Frozen Ready meals!

Options
Hi all :)
I'm currently eating a lot of M&S Count On Us frozen meals which are all under 400 calories. Should I go with the calories on the packaging or weigh it out. If so, how would I weigh it out? Frozen in the tray? Defrosted? Do I subtract grams for the tray? I'm probably overthinking this a little too much...

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    The most accurate thing is to weigh it.

If the meal needs to be eaten in the tray, then you could do one of these things:
    1) clean and weigh an empty tray and note that weight for future reference. Then, next time you eat that meal, weigh it in the tray and subtract the tray’s weight. This assumes all the trays are the same weight, which may not be true, but it allows you to have an idea of your calories before you eat.
    2) weigh the meal plus tray, eat, then weigh the empty tray and subtract. This gives you a more accurate weight, but you don’t know what it is until after you’ve eaten.

If the meal doesn’t need to be eaten in the tray, you can put a plate or bowl on the scale, tare, then put the food on the plate/bowl. The downside here is that you have to wash the plate or bowl.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I weigh it frozen in the tray and then weigh the tray when I'm done to subtract that out.

So, if the dinner weighs 398 grams and the Nutrition Facts say it's supposed to weigh 355 grams, I'll enter it as 1.12 servings or 398 grams, whichever works with the database entry that I'm using.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    you do well to ask... package amounts may vary. I found this

https://fatsecret.co.uk/calories-nutrition/marks-spencer-count-on-us

which seems useful.

I would just weigh it on the plate, and if the amount differs significantly from the serving amount listed alter it accordingly. If it's not a significant difference just eat and enjoy.