Diet Pepsi or Pepsi Next???

I have kicked so many bad habits but kicking diet pop from my diet has been tough. I can usually get off pop (soda as some call it) for about a week, then I'm back on it. I don't like coffee or tea, so I use diet pepsi to give me that caffeine kick in the morning. I'm a financial advisor and the stock market opens at 8:30am, so I need to be ready to go!!!

So my question is, with all the bad press about diet pop (some tests are showing possible higher risk of heart attack, stroke, cancer, increased risk of obesity and related health problems such as type 2 diabetes, etc), is it better for me to make the swith to something like Pepsi Next that has 60% less sugar than regular Pepsi? Or is the media just trying to scare us like they do with so many other things??? Ideally, I would like to save diet soda for an occasional treat and just drink water, but mentally I feel like I NEED the caffeine.

Examples of 12oz cans:

A can of Pepsi Next.........60 calores, 15g of sugar, 16g of carbs, 43mg of caffeine, and 60mg of sodium.
A can of Pepsi................150 calories, 41g of sugar, 41g of carbs, 38mg of caffeine, and 30mg of sodium.
A can of Diet Pepsi............0 calories, 0g of sugar, og of carbs, 35mg of caffeine, and 35mg of sodium.

Replies

• mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    I'd take real sugar over fake crap (that will kill you). Regular pop also has that diabetes inducing high fructose corn syrupe. They sell real soda with sugar and all the stuff that you love so well (and can legitimatly have) without the crap that hasn't really been tested and we know causes problems.
  • I completely know how you feel - I too do not drink coffee or tea and am well known for always having a diet Pepsi or Coke on my desk - people cannot understand how I can drink it first thing in the morning but hey, it works for me!!

I also work in the Financial Industry ( Trainer/Team Leader for Sun Life ) - maybe it is the industry!!

I have gone over this with my doctor many times and he said there are so many different reports out there on whether sweetners are bad for you, is the sugar better, is coffee better?? He told me to try this: for every can of diet Pepsi I want, to have a glass of water first, then if I still want the pop, it is ok. This works pretty good, have cut way down my consumption of pop and up'd my water intake - I was really bad, drinking many many cans a day, now I find that I still need mine first thing in the am, but after that, I rarely have another - might work for you?? Just a suggestion!
  • camckinney
    camckinney Posts: 61 Member
    I enjoy pop as well, and drank diet pepsi (for all the naysayers I also drink water, tea, etc) but am finding that diet sunkist and mountain dew just feel better when I drink it. It feels lighter. I know, weird, but I have pulled away from drinking diet pepsi, coke zero and diet dr. pepper. As far as reports on the health of some things. I remember a time when they said apples caused cancer (or something like that). Seriously I don't think they know for sure about anything. If truth be told, if we truly wanted to avoid anything that could cause health problems we would only eat from a garden, our own farm of animals (fed appropriately) and water.
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    I keep hearing lots of scary things about aspartame and sweeteners in general (apparently the rates of things like MS also go through the roof). That said, I do like my diet pepsi. I just make sure to drink far less of it than I used to.

The reason I switched to sugar free pop is because I am a type 2 diabetic. Generally, though, I stick to coffee for my caffeine and leave the pop for a treat. It took a while to get used to, especially drinking it black, but now I like it. If you don't have sugar issues (and the taste is okay), I'd say try the Pepsi Next. If you still like Diet Pepsi better, stick with it but keep it in moderation.
  • klamont9
    klamont9 Posts: 59
    Pepsi Next will be my drink of choice every morning from now on. I hate having the extra sugar each day, but it's probably better than drinking diet pop.