Intermittent fasting or eating 5 times a day

Options
Hello everyone I need help here, what’s better? I have tried intermittent fasting and so far I got used to and it’s working but not sure if it should be better eat my goal calories for a day within suggested 5 meals per day (each every three hours) any feedback will be appreciated

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Personal preference
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Neither one is better for weight loss. Weight loss requires only a calorie deficit and has nothing to do with when or how often you eat. Unless you have medical conditions that require a certain eating schedule, you should just follow the schedule you prefer.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Yeah, personal preference.

I don't do either, I eat three times a day without a window (I like to have breakfast and dinner somewhere other than work!), but if I had to choose between the two I'd IF, as eating 5 times a day would make me miserable. Other people find eating 5 times a day very helpful for them.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    will just echo the above - what works for YOU. and that will vary by person.

me, i eat 5-6x a day.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Do what works for you. I've tried both those ways, but currently do neither as neither really works for my appetite. Losing/maintaining weight is not dependent on how often you eat, but on how many calories you eat.
  • Baltimorescott
    Baltimorescott Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This would definitely vary by person. And for me it might depend on my current goal.

I'm not trying to lose weigh right now, so between the alternatives I guess it is Goldilocks Rule for me: Intermittent fasting, have not tried, but I think it would swing between too much food during eating window (feeling stuffed), or not enough during fast (hungry); 5 meals: I have tried; meals are too small to every really feel satisfied; 3 solid meals + mid-afternoon snack = just right.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone I need help here, what’s better? I have tried intermittent fasting and so far I got used to and it’s working but not sure if it should be better eat my goal calories for a day within suggested 5 meals per day (each every three hours) any feedback will be appreciated

You answered your own question. Stick to what works unless it stops and if it does just be prepared to adapt.

• CarleyMarie83
    CarleyMarie83 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    IF works for me, I feel more satisfied and lose weight easier.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    IF didn't work well for me and had a detrimental effect on my health (I am not in good health to start with). I prefer to eat a large breakfast, medium lunch, small afternoon snack, small dinner and then a tiny snack before bed. Sometimes I have a midmorning snack, too, if I'm hungry and if breakfast was smaller.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    IF helps me get rid of fake and habit hunger.
  • CarleyMarie83
    CarleyMarie83 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    IF helps me get rid of fake and habit hunger.

the same for me too.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    There is no "better", there is "better suited". How do you prefer to eat? What feels easier? What helps you regulate your calories better? In my case, I didn't present myself with that choice. I IF when it feels like the easier thing to do, and I eat several times a day when it feels like the easier thing to do.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I would commit murder if I did IF. So I eat 4-6 smaller meals per day. On weekends I try to wait until 8 or 9am to have a huge breakfast, then have lunch and dinner (particularly if I need to bank calories for eating out or something), but I prefer my usual work week routine of breakfast, first lunch, second lunch, second lunch dessert, dinner, post-dinner snacky desserty thing.

And, when i'm not cutting calories, I also add in there pre/intra workout calories from pomegranate and/or dark chocolate. For the pumps.