Lingering Stomach Issue?

Options
Hi all!

My name is Janelle and I recently lost about 15 lbs over the last 6 months through my diet but I have been having a lingering issue over the past week.

It's a bit TMI but I didn't know where else to ask so here I am. I am frequently passing gas during the day and at night no matter eat. Even if I eat no dairy products it still happens. I try and drink peptobismal it still happens. I'm not sure what it could be. I do know that it stops for a bit after I eat but then slowly starts back.

I think another factor could be that I am constantly walking 40 mins a day, 20 mins to and from where I work since last week. Exercising, especially squats and similar activities, do cause me to pass gas after I work out.

If anyone has any advice on how to handle this, it would be much appreciated.

Replies

• eccentricplaza
    eccentricplaza Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I tend to pass gas when I run, and I always get gas in the gym if I’ve had a lot of fiber. Maybe look into the elimination diet? I used to eat green apples and peanut butter multiple times in a day (I was on a rampage for a couple months in a row) and I got sensitive with severe gas pains that woke me up at night followed by nausea, and diarrhea for the next 48 hours. I did BRATs as recommended by my physician at the time and a few weeks later when I tried to have a Granny Smith apple it happened all over again. I tried one more time a month after that and again! I now stick to pink ladies and red delicious.

Anymore I just have to limit how much fiber I take in. I used to eat a good amount of shredded wheat and broccoli. I’ve kept an eye on my reactions, I’ve found that only a couple times a week can I get away with having those items and avoid being too bloated from gas. If I make them a daily or every other day menu item... hehe... back to sulking in the corner at the gym and at work :/
  • jnelson2017
    jnelson2017 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I tend to pass gas when I run, and I always get gas in the gym if I’ve had a lot of fiber. Maybe look into the elimination diet? I used to eat green apples and peanut butter multiple times in a day (I was on a rampage for a couple months in a row) and I got sensitive with severe gas pains that woke me up at night followed by nausea, and diarrhea for the next 48 hours. I did BRATs as recommended by my physician at the time and a few weeks later when I tried to have a Granny Smith apple it happened all over again. I tried one more time a month after that and again! I now stick to pink ladies and red delicious.

Anymore I just have to limit how much fiber I take in. I used to eat a good amount of shredded wheat and broccoli. I’ve kept an eye on my reactions, I’ve found that only a couple times a week can I get away with having those items and avoid being too bloated from gas. If I make them a daily or every other day menu item... hehe... back to sulking in the corner at the gym and at work :/

I will look at the elimination diet to figure out what's wrong with me. I definitely will take a look at my fiber intake. Thank you so much for your insight! Really helps!
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    . I am frequently passing gas during the day and at night no matter eat. Even if I eat no dairy products it still happens.

Am I married to you? :D

I assume you've already googled things like this...
    https://verywellhealth.com/when-should-i-worry-about-passing-too-much-gas-796838

It may not be an abnormal amount of gas, just more than you remember from previously. Good luck figuring it out, it can be embarrassing.

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Do you eat fast? If so, you could pass that air out either as burps or gas.

Also, there are many foods that can make people gassy, i.e. brocolli, beans, etc.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Sugar alcohols (xylitol, sorbitol, sometimes erythritol to a lesser extent, etc.) cause gas in some people, and these are common ingredients in some lower calorie foods. You might try checking ingredient labels to see if you’re eating these things, and avoiding them for a little while to see if that helps. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/InteractiveNutritionFactsLabel/factsheets/Sugar_Alcohols.pdf