious about pasta. but the chef (who knows me) goes "Chill, they're soba--made from buckwheat and whole grain." I take a modest portion. When I logged it, I discovered to my delight that a cooked cup of soba noodles is only around 120 calories. Better yet, the noodle has quite a bit of protein and fiber. It's a really good food!
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this...how did they taste? I'll be interested when you say it didn't taste like cardboard.:laugh:
  • Phoenixflame
    Options
    They taste kind of nutty, in a good way. Granted, mine were cooked with scallions and carrots. But they aren't a special diet food, just a kind of Asian noodle made from buckwheat.

Apparently, it was a historically popular food in Tokyo because the aristocrats, with all their nutritionally void white rice, were susceptible to beriberi. Eating soba, a high-thiamine food, helped to prevent it.
  • sweetapplepi
    Options

What??? I want some! :laugh: I'm curious how they taste as well. That dish the cafeteria served sounds soo yummy! Me and hubby are going mini-grocery shopping tomorrow, so I'm going to try to find them and try them for myself! Thanks for the post! :flowerforyou:
  • sweetapplepi
    Options
    They taste kind of nutty, in a good way. Granted, mine were cooked with scallions and carrots. But they aren't a special diet food, just a kind of Asian noodle made from buckwheat.

Apparently, it was a historically popular food in Tokyo because the aristocrats, with all their nutritionally void white rice, were susceptible to beriberi. Eating soba, a high-thiamine food, helped to prevent it.

Sounds so yummy! I hope I find them tomorrow!
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

You mean I get introduced to a new food, and I get a short history lesson?! You need to post this kind of stuff more often!!! Thanks, Phoenixflame!!!:drinker:
  • epmuh8
    Options
    they're an awesome substitute for pasta. i used to eat them quite regularly...you can find them in most asian grocery stores or sometimes in the international/asian food section. thanks for reminding me that i can include these noodles in my menu!
  • miasuperstar
    Options
    That's awesome!! I've been looking for some sort of pasta rice replacement since they have so many calories. Never heard of them though- do they cook like udon noodles and other sort of asian noodles? Like, boil them in water?
  • Phoenixflame
    Options
    Lol, I'm a history geek.

I guess I've found my niche--Banks and Songbyrdsweet can supply all the science, I can supply the history.

The history of food is fascinating!

Random Phoen!x fact:

Respect the Middle Ages! There is this silly notion that the people of the Middle Ages used so much salt and spice because they had to cover up the taste of rotten food. No. In fact, a butcher or baker would be in HUGE trouble for selling spoiled meat or stale bread. Remember, rotten food makes you sick. Instead, the salts were used to preserve the food and the spices were used to mollify the salt and provide flavor.

The soba noodles are easily recognizable because they are a brownish gray color.

I've never made them myself, but I would assume they cook like any other noodle.
  • BxMom
    BxMom Posts: 363
    Options
    Just wanted to add that if you want some good receipes that include Soba Noodles; Food Network and Allreceipe.com have some pretty good ones

Food Network - Honey Jalapeno Chicken with Sesame Soba Noodles
    Allreciepe.com - Soba Noodles with Scallops in Tomato-Pepper Sauce
  • miasuperstar
    Options
    Just wanted to add that if you want some good receipes that include Soba Noodles; Food Network and Allreceipe.com have some pretty good ones

Food Network - Honey Jalapeno Chicken with Sesame Soba Noodles
    Allreciepe.com - Soba Noodles with Scallops in Tomato-Pepper Sauce

mmmm ,both sound quite tasty! thanks. dinner tomorrow might not be so boring afterall!
  • miasuperstar
    Options
    Ooh i just found this too- soba noodle salad from Healthy recipes.com- sounds like perfect leftover lunch meal!

Serve with grilled salmon and a green vegetable such as snow peas for a fabulously different meal.

1/3 cup orange juice
    2 teaspoons honey
    1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon sesame oil
    1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
    1 teaspoon minced ginger root
    2 cups cooked soba noodles
    1 cup bean sprouts
    1/2 cup sliced scallions

In a medium bowl, whisk together first six ingredients. Toss in remaining ingredients and serve.
  • miliz
    miliz Posts: 7
    Options
    They are also great in a noodle salad of sorts. I like peas, bell peppers, scallions, ginger, and a little sesame oil and rice vinegar to top it off! Oh, and I will sometimes add a little natural peanut butter for a change.
  • Mrs_Ford
    Mrs_Ford Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Oh, they are awesome! They are a BIG staple in Japan. My friend Misty is going over to teach there for a whole year & I got her started on them a few months back...we're both in love! :heart:
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    They are too high in carbs for me!!