Best Packaged Sandwich meat?

Options
Trying to eat better and was wondering what the best type of packaged sandwich meat is the best. I purchased deli meat the other day and it's so expensive were I live $6.49-$7.29 a pound I have to feed 6 in the house and trying to work on a budget here. Any advice would be good. Also the kids like white bread but I know for trying to loose weight it's not good for me do you recommend whole wheat or 9 grain?

Replies

• justagrrl898
    Options
    I also would like to know about the packaged meat. I get the kroger generic meat (one sandwich to package) and its LOADED with sodium, but only 86 cents a bag. So Im interested in that.

Also, my bread is Aunt Millie's - Healthy Goodness Light Whole Grain Bread, 2 slices. 2 slices are only 70 cal, instead of 1 slice being over 100 in other breads. It really is tasty too!!!!
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    I buy a whole chicken and roast it, then carve it up for salads, sandwiches (well, not anymore as I don't eat bread), etc.

You get a heck of a lot more for your money, and if you put it in the oven with other stuff (baked potatoes for example) it isn't using energy just to cook teh chicken :o)
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Why not cook up chicken breasts for a sandwich? I am not sure about deli meat at allo, but I know it's highly processed, maybe get the kind that is cut off the bone?
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    NONE!!!! full of salt. Roast your own and cut it up. Cheaper and you control the sodium!
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Depends on where you are from, but I also must diet on a budget. I get dietz and watson deli meats which are 4-6$ per pound. They have less cals and sodium than other deli meats. Also, you can still have white bread just get the light kind. I get nickels white or italian lite bread. Just 35 cals a slice, and 8g carbs. Avg loaf of regular bread is what, $1.25? Nickels is about $1.50-2.00. Not too bad.

Also it helps to buy 1/2lb of meat that is just yours and get the same kind of meat that is cheaper for the rest of the family. My boys know not to eat my light string cheese, and that they have their own. :tongue:
  • kcwonder
    kcwonder Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    sorry wrong forum
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing about deli meat is the sodium. It is a no win situation, even if you get the low sodium version. I go with the hillshire farm deli packages. I am able to get them pre packaged and they are even slices so the portioning works out. They also have many varieties, I can buy family sized packages and they stay fresh until you open them. (you can get them at walmart, but the supermarkets sometimes have a generic version that is cheaper.)

On the bread, I buy my kids white bread (there are 5 of them, so I have a total of 7 to feed) but, I use the arnold sandwich thins for me. I love the rye and they are only 110 calories. I toast them with peanut butter for breakfast sometimes. I also use them in place of hamburger buns and for tuna fish sandwiches.
  • TipMcE
    TipMcE Posts: 158
    Options
    Hillshire Farms has nice lunch meats that are nitrite free. I think $4.99 a package at my store (but I can't remember the quantity - might be 12 oz). They last a while before opening so I'll get a couple of packets when they're on sale. I usually get the costco turkey breast though - really good value for money and large packets so you're not running to the store immediately to buy more. Do you have a membership or costco near you? With a big family you'll recoup the cost of the membership easily. I'm sure BJs and Sams club have similar products.

As for bread, I think any multi grain/whole wheat is good so get whatever you like. Just check that the first ingredient is whole wheat flour. The whole grain products usually have a wheat symbol on the front so they're easy to spot. Also check the labels for sugar content (sometimes in the form of molasses) and calories. Whole grain products are often sweetened up, which sort of defeats the purpose of a healthy bread! We like 7 grain bread. We tried the 9 and 12 and they were too grainy. Right now I am eating Pepperidge Farms light style soft wheat bread. It only has 45 cal per slice. The slices are smaller than regular sandwich bread though.
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i prefer boar's head deluxe roast beef. way less sodium and more protein. i sometimes get the ow sodium turkey but its still loaded with sodium. i make my sandwich without bread. romaine lettuce makes a great wrap and is very good for you. when i do eat bread its Arnold's whole wheat. It is high in cals but i dont look at calories but nutritional value first. i adjust cals by the amount i eat or eat it on days which i do lots of cardio.